Just a warning burton on trent

mart166

Featured Posts

We returned early May from an excelent trip around the Leicester Ring, despite hail, snow and high winds, our only down point was Burton, 30 minute walk into town, no help from locals (none English speakers), unless we wanted Indian or fast food a perplexed barman told us we might be lucky to get a meal at Weatherspoons despite how late we were, 7.45 Saturday night !!!

We found the place, had an ok meal, then started treck home, the shopping precinct was full of guys in shop doorways urinating, we got back to boat, but at midnight was awoken by idiots throwing stones at boat, so up and chase but they fled, then we had joy of storm blowing in but cannot blame mother nature.

Avoid Burton by all costs for overnight, we decided after that to only stay in villages where you hope to be safer.

Mart

PS I forgot to add I loved this site for information when was away, but due to limited inernet and recently illness I did not join, thanks everyone

2 minutes ago, mart166 said:

Avoid Burton by all costs for overnight, we decided after that to only stay in villages where you hope to be safer.

Mart

Personally I prefer to be in the country as far from habitation as possible.

It is a sad fact that most/any congregation of houses these days probably has at least one potential anti social being in it.

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Personally I prefer to be in the country as far from habitation as possible.

It is a sad fact that most/any congregation of houses these days probably has at least one potential anti social being in it.

Very true, I do not disagree, trouble is when you on holiday you want places with nice pubs and Burton I knew had reputation for good brewing and was hoping to get some good cider, could not have been more wrong, but you live and learn !

Thanks for replying and happy boating.

Mart

14 hours ago, lulu fish said:

Because of the five people we asked how to get to town centre the only awnser we got was from a very nice lady, who I expect by accent was not from UK, polish I would imagine, I am giving my observations of the place, and mine were bad

2 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

This part isn't actually true, you made that bit up.  Why was that?

Welcome to the forum Mart166!!!

This is what Mr Fish probably meant to say, but he's been having a bad day.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, mart166 said:

Because of the five people we asked how to get to town centre the only awnser we got was from a very nice lady, who I expect by accent was not from UK, polish I would imagine, I am giving my observations of the place, and mine were bad

Try to give your observations without making shit up.  Personally I will discount the rest of your observations as you chose to lie to make it sound worse and slip in your racist agenda.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, lulu fish said:

Try to give your observations without making shit up.  Personally I will discount the rest of your observations as you chose to lie to make it sound worse and slip in your racist agenda.

Your evidence that the poster is making things up is what exactly?

What a lovely way to welcome a new member to the forum.

• Greenie 2

Just now, lulu fish said:

As someone whose customer base is 90% ethnic I find your comments very offensive, if you do not like what I write do not read or reply

• Greenie 3

So why did you make up a story about none of the locals talking English?

I have already asked for your evidence they are making anything up.  Care to have a go at proving he is making anything up?

I went to Benidorm everyone was speaking English oops am I being Racist or do some think everything is .No wonder world is in a mess with all these bogeymen under the bed.

If an area has a large foreign population then statistically it is the same as asking for directions from people to be told so many times sorry im a visitor too.

Edited by b0atman

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

I have already asked for your evidence they are making anything up.  Care to have a go at proving he is making anything up?

My evidence is that it isn't even slightly believable. Try asking him for some evidence that none of the locals he came across spoke English..   

2 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

My evidence is that it isn't even slightly believable. Try asking him for some evidence that none of the locals he came across spoke English..   

It's a fair question, but I doubt if he will be back after the belligerent way that you have asked it.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, lulu fish said:

And breathe......

He was probably exaggerating for effect. The general thrust of his post was easily understood by the rest of us, I suspect. 

Just now, lulu fish said:

Why isn't it slightly believable.  Almost every town/city these days has quite a community who are poor/don't speak English.  Even up here in very rural cumbria you stand a fair chance of coming across a number of consecutive people who don't speak the language well enough to want to converse with a stranger.  It will be even more likely in a place the size of Burton.  In fact if my memory serves last time we were through Burton there were quite a few people along the towpath speaking in languages other than English.  I also seem to remember no fishing notices in Eastern European a sure sign everybody is fluent in English!

I calculate the probability of approaching five consecutive people in Burton on a Saturday evening and finding none of them to speak English to be approximately zero.

Maybe he should have asked one of the lads peeing in the doorways.  They were pretty much guaranteed to be British. 

I calculate the probability of approaching five consecutive people in Burton on a Saturday evening and finding none of them to speak English to be approximately zero.

Approximately zero = more than zero.

Therefore you agree there is a chance of this happening. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Approximately zero = more than zero.

Therefore you agree there is a chance of this happening. 

There is a chance that if I walk at a wall, all of the atoms in my body will align with all of the atoms in the wall in such a way that I will be able to walk straight through the wall.  

• Greenie 1