Oil pipe disconnected itself on SR3

The Ents

Featured Posts

I had to rev the engine hard in reverse for maybe 15 seconds, after which there was perhaps a new bearing noise, ie ball race noise from the gearbox. I stopped and checked oil levels etc. All ok. I restarted the engine and on engaging forward there was a loud, Very Bad, noise. I thought I had lost a tooth in the reduction gear.

I got the boat towed back to our mooring.

Turning the engine by the crank and also from the Propshaft produced no noises, so i started the engine. There was no oil pressure at all on the guage.

After some thought I stripped the crank case door and found the thin oil pipe which feeds the valve gear and the oil guage had disconnected itself from the main oil rail, resulting in no pressure at the guage.

So two questions,:

Is this pipe falling out of the union, which is a rubber nipple in a brass fitting, a normal failure? How to avoid it coming out again?

Secondly, with this pipe disconnected there will still have been some oil pressure at the crank. Does the panel think I have damaged the crank/bearings?

I cannot get back to the boat until Saturday. I guess i should look at the big ends even though it now runs ok wit 40psi cold pressure.

Advice please,

Worried of Middlewich.

Mike.

Thanks for that Richard. Any ideas why it disconnected itself? I have reassembled it with their old rubber nipple, making sure the pipe is fully in the register at the back of the union and it seems firm.

Any suggestions what the horrible noise could be?

Mike.

• 1 month later...
On 28/07/2017 at 09:55, The Ents said:

Thanks for that Richard. Any ideas why it disconnected itself? I have reassembled it with their old rubber nipple, making sure the pipe is fully in the register at the back of the union and it seems firm.

Any suggestions what the horrible noise could be?

Mike.

Probably a lump of something on the prop?

50 minutes ago, The Ents said:

Don't think so. The disconnected pipe stopped the oil to the rockers, maybe the valve was sticking and clouting the piston?

I don't think you would mistake that one. If the noise is gone, forget about it

Richard