Battery % monitor that works with solar

GUMPY

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

But surely in the specific case you cite, the Smartgauge will have been reading a fairly low SoC giving a clue that all wasn't right with energy supply? People say the SG doesn't work well with solar but there has never been any hard evidence, has there?

It was actually reading 75% which is well away from the 12.25v........

My first reaction was 75% that's fine then I looked at the volts 12.2 to 12.25 with minimal load.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

It was actually reading 75% which is well away from the 12.25v........

My first reaction was 75% that's fine then I looked at the volts 12.2 to 12.25 with minimal load.

Interesting, but it would be good to have more information eg what actually was the load, how were you measuring the voltage (SG display or something else?)

Anyway, if you take my advice re: a AH counting SoC meter in addition to the SG, it will indicate the correct SoC (if you adjust the battery capacity and get to 100% SoC from time to time). Use the SG to know the actual capacity.

• Love 1

15 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Interesting, but it would be good to have more information eg what actually was the load, how were you measuring the voltage (SG display or something else?)

Voltage was from SG, not the most accurate but convenient. Load was inverter in standby mode never measured but low IIRC <0.3amp from spec.

4 hours ago, smileypete said:

Would be interesting to know the max and min voltage at light loads when a Smartguage is showing ~50%

However I expect most Smartgauge users seldom look at the voltage. :)

I do but then I never get near 50% more like 75%

4 minutes ago, bill brown said:

Sterling have a Power Management Panel - it ain't cheap but it works, you attach the solar to it via a shunt it counts the amps in and out of the batteries. You can find details on Mr Sterlings website.

It's just another Ah counter that will inevitably tell lies unless you correct the battery capacity weekly (which you can't, because you don't know it... we've been here a thousand times). 

9 minutes ago, bill brown said:

Sterling have a Power Management Panel - it ain't cheap but it works, you attach the solar to it via a shunt it counts the amps in and out of the batteries. You can find details on Mr Sterlings website.

Ah - but how many of those amps in have been converted to chemicals in the battery?

Amps in, amps out, amps, & volts will always be accurate but any other reading like % of charge is very unlikely to be unless the users is so well up on such gauges and batteries they do not need to ask such questions.

The other Tony Beat me to it. How many more times do we have to warn against amp hour counters before people take heed.

Edited by Tony Brooks

On 27/07/2017 at 19:38, Loddon said:

I've had an idea involving a push button, contactors and a dummy load........... 

More later........... probably much later.

Well the idea was that using a contactor I could disconnect the solar and place a load on the batteries which would then allow SG to resync and read correctly.  Having had e-mail conversation with Chris, turns out its not needed I just need to stop being human ;)

8 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Well the idea was that using a contactor I could disconnect the solar and place a load on the batteries which would then allow SG to resync and read correctly.  Having had e-mail conversation with Chris, turns out its not needed I just need to stop being human ;)

Knowing Chris I would suspect that he pointed out to you that SG is never likely to be more than about 5% out, maybe 10% max, in which case so what? 

Am I close?