Diesels to be banned

dor

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Electric aeroplanes. 

I'll give it a year before a technologically naïve MP says this in all seriousness.

Hasn't it already been said in all seriousness by the aircraft industry?

I'll see if I can find a quote.

George

23 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Electric aeroplanes. 

I'll give it a year before a technologically naïve MP says this in all seriousness.

Erm.......... http://company.airbus.com/responsibility/airbus-e-fan-the-future-of-electric-aircraft/Programme.html

Edited by Mac of Cygnet
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well they have never hit any of their other targets so why should the manage this one. I think the only way it will happen is if there are no body making them any more.

The ultimate on this must be "Green electricity" where they bring the "green" fuel half way round the world on oil burning ships and diesel burning trains.

You forgot Biomass!

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

But we do get a lot of rain, and what has always bewildered me is the little use we make of falling water to generate power. In Swizerland, almost every waterfall you see has a small turbine associated with it, imagine how much power could be generated just from the numerous long waterfalls on the Thames, and there must be many more similar opportunities on our other rivers.

Unfortunately, the Planning Authorities seem to discourage any such inovation. Near me there is an old derelect water mill on the River Avon,  and the owners recently submitted a Planning Application for it's restoration and the installation of a water turbine. The application was refused  on "ecological" grounds!! eventually the mill building, which is wooden, will collapse and fall into the river.

This is the answer, now all we have to do is build a few mountain ranges in England, like they have in Scotland. :P

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

Unless you come up with a suitable storage method that can suistain min of 7 weeks, renewables like wind and solar will always need another source.  Nuclear is really the only answer, and is prob the most cleanest of them all including renewables like solar.

Battery technology may be on the cusp of a revolution with graphene batteries.  This announcement will hopefully spur that development on further.

26 minutes ago, cuthound said:

This is the answer, now all we have to do is build a few mountain ranges in England, like they have in Scotland. :P

I assume that observation is intended to be ironic, we have plenty of hills and water flows downhill. Memory of my schoolboy physics suggest that the height of the source is irrelevant, it is the restriction of the flow channel which increases speed.

35 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I'll support that provided you promise that there will be no midges!

West to East about Watford level would be good.

Severn Trent Water have recently increased the size of the generating turbines in the dam at Clywedog Reservoir, and also at some of the dams in the Elan Valley, and I understand plans are in place to do others as well.  

There has also been a community based project in the Dulas Valley near Corris where a generating turbine has been built and I have heard of several other similar schemes proposed in the area.  (Well it does rain a bit in the hilly parts around here!)

BBC News

The Government has apparently realised that that there are lot of jobs at stake (refineries, tanker drivers, petrol station employees, mechanics and so on) these jobs will slowly disappear as the new cars become available - until the industry becomes unsustainable and they all close down.

Secondly, they have had a 'light bulb moment' realising that the hydrocarbon fuel industry pays multi-mega billions of pounds in tax, from 'production' thru' to individuals' paying duty and VAT at the forecourt.

They have now suggested that this loss of tax will have to be replaced by taxing electricity - long discussions & interviews regarding 'street charging', and 'home charging' with the possibility that there will be several tax bands for 'domestic use' and 'propulsion' usage (wonder where that idea came from)

The whole thing is going to be a badly thought out, badly implemented 'pigs ear'.

53 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Battery technology may be on the cusp of a revolution with graphene batteries.  This announcement will hopefully spur that development on further.

They are currently using Hydrogen for storage, but only for 30mins or so.  Whatever the future storage method is, having roughly 7 weeks worth (which is what they figured would be needed for totally on renewables) isn’t going to be easy.  The greenest energy producing country’s we have at the moment have a large percentage of Nuclear doing it.  The technology is robust and available now and is really the only solution if we want to reduce co2.

4 hours ago, Murflynn said:

1. the human population is far too high to be sustainable whatever form of fuel we use.

We already grow enough food to feed 11 billion people.  Unfortunately, much of it is wasted by converting it to bio fuel and animal feed.  The world population will peak at 11 billion due to declining family sizes.  This is happening all over the world as women are empowered to control their own bodies.  If you don't believe me, watch the excellent presentations from Gapminder by the famous statistician Hans Rosling.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, mross said:

We already grow enough food to feed 11 billion people.  Unfortunately, much of it is wasted by converting it to bio fuel and animal feed.  The world population will peak at 11 billion due to declining family sizes.  This is happening all over the world as women are empowered to control their own bodies.  If you don't believe me, watch the excellent presentations from Gapminder by the famous statistician Hans Rosling.

It’s not the food that’s the issue, it’s how much energy per person we will need to produce.

However I think we will have a population cull in the very near future due to our over use of antibiotics.

