Just a warning burton on trent

mart166

Featured Posts

I do remember hearing a conversation between a customer and the landlord of a well known (but not canalside) pub, something like....

c:  "Can I see the menu please?"

L: "Its a pub, we don't have a menu, you can have a pasty or crisps"

c: (disgruntled) "oh well a pint and a half of lager then"

L: "Its a pub, we don't sell lager, you can have beer or cider"

...........Dave

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

I recall living in a village in Powys which had three pubs, one of which only sold beer, didn't even sell crisps. One day a stranger came in, ordered a pint and, as it was being pulled, asked for some salt 'n vinegar.

L (putting pint on bar): "It's a pub, we don't sell food."

S: "What sort of pub doesn't even sell crisps?"

L (pouring pint down sink): "This one. If you don't like it, drink somewhere else."

• Love 1

22 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

I recall living in a village in Powys which had three pubs, one of which only sold beer, didn't even sell crisps. One day a stranger came in, ordered a pint and, as it was being pulled, asked for some salt 'n vinegar.

L (putting pint on bar): "It's a pub, we don't sell food."

S: "What sort of pub doesn't even sell crisps?"

L (pouring pint down sink): "This one. If you don't like it, drink somewhere else."

Sounds like my old local, if you asked for food you were looked on as if you were something the cat dragged in, but when it hit it's low point just before being sold (now a hated gastropub), the landlord happily sold crisps to parents, the kids would pour them on the floor and jump up and down on them making a real mess, the parents and landlord never passed comment. The only good thing about the place was I met my now fiancee and one night stopping for an early drink found it completly empty, shouted up to the accomodation above no reply, so pulled myself a drink and left money on counter, 15 minutes later landlady turned up, was horrified I was in bar in a pub that was unocupied, she had gone out and forgot to lock the door, lucky i'm honest, could have had a field day otherwise lol.

9 minutes ago, Arthur Brown said:

Where I live in east London, the beer pubs are mostly closed, the food pubs are thriving.

I would say the same for up here in Cumbria.  In fact I would suggest round here a beer only pub wouldn't last long.

I was once in the "WoolPack" in Slad (http://thewoolpackslad.com/) famous for being in Laurie Lee's "Cider With Rosie" When an American customer turned up ordered a drink, he looked around the bar and asked a man sat down "Where can I find Laurie Lee's grave". The man looked up and said "Give me chance". The man was Laurie Lee.

:)

• Greenie 1

Thank god there is Holdens and Bathams in the Black Country.

Does anybody remember Simkiss. They had a brewery in Brierley Hill at one end of the road to the Delph, whilst Bathams was at the other. Simpkiss was a straw coloured beer, Bathams was dark

On 8/18/2017 at 10:47, dmr said:

I do remember hearing a conversation between a customer and the landlord of a well known (but not canalside) pub, something like....

c:  "Can I see the menu please?"

L: "Its a pub, we don't have a menu, you can have a pasty or crisps"

c: (disgruntled) "oh well a pint and a half of lager then"

L: "Its a pub, we don't sell lager, you can have beer or cider"

...........Dave

A bar in Leamington, some years ago.

Two young couples come in, they each order and pay for their individual drinks.

One has a Beck's "no glass, I'll drink it from the bottle", the next has an O2 "no glass....bottle". The third - the same.

The last guy wants a pint of lager - barman asks "want a glass or will you put your head under the tap?"

6 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

A true but very very sad state of affairs.

I agree, where we live have to walk quite a way to what we call our local, lucky it's split resturant on one side (which is great), then bar on the other, offers brilliant ales and Belgium beer, other than that we have nothing in so called trendy east london :(

2 hours ago, Heartland said:

Thank god there is Holdens and Bathams in the Black Country.

Amen to that!

Does anybody remember Simkiss. They had a brewery in Brierley Hill at one end of the road to the Delph, whilst Bathams was at the other. Simpkiss was a straw coloured beer, Bathams was dark

Bathams mild is a dark beer but their bitter is this colour:

IMG_0163.jpg

For an extra 10 points beer geeks may wish to guess the pub.

Simpkiss sold out to Greenall Whitley in 1985.

Edited by Victor Vectis

18 hours ago, Heartland said:

There were some pubs that served beer from the barrel rather than using what was originally called a beer engine. 

There are still quite a few - I've been in a couple recently, including the Cooper's in Burton and the new Lock Keepers at Sawley lock.

19 hours ago, frahkn said:

One has a Beck's "no glass, I'll drink it from the bottle", the next has an O2 "no glass....bottle". The third - the same.

My parents ran pubs for many years. If people knew the conditions that crates of bottles beers are often kept in, complete with muck, spiders and rodents, they'd never drink straight from the bottle again.

3 minutes ago, Proper Charlie said:

My parents ran pubs for many years. If people knew the conditions that crates of bottles beers are often kept in, complete with muck, spiders and rodents, they'd never drink straight from the bottle again.

A good mate of mine had a partner who worked in local authority public health. She told stories of guard dogs running over crates of bottles in pub yards, peeing and worse. I never drink straight from the bottle.

Thanks folks, from what seemed an assult on me, now we have serious discusion on beer, tells a lot about us boaters lol, keep the forum going, any information about good cider be appreciated (not the fizzy stuff)

Mart

Actually, some of the thread made for sad reading about my home town ..... sorry you had such a bad experience in Burton and I don't know what sauce the barman was on when he indicated Wetherspoons was the only place likely to serve food locally at that time, as that is just crazy.  Burton, like most towns, has its problems and anti-social elements, and a fair number of residents for whom English is not a first language - not a single town is immune, sadly.  There are many eateries within a few hundred yards of said Wetherspoons - Nandos, Bella Italia, Franies and Bennys, a very decent curry house, Thai restaurant and numerous others, all of which would have been open and busy that time.     Just sad that your impressins are so very negative and hpe it doesn't put everyone else off stopping in the town. 

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Sunflower16 said:

Actually, some of the thread made for sad reading about my home town ..... sorry you had such a bad experience in Burton and I don't know what sauce the barman was on when he indicated Wetherspoons was the only place likely to serve food locally at that time, as that is just crazy.  Burton, like most towns, has its problems and anti-social elements, and a fair number of residents for whom English is not a first language - not a single town is immune, sadly.  There are many eateries within a few hundred yards of said Wetherspoons - Nandos, Bella Italia, Franies and Bennys, a very decent curry house, Thai restaurant and numerous others, all of which would have been open and busy that time.     Just sad that your impressins are so very negative and hpe it doesn't put everyone else off stopping in the town. 

Just as we found. Nowt wrong with Burton.

On 22/08/2017 at 16:01, mart166 said:

Thanks folks, from what seemed an assult on me, now we have serious discusion on beer, tells a lot about us boaters lol, keep the forum going, any information about good cider be appreciated (not the fizzy stuff)

Useful for topping up the batteries but not much else?

(Currently moored in B-o-T, Shobnall Fields in fact, and I haven't been murdered.........................yet!)

6 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Useful for topping up the batteries but not much else?

(Currently moored in B-o-T, Shobnall Fields in fact, and I haven't been murdered.........................yet!)

And there are a lot more local eateries open for business than the Wetherspoons......if you are brave emough to risk encountering the so-called non-English speakers around the place!     LOL.