Just a warning burton on trent

mart166

Featured Posts

30 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Post No 7 also appears to accuse the OP of lying. Why not hide that too?

Why would you ask for your own post (which no.7 is) to be hidden?

4 hours ago, lulu fish said:

even when it is obvious that someone is lying, we can't call them out on it?

You are such a Nig Nog, Athy.

Is that a question or a statement? It comes over as a hybrid.

Assuming it to be a question, and discounting the peculiar English of "call them out" (apologies if English is not your first language), then as you were not at the scene you are unable to ascertain whether the O.P. is telling the truth or not. To accuse him of lying is therefore unpleasant and not in the spirit of the forum. Please do not do it again.

I can't see any way in which my remarks, calling for decent polite demeanour on this forum, are silly. Your misspelling in your second sentence does reinforce the impression that English is not your first language, so excuse me if I have not made myself totally clear.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

Why would you ask for your own post (which no.7 is) to be hidden?

Not according to my screen, it isn't!

Here is a shot of my screen, clearly showing Post 7 by that nice Mr Fish accusing the OP of lying. Again.

Image1.jpg

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

12 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

The art of slipping a casual racist dog whistle into things is to drop it in as an aside to the main topic, in such a way as to tip a nod to others of the same views, while retaining the ability to backtrack or reinterpret later. Particularly one hopes that a challenge can be repositioned as bullying of one's innocent remarks, as those who understood the original message rush to one's noble defence with outrage. The successful dog-whistler can move on having confirmed their position as victim.

Reminds me a bit of Nigel Farage's train journey - he uses the technique a lot.

And don't forget the obligatory "I can't be homophobic/racist/sexist because I know a gay/black/female person" line.

JP

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You appear to be accusing my screen of lying!

Nay lad, a mere terminological inexactitude. I don't know why post 8 on your screen is post 7 on mine, but it is indeed so.

2 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

When you hide a post, does it not shuffle all the remainder up one?

George

This IS the correct explanation.

Every day is a skool day!

Gwarn, delete it, then we can see if they all shuffle up once again...

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

By George, I think you've got it! I can still see the hidden [post, ergo the numbers remain as they originally were.

Skool day indeed.

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hence it's better to use links :P

46 minutes ago, Tigerr said:

The art of slipping a casual racist dog whistle into things is to drop it in as an aside to the main topic, in such a way as to tip a nod to others of the same views, while retaining the ability to backtrack or reinterpret later. Particularly one hopes that a challenge can be repositioned as bullying of one's innocent remarks, as those who understood the original message rush to one's noble defence with outrage. The successful dog-whistler can move on having confirmed their position as victim.

Reminds me a bit of Nigel Farage's train journey - he uses the technique a lot.

If that's what someone believes, then fine, they should challenge it.

It is completely possible to challenge something without a personal attack, sneering and ultimately hounding a new poster from the forum.

• Greenie 1

To the moderators of this account, I placed observations, and i value the supporting comments of many of your members in this forum and throughout during my trip, but it seems some have very deep problems, therefore please delete my account, I do not need offense off people, lifes hard enough without idiots.

Mart164

23 minutes ago, mart166 said:

To the moderators of this account, I placed observations, and i value the supporting comments of many of your members in this forum and throughout during my trip, but it seems some have very deep problems, therefore please delete my account, I do not need offense off people, lifes hard enough without idiots.

Mart164

This is very unfortunate. Until recently the idiots here were being kept under tight control but now it seems they are being given the benefit of the doubt again, and sneering personal attacks allowed to stand.

This has resulted in a new poster being driven away, just as used to happen before. 

Is this rwally the way Dan really wants the forum run?

• Greenie 2

25 minutes ago, mart166 said:

Mart164

Now that's a shame. I concur with MtB.

FWIW, I've had a go at putting my own thoughts in order on the general topic of assessing risky moorings and offer them here:

Nowhere is completely safe, of course, odd things have happened in even the most secluded spots, but there are undoubtedly safer and less safe places to tie up. In addition, a place that is ok for a quick shopping stop may not be good for leaving your precious craft unattended for a week. It’s important not to get hung up on these issues or boating will cease to be a pleasure – in addition, attitudes to risk vary from person to person and those who are of a robust mentality should not decry those of us of a more nervous disposition, nor should we who show wise caution in our choices of overnight mooring deride those for whom being untied is all part of the challenge of boating.

