Just a warning burton on trent

mart166

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

There is a chance that if I walk at a wall, all of the atoms in my body will align with all of the atoms in the wall in such a way that I will be able to walk straight through the wall.  

Go on give it a go!

12 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

There is a chance that if I walk at a wall, all of the atoms in my body will align with all of the atoms in the wall in such a way that I will be able to walk straight through the wall.  

Goodnight Sweetheart

• Greenie 1

Sorry the OP had a bad experience.

We had two or three nights at Burton, moored outside Shobnall marina. Lovely place and lovely people.

May I suggest if anyone is going to 'warn others off' from mooring in places where incidents occur, a lot of the system is going to be empty.

Rog

7 minutes ago, dogless said:

Sorry the OP had a bad experience.

We had two or three nights at Burton, moored outside Shobnall marina. Lovely place and lovely people.

May I suggest if anyone is going to 'warn others off' from mooring in places where incidents occur, a lot of the system is going to be empty.

Rog

Indeed. Outside the marina is fine, mooring on Shobnall Fields more of a gamble. Many people do and get away with it, but it's on the walking route from two housing estates to the town centre, so there's always a risk of problems at the weekend. In addition, the park is a trading area for the local pimps and pushers. Boats have been attacked there on several occasions to my knowledge, either with stones and lumps of concrete or, once, with a twelve foot iron bar.

With the choice of Alrewas, Barton Turns and Branston one way and Willington the other, we would never stop in Burton for a night out.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, dogless said:

Rog

Nearly everywhere is really bad, especially all the places I like to go. I think it's only the London area that's really ok. ;)

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, lulu fish said:

My evidence is that it isn't even slightly believable. Try asking him for some evidence that none of the locals he came across spoke English..   

Actually, he didn't say that. He said he didn't get an answer from four of them, and the fifth one directed him politely.  If you happen to wind up in what I shall carefully describe as an area which is not predominately native British, it is as likely that people you approach may not understand you either and so just shrug and wander off.  There is certainly no evidence of any kind of racial prejudice here - he kept on approaching people till he got one to help him.

There again, Staffordshire people may just not like Londoners... anyway, the people who threw stones at his boat were almost certainly native English as vandalism is a proud tradition of this great country, so that's all right.

• Greenie 2

To add to the evidence I know three people from Burton. They are called Adrian, Alan and Mark. A couple of them are even integrated in to society enough to have partners. Although one of them is Irish so is a foreigner. I also have a friend Ian lives nearby. He can't speak a word of his native tongue. He's Welsh. I wouldn't let him leave the country until he learns.

I dunno what the world is coming to.

JP

• Greenie 3

2 hours ago, mart166 said:

We returned early May from an excelent trip around the Leicester Ring, despite hail, snow and high winds, our only down point was Burton, 30 minute walk into town, no help from locals (none English speakers), unless we wanted Indian or fast food a perplexed barman told us we might be lucky to get a meal at Weatherspoons despite how late we were, 7.45 Saturday night !!!

We found the place, had an ok meal, then started treck home, the shopping precinct was full of guys in shop doorways urinating, we got back to boat, but at midnight was awoken by idiots throwing stones at boat, so up and chase but they fled, then we had joy of storm blowing in but cannot blame mother nature.

Avoid Burton by all costs for overnight, we decided after that to only stay in villages where you hope to be safer.

Mart

PS I forgot to add I loved this site for information when was away, but due to limited inernet and recently illness I did not join, thanks everyone

Perhaps you should read the post again.

Rog

19 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Actually, he didn't say that. He said he didn't get an answer from four of them, and the fifth one directed him politely. 

Not in the OP he didn't, he said "30 minute walk into town, no help from locals (none English speakers)"

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, mart166 said:

no help from locals (none English speakers),

A bit like Llangollen then. LOL

(and I would be able to understand them)

Cheers

David

Subvert the dominant paradigm

the current one being that anything said that might cause offence to the snowflake generation is unacceptable, right wing or plain wrong.

if you meet 5 people in a town that you are unable to communicate with it is a matter of fact and no more.

in my old job in Leicester I had to get interpreters in to ensure that my patients were able to have their rights maintained on a weekly basis. It is fact . There are a large number of people in the uk to whom English is a second third or fourth language.

meeting them and working for them does not make a racist either

The words used were "No help from locals (none English speakers)"

Where did you get 5 from?

According to the OP apparently the locals in Burton don't speak English.

All I met (even those for whom English was not their first language) were very welcoming and spoke English.

Rog

3 hours ago, lulu fish said:

Try to give your observations without making shit up.  Personally I will discount the rest of your observations as you chose to lie to make it sound worse and slip in your racist agenda.

People who do not speak English are not a race so it is not racist, get your facts right before you shout your mouth off.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, lulu fish said:

Not in the OP he didn't, he said "30 minute walk into town, no help from locals (none English speakers)"

Perhaps we need to fully understand English ourselves before deriding others, it is a very complex language with interesting nuances. The way in which I read the OP's post was that when he went into Burton looking for advice for food and drink, all of the locals (English speakers) were no use at all to him, the only one who assisted him was a nice Polish lady(post #6), how did you read it?:unsure:

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

28 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Perhaps we need to fully understand English ourselves before deriding others, it is a very complex language with interesting nuances. The way in which I read the OP's post was that when he went into Burton looking for advice for food and drink, all of the locals (English speakers) were no use at all to him, the only one who assisted him was a nice Polish lady(post #6), how did you read it?:unsure:

That is a subtle and cunning (but IMHO opinion correct) reading of the OP. I don't however think that it was the meaning which was meant to be conveyed. I interpret the original phrasing as a casual racist remark (although I may, of course, be wrong).

I cannot imagine stopping in Burton for the food but have often stopped for a night without any incident. Lidl is a useful source of basic supplies.

In the interest of openness, I should say that I am a foreigner so perhaps I just blend in more and so, don't fully understand the OP's issues.

Edited by frahkn

6 hours ago, lulu fish said:

And then he went on "a perplexed barman told us we might be lucky to get a meal at Weatherspoons" -- which suggests that no-one spoke English might have been an exaggeration.

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Post no. 5 has been hidden as it appears to accuse another member of lying, which is not something we should be doing, please.

Post No 7 also appears to accuse the OP of lying. Why not hide that too?

"Personally I will discount the rest of your observations as you chose to lie"

The art of slipping a casual racist dog whistle into things is to drop it in as an aside to the main topic, in such a way as to tip a nod to others of the same views, while retaining the ability to backtrack or reinterpret later. Particularly one hopes that a challenge can be repositioned as bullying of one's innocent remarks, as those who understood the original message rush to one's noble defence with outrage. The successful dog-whistler can move on having confirmed their position as victim.

Reminds me a bit of Nigel Farage's train journey - he uses the technique a lot.

• Greenie 3