Edited by Robbo
Spelling
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, mross said:

but China has lifted the one child restriction

16 minutes ago, Robbo said:

It’s not the food that’s the issue, it’s how much energy per person we will need to produce.

However I think we will have a population cull in the very near future due to our over use of antibiotics.

Bang on there Robbo.  Factor in availability of clean water and the wider implications of climate change on land use, farming methods, political and social upheaval and it looks like a very rocky road ahead.  And of course the increasing likelihood of another global conflict (partially fuelled by the above issues)

15 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

And of course the increasing likelihood of another global conflict 

Highly UNlikely! Because all the top nations have the capability to throw nuclear bombs around, they almost certainly won't.

3 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

Bang on there Robbo.  Factor in availability of clean water and the wider implications of climate change on land use, farming methods, political and social upheaval and it looks like a very rocky road ahead.  And of course the increasing likelihood of another global conflict (partially fuelled by the above issues)

It has been said by those 'supposedly in the know' that the next world war will not be fought over religion, or land, or oil but will be over 'water'.

There is no more water on the planet than there was millions of years ago but now many millions more of us are demanding clean drinking water.

It is crazy that we use 'potable water' to wash our clothes and flush our toilets, there should be a dual-system with rain water 'catching' as a priority for secondary uses.

The time is close when we will need to have our own water purification (proper purification down to 0.1 micron, not the 'water filter jugs' that are in use today)

A 0.1 micron filter , removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as Salmonells, Cholera and E-Coli, it also removes 99.9999 of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium.

The one I have is 'good for' up to 100,000 gallons (almost 500,000 litres) and only weighs 2oz.

Add a carbon filter on the output side and it also gets rid of all Chlorine and heavy metals from the water and improve the 'taste' to better than 'tap water'.

The technology is there but we don't want to use it.

• Greenie 1

Global warming will cause evaporation of more sea water and this will come down as drinkable rain on countries like Great Britain .Other countries will lose population through drought so all these things need factoring in 

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It has been said by those 'supposedly in the know' that the next world war will not be fought over religion, or land, or oil but will be over 'water'.

There is no more water on the planet than there was millions of years ago but now many millions more of us are demanding clean drinking water.

It is crazy that we use 'potable water' to wash our clothes and flush our toilets, there should be a dual-system with rain water 'catching' as a priority for secondary uses.

The time is close when we will need to have our own water purification (proper purification down to 0.1 micron, not the 'water filter jugs' that are in use today)

A 0.1 micron filter , removes 99.99999% of all bacteria, such as Salmonells, Cholera and E-Coli, it also removes 99.9999 of all protozoa, such as giardia and cryptosporidium.

The one I have is 'good for' up to 100,000 gallons (almost 500,000 litres) and only weighs 2oz.

Add a carbon filter on the output side and it also gets rid of all Chlorine and heavy metals from the water and improve the 'taste' to better than 'tap water'.

The technology is there but we don't want to use it.

I agree Alan and composting toilets are another way forward :). On the war side I think it will be India and Pakistan over Kashmir as huge amounts of water pass through there for India, and Pakistan wants it! both have nuclear and more than likely would use it

2 minutes ago, b0atman said:

Global warming will cause evaporation of more sea water and this will come down as drinkable rain on countries like Great Britain .Other countries will lose population through drought so all these things need factoring in 

Are you suggesting that in the future we will not only have 'war' refugees and 'economic migrants' but will now have 'water migrants' to contend with as well ?

NB - rain water is not 'drinkable' to potable water standards without treatment.

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I agree Alan and composting toilets are another way forward :)

Domestically - where disposal facilities are readily available I agree.

For boat usage I am yet to be convinced.

7 hours ago, frangar said:

It's also a tad ironic that theve just scrapped the electrification of so many railways.....

Electric trains do seem rather obvious 'low hanging fruit' compared to cars and boats etc.

38 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Snip< There is no more water on the planet than there was millions of years ago but now many millions more of us are demanding clean drinking water.

It is crazy that we use 'potable water' to wash our clothes and flush our toilets, there should be a dual-system with rain water 'catching' as a priority for secondary uses. >Snip

Which is exactly what many homes in Victoria State (Australia) have. My son lives in Beechworth and has mains water for drinking, cooking etc. and collects water from the house roof in a huge tank for all other use. He is currently planning an extention to his property and will be installing a secod tank to collect the additional "free" water.

His father in law is a farmer and lives about ten miles out of town, where there is no mains water, he has a triple system. He has a series of  ponds running down the hillside behind the farm, which collect ground surface water for agricultural use, he collects water off various barn roofs into tanks, for non drinking domestic use, and has borehole pump for drinking water. He has access to so much "free" water that his farm is the rostering point for the fire and emergency services when there are bush fires. As far as I know, in his 70 years on the farm, they have never run out of water.

Edited by David Schweizer