Required advised warning notices

jddevel

Featured Posts

Just now, jddevel said:

Besides notices/labels indicating location of fuel shut off valve, gas shut off valve and battery isolating switches what warning labels are required or advised on your narrowboat please - leisure craft only.

Fuel / Pump out / (and i think water)

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

then t least you will know what that other boat is doing

Mmmm. Most  (tongue in cheek ) boat owners understand the rules and experience helps with the watchful eye. Trouble is around the corner normally at the worst possible place is the 10 berth 72 footer with two families on holiday but I take your point.

8 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Mmmm. Most  (tongue in cheek ) boat owners understand the rules and experience helps with the watchful eye. Trouble is around the corner normally at the worst possible place is the 10 berth 72 footer with two families on holiday but I take your point.

Maybe most (?) don't actually understand the 'rules' as the law states you must use the sound signals.

7 hours ago, jddevel said:

Besides notices/labels indicating location of fuel shut off valve, gas shut off valve and battery isolating switches what warning labels are required or advised on your narrowboat please - leisure craft only.

Are you asking what is required for a BSS examination or to be able to comply with the RCD directive and so CE mark your craft?

If CE marking there are more labels required than listed in the BSS.

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

Are you asking what is required for a BSS examination or to be able to comply with the RCD directive and so CE mark your craft?

If CE marking there are more labels required than listed in the BSS.

More a case of what with experience beside those "required" by authority boaters have found helpful

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The minimum requirements are listed in the BSS.

I would also suggest a table of sound signals is attached next to the helm position, then t least you will know what that other boat is doing and respond / react as necessary

Sounds Signals.jpg

Fat lot of good they are. 99% of boaters haven't a clue what they mean.

But from the smallest acorn ........

If we can encourage some to start using them maybe it will become the norm and 99% WILL understand them - or - do we just not bother because its too difficult.

I agree with you with regard to Inland waterway boaters - but remember that Inland boaters are an insignificant number of total UK boaters - and I bet that actually the vast majority of BOATERS do know the signals.

99% know they exist, 1% know (or use) them.

In a number of years boating in the UK and Europe I only used or heard two in anger. Firstly, one long blast - I am entering the fairway and secondly a variety of blasts when asked to do so on French canals, when approaching an obstacle or blind bend for example.

When entering a big river (The Lek or Waal for example) from a large lock (100 metres x 20) between high walls you need to let other boats know you are coming because you can't see them and they can't see you. Not that the big commercial boats would be able to change course quickly but occasionally they would answer, alerting us to their presence and warning us to be careful. 

On the canals commercial peniches or hotel boats have limited ability to change course or stop so its us in smaller boats (usually) that need to keep out of their way.

In addition you have the raft of CEVNI (Code Européen des Voies de la Navigation Intérieureus) waterways regulations which incorporates visual signs, buoyage or markings plus lighting and flags on the boats themselves. If you want in idea of what's involved scroll down this site  http://www.cevni.info/

Blue boards is one thing you do come across quite often and even if you don't have one yourself (smaller boats are not obliged to have them I believe) it's worth knowing about in case a thousand tonne boat comes at you on the wrong side of the river.

One member on here, Tam Murrell has produced an excellent book explaining these regulations, one place you can get it (I think) is: https://www.mailspeedmarine.com/g17-european-waterways-regulations-the-cevni-rules-explained.html

Trundling along The Ashby you really don't need much, apart from common sense, but it may be worth learning a little of the regulations when traveling on large rivers. It's like basic First Aid, you never need it till you need it.

15 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

(snip)

I agree with you with regard to Inland waterway boaters - but remember that Inland boaters are an insignificant number of total UK boaters - and I bet that actually the vast majority of BOATERS do know the signals.

Agreed, with the addition of "I do not agree to be overtaken" (long, then short), which is a general "No", as long, short, long, short is a general "Yes".

My view is the only common signal you hear the one long blast, and really it is just being used as an "I am here" signal.  

I have had turning round to port twice by big trip boats, and only one time have had a private narrowboat use one, in Bancroft Basin in Stratford of all places, was 3 short when he was backing up to a free pontoon when we had just come out of the lock from the river.

1 hour ago, john6767 said:

My view is the only common signal you hear the one long blast, and really it is just being used as an "I am here" signal.  

I would agree with you. For the canals system I think either a single blast or a couple of beeps are sufficient, most people know what you mean and in many cases you have visual contact with the helmsman, where you don't have visual contact e.g. bridges etc a quick "I am here" generally  does the job.

However steam boats should use all of the signals simply because it sounds good. 

Rivers, oceans and ports are another matter

Edited by reg