Boat transport companies?

ronnietucker

Featured Posts

Well, I've finally got a boat, but it's in Peterborough. I'm in Glasgow.

Can anyone recommend a haulier? I'm shopping for quotes.

It would probably have to be done overnight as it'd need to arrive here on/before 1pm to have its hull steamed then launched before the marina closed for the day/weekend.

It's a 22ft x 6ft cruiser. Still in the water.

Thanks!

3 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

You sure that's not a cartoon?? ;)

I'll give it a search. Wish me luck. Safe search is off. Anything could happen here... :D

Why not PM Naughty Cal and ask her.

The problem you may have is that you will have to work to the Truck drivers tachograph hours, rather than him working to your 'hours'.

A 22 x 6 should be a 'trailer job' (ie Tony the Tug), it should be cheaper as he won't be on the tacho. - also no need for additional cranes, Tony can drop it in via a slipway - that could save £600+ for two cranes.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The problem you may have is that you will have to work to the Truck drivers tachograph hours, rather than him working to your 'hours'.

A 22 x 6 should be a 'trailer job' (ie Tony the Tug), it should be cheaper as he won't be on the tacho. - also no need for additional cranes, Tony can drop it in via a slipway - that could save £600+ for two cranes.

Ah, not so fast!

Unfortunately, I have to get the hull steamed first, then launched. But the steamers can launch it.

Fingers crossed I can get a good price!

Can thoroughly recommend Tony. 

Shame you didn't need it moving last week when he was up there! 

He works out of Milton Keynes so isn't going to be the closest transport. 

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Assuming there is a slipway at each end. We had to be lifted off the trailer at Inverness which added  £150 to the cost!

37 minutes ago, ronnietucker said:

Found him. Have dropped him an email.

His website is straight out of 1980. Bless him. :)

You might have more luck getting him on Farcebook. 

• Greenie 1

If it is coming from 'fresh water' and the Glasgow water is a 'bit salty' then the green-stuff will drop off.

2 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Can thoroughly recommend Tony. 

Shame you didn't need it moving last week when he was up there! 

He works out of Milton Keynes so isn't going to be the closest transport. 

Assuming there is a slipway at each end. We had to be lifted off the trailer at Inverness which added  £150 to the cost!

Will he not be coming back up to Fort William to pick you up ?

If so he will be passing thru Glasgow and you could 'split the cost' if the timing falls into place.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If it is coming from 'fresh water' and the Glasgow water is a 'bit salty' then the green-stuff will drop off.

Will he not be coming back up to Fort William to pick you up ?

If so he will be passing thru Glasgow and you could 'split the cost' if the timing falls into place.

Bit late. We are back Home!

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Scottish Canals won't let you put a boat in the Lowland Canals unless the hull has been checked for "nasties" and steam cleaned if necessary. This is usually done on the trailer, I think , and I have heard of boats having to sit on the trailer till the next day as the steam cleaner wasn't available. If the boat is going in at Steven Kelvins yard, it is craned in but if it is at Auchinstarry it will be slipped in. If it goes in at Steven Kelvins your first trip will be up the river Carron and through one of the sea locks then up 15 locks to Falkirk. If it goes in at Auchinstarry, you are straight into the canal on the summit level.

haggis 

• Greenie 1

The mooring I'm going for is in Bowling Helenslea, so I'm getting the steaming and launching done at Sandpoint. They can do it in one day. Obviously, I need to book it in the day it's being delivered.

It does mean my maiden voyage will be Sandpoint to Bowling down a bit of the Clyde and through a couple of locks.

Trial by fire! :D

9 hours ago, haggis said:

Scottish Canals won't let you put a boat in the Lowland Canals unless the hull has been checked for "nasties" and steam cleaned if necessary

I didn't know that - but very sensible, more 'care' should be taken about invasive species in the 'southern' canals.

12 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If the boat and trailer combination are more than 3.5 ton you still need a tachometer, unless you tow it with a tractor.

13 minutes ago, eastcoastfisher said:

Ronnie, I'm planning to do the same thing in the next couple of months

If there's any advice or favoured companies it would be appreciated.

We are looking at a mooring at the Helix as its closest to us. Anybody had any experience good or bad there

We moor on the Union canal but have left our boat at the Helix a few times for several weeks (she is actually there just now) and we have never had any problems. It is a tourist attraction so there are always folk wandering about looking at the kelpies and the boats. 

Like Ronnie, your first trip on your boat will be on tidal waters and it may be prudent for you both to make sure your engine is in full working order before you set off !

haggis

• Greenie 1