It just looks wrong ......

zenataomm

Featured Posts

Since the propensity for welding washers on boat hulls took off I thought the most visual clash was "rivets" where they would never have been.  For example so high on the top bend that they appear to be going through the wooden cant, or so high on the hull side that the rivet head would foul the bent over metal on the inside.

However having just returned from a week out, I now think the chief "ooh no that looks just wrong!" as far as I'm concerned is a much simpler thing but sadder.

I've now spotted a few ex working motors either in working trim or with hidden undercloth conversions sat in marinas, dwarfing everything around them, dull brasses, tied front end onto a pontoon.

I know I'm being precious about it, my memories of 60s - 80s clash with today, guess I'll just go and live in museum. :unsure:

1 minute ago, zenataomm said:

Since the propensity for welding washers on boat hulls took off I thought the most visual clash was "rivets" where they would never have been.  For example so high on the top bend that they appear to be going through the wooden cant, or so high on the hull side that the rivet head would foul the bent over metal on the inside.

However having just returned from a week out, I now think the chief "ooh no that looks just wrong!" as far as I'm concerned is a much simpler thing but sadder.

I've now spotted a few ex working motors either in working trim or with hidden undercloth conversions sat in marinas, dwarfing everything around them, dull brasses, tied front end onto a pontoon.

I know I'm being precious about it, my memories of 60s - 80s clash with today, guess I'll just go and live in museum. :unsure:

Two things there :- Yes my recollection from the 1960's is that working boats always tied stern end against the wharf side. Logical really, as that is where they accessed the back cabin. However, if you are suggesting that all working boats had shiney brass, then I am afraid you are living under an illusion. Yes many boats did sport shiney brass work etc, but many did not, some were so dull that you would be challenged to recognise it as brass. The boats operated by both Ken Dakin, and Billy Brown spring immediately to my mind, both of them outstaning boatmen, but I dont't think either of them even knew what Brasso was.

21 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Often because the lack of dredging prohibits the stern from getting anywhere near the bank.

George

10 minutes ago, philjw said:

Who's in the photos?

1st photo is Jack & Tommy Boswell.

2nd is at Bulls Bridge. I think there may be a Ward, Wain, Mr & Mrs Kaleane  there, the others Mike H has identified but I cannot find where I recorded their names.

Edited by Ray T

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

Non shiny boat and "In the lay-by the boats are waiting."

John & Tommy Boswell.jpg

That is Jack Boswell, who I knew quite well. He was the father of John Henry Boswell who now officiates as Harbour Master at the Braunston Historic Rally. Although I am not quite sure, I think the boy with him is Tommy, John Henry's brother.

During the last few years of Willow Wren's days their boats became increasingly scruffy, and families were often moved onto other boats as their regular boat became unserviceable.  The boat in the picture is a probably a Woolwich (note the habndrails) in which case, it could be Dipper (Bristol).

Just now, Ray T said:

1st photo is John & Tommy Boswell.

2nd is at Bulls Bridge. I think there may be a Wain there, the others Mike H has identified but I cannot find where I recorded their names.

You just beat me to it!!

5 hours ago, philjw said:

Thanks for the identifications. It's good to know that we can still link back to those years.  When you say a Wain, are these the same family as Rex and or Simon Wain known for back cabins?

Rex & Simon, as far as I know are not connected to the canal Wain's I know of.

Picture from Braunston's Boats by Mike Webb. George Wain, leaving Pub Lock, Braunston in Nuneaton with Alperton, bound for Birningum.

GeorgeWain.jpg

Edited by Ray T

6 minutes ago, philjw said:

I have that shot as one of a series of postcards offered  by, I think, Waterways World many years ago. Mine are mounted and I can't now see the details. Thanks

So do I. I also have the book referred to by Ray.

Edited by David Schweizer

5 hours ago, Ray T said:

1st photo is Jack & Tommy Boswell.

2nd is at Bulls Bridge. I think there may be a Ward, Wain, Mr & Mrs Kaleane  there, the others Mike H has identified but I cannot find where I recorded their names.

Middle of the 5 chaps in the second photo is almost certainly George Wain, father to Alice (Lapworth) and Ann and Vera who married brothers Ted and Ken Ward respectively. (There were mant more children than this!....)

It may be Ken Ward on the right of the 5 when he had more hair than he did later on - I'm not sure though.

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Middle of the 5 chaps in the second photo is almost certainly George Wain, father to Alice (Lapworth) and Ann and Vera who married brothers Ted and Ken Ward respectively. (There were mant more children than this!....)

It may be Ken Ward on the right of the 5 when he had more hair than he did later on - I'm not sure though.

"(There were many more children than this!...)"

Mike H " We 'ad no telly in them days."

21 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

Two things there :- Yes my recollection from the 1960's is that working boats always tied stern end against the wharf side. Logical really, as that is where they accessed the back cabin. However, if you are suggesting that all working boats had shiney brass, then I am afraid you are living under an illusion. Yes many boats did sport shiney brass work etc, but many did not, some were so dull that you would be challenged to recognise it as brass. The boats operated by both Ken Dakin, and Billy Brown spring immediately to my mind, both of them outstaning boatmen, but I dont't think either of them even knew what Brasso was.

David, did you ever look in Kens "engine ole"? Brasses were a minor detail