Even in the riskiest locations, chances are that a night can be spent unmolested – there’s probably never more than a 5% chance of trouble in any but the dodgiest spots. In addition, these things go in bursts and the dangers of a location change from year to year, partly with shifting fashions amongst the local youth and partly as a result of campaigns to improve safety such as Canal Watch or just extra police or navigation authority attention.

Danger signs to watch for are (in no particular order)

• Graffiti
  • No other boats moored nearby
  • Moored boats but with protective covers over the windows
  • Litter, especially drinks cans or syringes
  • Local knowledge that the location is on a walking route to and from the town centre or local pubs and clubs
  • Large housing estates alongside the water or close by

Finally, perception is everything. A bad experience in a spot may be enough to persuade you to avoid it in future. There is nothing worse than fretfully lying in bed in the small hours listening for suspicious sounds outside.

(Ducks behind parapet)

• Greenie 3

We moored at the fields a couple of years ago.we stayed for quite a while as our two female dogs became less female at a local vets.

Not once did we have any trouble. Yes, I long walk into town. Uninteresting!! And a definate yes to the locals being mixed. Didn't bother us at all. One night I walked to find a pub. Eventually found one down a side street. Had an enjoyable pint or three. Got lost on the way back,but that's another story. 

I'd go back and stay in Burton. Sad that the OP didn't have a good time in there. Hey ho!

1 hour ago, mart166 said:

Mart164

Just ignore the idiots. In the end they go away - bit like  the stonethrowers. Be a shame to dump this whole site with all its useful stuff because a couple of people wanted to stir up some trouble. 

• Greenie 2

44 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

FWIW, I've had a go at putting my own thoughts in order on the general topic of assessing risky moorings and offer them here:

Nowhere is completely safe, of course, odd things have happened in even the most secluded spots, but there are undoubtedly safer and less safe places to tie up. In addition, a place that is ok for a quick shopping stop may not be good for leaving your precious craft unattended for a week. It’s important not to get hung up on these issues or boating will cease to be a pleasure – in addition, attitudes to risk vary from person to person and those who are of a robust mentality should not decry those of us of a more nervous disposition, nor should we who show wise caution in our choices of overnight mooring deride those for whom being untied is all part of the challenge of boating.

There is nothing worse than fretfully lying in bed in the small hours listening for suspicious sounds outside.

(Ducks behind parapet)

Moored above the lock at Thurmaston last night. The only boat there.   About midnight the dog started to growl..........

Bloody swans had come to investigate the rogue Cygnet on their patch.

42 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Even in the riskiest locations, chances are that a night can be spent unmolested – there’s probably never more than a 5% chance of trouble in any but the dodgiest spots. In addition, these things go in bursts and the dangers of a location change from year to year, partly with shifting fashions amongst the local youth and partly as a result of campaigns to improve safety such as Canal Watch or just extra police or navigation authority attention.

Danger signs to watch for are (in no particular order)

• Graffiti
  • No other boats moored nearby
  • Moored boats but with protective covers over the windows
  • Litter, especially drinks cans or syringes
  • Local knowledge that the location is on a walking route to and from the town centre or local pubs and clubs
  • Large housing estates alongside the water or close by

Finally, perception is everything. A bad experience in a spot may be enough to persuade you to avoid it in future. There is nothing worse than fretfully lying in bed in the small hours listening for suspicious sounds outside.

(Ducks behind parapet)

A sensible summing up with which I largely agree. Just two things:-

I think 5% is an excessive estimate, even in a "dodgy" area you will not be molested by one in twenty passers by.

It's hard to overestimate the extent to which the attitude displayed (consciously or otherwise) by a boater affects these situations. 

• Greenie 1

55 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is very unfortunate. Until recently the idiots here were being kept under tight control but now it seems they are being given the benefit of the doubt again, and sneering personal attacks allowed to stand.

This has resulted in a new poster being driven away, just as used to happen before. 

Is this rwally the way Dan really wants the forum run?

Perhaps when things like this happen those who were guilty in the thread should be given a warning by the mods.  Make the warnings cumulative and then give progressively severe bans until they either learn or are permanently banned.

I know this probably happens in a loose sort of way but perhaps if it were more formalised and regular it might make some of the less pleasant people who can't easily be socially acceptable think twice before they post.