What to do

tz55uk

Featured Posts

On 7/25/2017 at 20:17, Neil2 said:

I was about to say the same, maybe it's just been sat in the same position for a long time but I've never seen a boat out of the water looking quite like that.  

"Deep pitting" is a relative term depending on the thickness of the plate, a 3mm pit in a 10mm base is no big deal but in 6mm hull sides, maybe.   Presumably the OP has a proper detailed report in which case what exactly does it say?  

Not too dissimilar to our boat when purchased.

image.png.d37ae5f8e6d4b70828645dfc55a74d80.pngIMAG0014.jpg

The two photo's below were our boat when out of the water for the survey.

Obviously the survey proved "okay" as we bought the boat.

DSCF1909.jpg

DSCF1911.jpg

Edited by Ray T

Doesn't look to bad at all.

Is it the waterline you are worried about? Common for the waterline to pit as it is the area where water and air come together. 

If it is then it's no great shakes to sort that out, enough expertise on here to give you advice on that but I'm sure it doesn't warrant an overplate. 

Have you actually had it surveyed and had a surveyors report? 

Edited by reg

Iv had everything in side hand built by my friend and carpenter.I was told by the yard  that it'll need alot of work overplating in areas . And yes iv not even had a survey done.unfortunately iv just given up with it.iv chucked so much time and effort money etc at it. The trouble is I'm so not got the experience and knowledge.I'm hoping someone will take it on and make a lucky boat out of it

11 minutes ago, tz55uk said:

Iv had everything in side hand built by my friend and carpenter.I was told by the yard  that it'll need alot of work overplating in areas . And yes iv not even had a survey done.unfortunately iv just given up with it.iv chucked so much time and effort money etc at it. The trouble is I'm so not got the experience and knowledge.I'm hoping someone will take it on and make a lucky boat out of it

You really should get a second opinion because so far none of the photos you've showed of the hull tally up with the description of its condition which is one reason why it's probably best to get someone else to take a look at it up close. When talking money, don't trust anyone on the cut. For all you know, the yard in question may assume that if you've got the cash to completely refit the interior, then you must have the cash to get it replated, perhaps unnecessarily and to their financial gains. I'm not suggesting this is definitely the case here but it's how cowboys work I'm afraid, so worth bearing in mind.

Thank-you all so much for your interest and knowledge it means allot.I will get a survey done as soon as iv saved up again lol. I no there's a few deep pits in places and after I scraped all the bubbled spots it's just uneven .and again it's only 18 year old but wasn't looked after before I had it.to my knowledge ten years since it was last out water and blacked 

18 minutes ago, tz55uk said:

Thank-you all so much for your interest and knowledge it means allot.I will get a survey done as soon as iv saved up again lol. I no there's a few deep pits in places and after I scraped all the bubbled spots it's just uneven .and again it's only 18 year old but wasn't looked after before I had it.to my knowledge ten years since it was last out water and blacked 

Good idea, don't rush into getting shot.  If it's just a few deep pits in places than they can be filled with a buzz of weld, pennies!

Good luck with your sale and even more good luck with you TT ambitions. 

Could always ask Guy Martin if he wants to "renovate" another narrowboat, on second thoughts, bearing in mind his first attempt, maybe not. 

Seriously it is very easy to underestimate the amount of work a restoration takes. If I was younger, had the talent and didn't actually need a boat then I suspect I would go for the TT option. 

• 2 weeks later...