list of yards with cranes

mantis

Featured Posts

Hi all

Is there such a thing as a reference guide/list that shows the yards with cranes?  I'm looking for somewhere to lift in with canal access to London.  I'm sorry, but I don't know where to start. I have found the maps and charts, but can't find a cross reference with yards/facilities.

sorry for the numbskull newbie question. (I'm traditionally a rag and stick person, converting to inland boating)

thanks

36 minutes ago, mantis said:

Hi all

Is there such a thing as a reference guide/list that shows the yards with cranes?  I'm looking for somewhere to lift in with canal access to London.  I'm sorry, but I don't know where to start. I have found the maps and charts, but can't find a cross reference with yards/facilities.

sorry for the numbskull newbie question. (I'm traditionally a rag and stick person, converting to inland boating)

thanks

Nearest yards with cranes to London are P & S Marine at Cassiobury (Grand Union Canal) and Stanstead Abbots Marina (River Lee)

Tim

thanks both.  I think the Cassiobury one is the one mentioned by our builder.  We are expecting a delivery in January and will plan a passage to Limehouse from there.  Stand by for lots of questions - transferring from sailing to inland power is a bigger change than I initially thought! Our universe previously ended at the first bridge... :-)

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What size boat do you want lifted in?

Crucial information missing!

Thanks - it will be 60' wide beam.    

Don't necessarily need closest to London as we may have the time to use the opportunity to take a longer trip and explore a bit (and get to know the boat ) 

On 28/07/2017 at 08:47, mantis said:

Thanks - it will be 60' wide beam.    

Don't necessarily need closest to London as we may have the time to use the opportunity to take a longer trip and explore a bit (and get to know the boat ) 

Ok that narrows down your options to just a handful of yards.

Thames and Kennet marina at Reading can do it, and possibly P&S Marine near Watford as previously mentioned. 

That's about it really! Have you asked your hull builder? They will know.

On 28/07/2017 at 09:08, Psycloud said:

Alternatively you could get a mobile crane unit and put it in at any yard that will allow you to use their wharf for such things.

This is the hard bit. Most yards won't, citing insurance complications etc.

Far easier to use a yard that already has a suitable crane.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is the hard bit. Most yards won't, citing insurance complications etc.

Far easier to use a yard that already has a suitable crane.

Indeed - it's just given the size of the boat (although we don't know it it's fully fitted) it could be 30 ton so as you've already said, that narrows it down a bit :)

On 28/07/2017 at 10:08, Psycloud said:

Indeed - it's just given the size of the boat (although we don't know it it's fully fitted) it could be 30 ton so as you've already said, that narrows it down a bit :)

A bit? I think it narrows it down to 2!

But especially difficult to find a wharf that will take the weight AND doesn't have a crane, AND will allow it. 

P&S seems the obvious choice.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

On ‎02‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 17:29, J R ALSOP said:

Been and seen it today as they were rigging it, it is a monster, if it will fit the canal it will lift it. I told told them they could lift a pair out together with it.

From the P & S Facebook page

crane.jpg