Engine 'ole before and after.

Chop!

Featured Posts

5977a5e722189_Freyjagoesbackinwater26-09-12(6).jpg.2fddeed25efed1ad486189dd5ea8e261.jpg

Our bilge looked like this when we first picked Freyja up from Aquaduct marina.5977a83447ba5_cameringo_20170725_1345281.jpg.27bc04d12b2813fb48e99949f0887845.jpg

5977aa25056d4_cameringo_20170725_1346471.jpg.23420046b3d95dcdcadc1099d968ffb7.jpg

Looking towards the stern, SWSBO wouldn't let me have an engine room, so I made an effort on the engine 'ole!

Edited by Chop!
double up one picture.
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

Beautiful, a lot of hard work there but well worth it.  And nice to see a proper boat engine for a change.

Yes a lovely little Bukh I'd guess. Very nice work. 

I hope you figured out and fixed why the 'before' state of the engine bay was as it was, or it revert soon enough!

Oh hang on, it says SABB under the starter handle !

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I hope you figured out and fixed why the 'before' state of the engine bay was as it was, or it revert soon enough.

The reason it got so bad was that it was manky before we bought it, the brokers, Aquaduct marina, dropped it back into the water a week earlier than we'd planned and didn't grease the badly worn stern gland. The water, oil and diesel soup was up over the starter motor.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Sabb? What is it?

Sabb is a Norwegian fishing boat engine, the 30hp 2J twin pot was modified for use in lifeboats.

Sabb means tough or robust in Norwegian.

Lovely job CHOP! I'm currently doing mine but at the moment it's condition is about half way between your before and after photos. 

Question: in the second photo is that a hatch in the bulkhead?

Often though about putting one in mine but didn't know if the were allowed or not. 

33 minutes ago, Chop! said:

Sabb is a Norwegian fishing boat engine, the 30hp 2J twin pot was modified for use in lifeboats.

Sorry, but yes I knew that. I was picking up on the 'Shirley' Airplane reference :)

34 minutes ago, Chop! said:

Sabb means tough or robust in Norwegian.

I didn't know that though, thanks. 

12 hours ago, reg said:

Lovely job CHOP! I'm currently doing mine but at the moment it's condition is about half way between your before and after photos. 

Question: in the second photo is that a hatch in the bulkhead?

Often though about putting one in mine but didn't know if the were allowed or not. 

Yes, that is a hatch in the bulkhead, I, initially, made a smaller hatch for the BMC so that I could access the alernator belts and change the rubber knuckle. For the bigger, shaped one for the Sabb, I made a weedhatch-style rubber seal around it, and anyway, it is above the height of the crankcases, so there would need to be an awful lot of water in the engine bilge before it reached hatch level.

The Sabb was slightly too long to fit so I had to make the boat fit the engine! How I went about it here :-

http://narrowboats-freyja-and-christina.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/making-boat-fit-engine.html

It passed BSC, no problems.

• Greenie 1