Just a warning burton on trent

mart166

Featured Posts

Just now, cuthound said:

What I want to know is why the OP,  Mart166 has signed himself as Mart164 in post #65?

I noticed that too. Perhaps taking part in this thread has diminished him. More likely it's a simple typo.

23 hours ago, Jerra said:

Personally I prefer to be in the country as far from habitation as possible.

It is a sad fact that most/any congregation of houses these days probably has at least one potential anti social being in it.

This is why we and many of our long term friends live on boats. We find the crime rate much lower and camaraderie far higher than living in one of those building things.

5 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Moored above the lock at Thurmaston last night. The only boat there.   About midnight the dog started to growl..........

Bloody swans had come to investigate the rogue Cygnet on their patch.

There's usually hundreds of geese, you were lucky.  

Nice mooring though. 

"...  the only answer we got was from a very nice lady, who I expect by accent was not from UK, polish I would imagine" 

Note the OP said a very nice lady, personally I don't find calling someone a very nice lady  in any way racist. 

I'm certainly not right wing and would like to think I'm not a racist however I have also had similar experiences over the years in a number of towns and city's with non English speaking people being unable to answer my questions. Note I said experiences and not problems its a fact of the world that people travel about. I'm happy to just give a smile and a thumbs up, usually reciprocated, and then move on. 

I appreciate, and support,  the fact that you are holding out against the right wing long may it continue but again I think making an observation and calling someone a "very nice lady" is not a racist remark. 

Happy to debate it further in the pub if you wish. 

And by the way I have a different experience with Burton I quite like it. 

Eta

Actually I missed a page of the thread before trying to make a reasoned reply so I missed what I consider to be Lulu Fish's nasty and offensive reply to Athy. 

I am fully aware that the Oxford English dictionary has an alternative definition for the term which is " a foolish person" however that is from the 1953 definition. Current and modern usage differs  greatly from that as I'm sure you aware. But congratulations on driving a new visitor away just what the site needs 

Edited by reg
Add further comments
  • Greenie 1

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

This is why we and many of our long term friends live on boats. We find the crime rate much lower and camaraderie far higher than living in one of those building things.

I think you are letting your prejudice against houses influence your view.  I have one of each, and have experienced antisocial behaviour by boat dwellers rather more than in the area near my house.  But I don't say that the crime rate is higher amongst boat dwellers - I know that it is a function of where my house is.

I don't think there is much difference - why should there be?   

Edited by Mac of Cygnet

As still a member at moment I'd just like to reply, yes my user name was a typo.

I'm not an inexperienced boater having brought a boat from Germany to Oxfordshire and have been boating on the Thames for the last 30 years. I know as a fact places to avoid, Reading a no no, Windsor you have to use anchor as mooring lines get cut, Pangbourne our boat was used as a bathing platform board by teenagers (nobody bothered other than telling me next day).

I merely was sharing my experience of what happened to us but was jumped on by obvious apologists.

Many thanks for the supporting comments they were appreciated.

I found life on the canal system very enjoyable, friendly helpful people, and I'm considering retiring and buying a boat, I just hope I do not meet some of the people on here !!!

Mart

• Greenie 3

8 minutes ago, mart166 said:

As still a member at moment I'd just like to reply, yes my user name was a typo.

I'm not an inexperienced boater having brought a boat from Germany to Oxfordshire and have been boating on the Thames for the last 30 years. I know as a fact places to avoid, Reading a no no, Windsor you have to use anchor as mooring lines get cut, Pangbourne our boat was used as a bathing platform board by teenagers (nobody bothered other than telling me next day).

I merely was sharing my experience of what happened to us but was jumped on by obvious apologists.

I found life on the canal system very enjoyable, friendly helpful people, and I'm considering retiring and buying a boat, I just hope I do not meet some of the people on here !!!

Mart

It is good to see you back. You would be pleasantly surprised, I think, to meet some of the people on here, who may bark when behind a keyboard but who do not bite in real life.

I hope you'll stay with us.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

It is good to see you back. You would be pleasantly surprised, I think, to meet some of the people on here, who may bark when behind a keyboard but who do not bite in real life.

I hope you'll stay with us.

Thanks for that

Unfortunately the world is full of idiots that are brave behind keyboards but not in real life, you see it on the news, but I was very offended about being called a racist, when my whole living relies on our ethnic friends, you should look into these people as they are obviously not nice people. As for everyone else great and I got a lot of help from here during my journey around the Leicester  ring.

