"A" TYPE SOLAR PANEL BRACKETS

AJAXON

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, New on this forum.......A query if anyone can help. I have recently purchased 2x Panasonic Hit 240w solar panels.

I would like to purchase 2 sets of the "A" type brackets for fitting to my nb roof, as the panels are quite heavy I am looking for the brackets made with 3mm stainless steel. Some time ago some were advertised on Ebay (with one long bracket foot) but I can't find them now. I believe Bimble solar supply brackets made from 2mm s steel

I have recently seen some on a canalworld forum which seem an improvement as they have 2 individual bracket feet so I reckon they will be easier to fit to the curve of the roof, there was a downside being that the adjustable slot was quite short (as they were to accommodate a mushroom vent) I think a price of around £45 (ish)  was mentioned. The drawings were downloadable which I did.... but now I can't find the original post / reply. Can anyone help?

Regards, Ajaxon   

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

No help, but I have 4 Panasonic Hit 250s flat mounted on the roof, i considered them too big for tilting brackets. 

Unless your mooring is perfectly East-West then tilting brackets don't offer you anything anyway. 

26 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I spose it depends how you mount them. 

Indeed but most tilting panels on narrowboats have their longitudinal axis in line with the boat, stern to bow. They therefore tilt to port or starboard. If the boat is moored perfectly east-west then you can tilt them towards the south. If the boat is moored north-south then unless you're going to move them every hour they're best left level. 

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

Indeed but most tilting panels on narrowboats have their longitudinal axis in line with the boat, stern to bow. They therefore tilt to port or starboard. If the boat is moored perfectly east-west then you can tilt them towards the south. If the boat is moored north-south then unless you're going to move them every hour they're best left level. 

Not every hour - that would be daft!

We have been moored up for the last 3 days heading north / south. Late evening tilted east for the next days morning light. Then level at mid day, then west to maximise the evening light (I know, I should get out more;))

Whilst the improvement is not huge, it's enough to motivate me to adjust the tilt if I'm at the boat.

However I do accept that aesthetically flat is better. I'd suggest that the argument is not really about tilting but rather about actually having a reasonable solar setup paired with a reasonably efficient boat....... or not.