Thanks

Mart

As with most things in life the majority are OK but occasionally you bump into the minority who are not, just a fact of life I'm afraid happens in all walks of life. Don't let one bad occasion spoil it for you. Glad your still here and just remember those that did step in to "correct" the situation, some times the tiller needs a sharp tug to get things back on the straight and narrow. 

Keep posting and welcome again

2 hours ago, mart166 said:

Mart

I don't know you so wouldn't presume to judge your attitudes on any matter.

However communication in writing is notoriously liable to misinterpretation, I think your phrase about the lack of English speakers was, at best, a clumsy one, as is "our ethnic friends" in post 87 above.

In passing I would add that I have moored in Reading (nothing happened) and in Windsor (my lines weren't cut).

Frank

• Greenie 3

41 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I don't know you so wouldn't presume to judge your attitudes on any matter.

However communication in writing is notoriously liable to misinterpretation, I think your phrase about the lack of English speakers was, at best, a clumsy one, as is "our ethnic friends" in post 87 above.

In passing I would add that I have moored in Reading (nothing happened) and in Windsor (my lines weren't cut).

Frank

The phrase about English speakers was just an observation of what was found on that evening, not a comment on the place as a whole. And "ethnic" is a fairly value free word to describe people - you have to use some word or other relating to race when defending yourself against a charge of racism.

Our lines weren't cut in Windsor either.

We've moored by Shobnall fields a couple of times with no trouble. It's a bit of a hike into the town centre from there though.

As for beer, forget the big, national brands/pubs but seek out the two (or is it three?) Burton Bridge Brewery pubs or the four (?) micro pubs in BoT. One of the micros is on the right, past the railway station, on the way into town.

And there is this place The Coopers Tavern an absolute gem, just down a side street off to the right on the way from the railway station into town.

I got into conversation with half a dozen retired brewers when I was there last year. They get together once a month, rotating their venue around selected pubs in Burton.

Edited by Victor Vectis

1 hour ago, frahkn said:

I think your phrase about the lack of English speakers was, at best, a clumsy one, as is "our ethnic friends" in post 87 above.

Surely you would not have preferred "our ethnic enemies"?

Perhaps, "our ethnic minority friends" might be more felicitous.

4 hours ago, mart166 said:

Mart

hi,

they gave me a hard time too, but do not worry, there are lots of great folks on here................... stick with it 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

Our lines weren't cut in Windsor either.

We've moored by Shobnall fields a couple of times with no trouble. It's a bit of a hike into the town centre from there though.

As for beer, forget the big, national brands/pubs but seek out the two (or is it three?) Burton Bridge Brewery pubs or the four (?) micro pubs in BoT. One of the micros is on the right, past the railway station, on the way into town.

And there is this place The Coopers Tavern an absolute gem, just down a side street off to the right on the way from the railway station into town.

I got into conversation with half a dozen retired brewers when I was there last year. They get together once a month, rotating their venue around selected pubs in Burton.

I speak with a great deal of experiance about the Thames, know a lot of boaters there, Windsor the worse side for problems is on the northern bank just by Eton school, Reading I have moored at Tescos with no problem but would not dream of overnight (I have house 5 miles away and know area well).

The Coopers Tavern we tried as well as another pub around the corner, they both looked good but unfortunatly the only food on offer was cheese and pork pies, needed more than that after 8 hours of boating, shame because I would have loved to go in them. It's difficult when you arrive in a new town and do not know where to go, we relied on trip advisor, and nicholsons canal book.

Mart

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

Surely you would not have preferred "our ethnic enemies"?

Perhaps, "our ethnic minority friends" might be more felicitous.

You are correct in that I would not have preferred "our ethnic enemies", well done.

IMHO "our ethnic minority friends" does not constitute a more felicitous form of words.

Perhaps I'm a little odd but I can refer to people without feeling the need to refer to their ethnic origins at all.

3 minutes ago, frahkn said:

You are correct in that I would not have preferred "our ethnic enemies", well done.

IMHO "our ethnic minority friends" does not constitute a more felicitous form of words.

Perhaps I'm a little odd but I can refer to people without feeling the need to refer to their ethnic origins at all.

Next time i'll act like Alf Garnet and say "bloody foriegners that don't speak our lingo" that'll set the forum on fire and I will not care as will not be here to read it.