What to do

tz55uk

Featured Posts

Iv a 57 ft trad iv striped it in side and rebuilt and finally took it out water.and god have I a shock it needs replating .it's only 99 build I bought it last year as a project but now I think I'm out my comfort zone if I was to sell it would anybody touch it for 20K as that's just under what it owes me .or do I see it through its all money

Start by finding out how much money. Perhaps Boot Wharf near you could give you an estimate. If Tony Gallimore is still running it, he's a good steelworking man if memory serves.

Try Kedian Engineering, based at Rugby.

Overplating from £170 per foot.

I don't think you will cover your losses if you sell the boat as it is,  unless you can sell it to someone who doesn't want a survey done.  Assuming you can afford it,  better to sort it properly and then enjoy the boat.

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.

Look forward not back is my advice, you are where you are and you can't do anything about that, you have a nicely fitted out boat that needs replating, I would have thought the answer is replate it if you can afford it but that is a personal opinion!

1 hour ago, tz55uk said:

Iv a 57 ft trad iv striped it in side and rebuilt and finally took it out water.and god have I a shock it needs replating .it's only 99 build I bought it last year as a project but now I think I'm out my comfort zone if I was to sell it would anybody touch it for 20K as that's just under what it owes me .or do I see it through its all money

What makes you think it needs overplating ?

How much of it needs overplating ?

What needs overplating (sides & / or bottom) ?

Full overplate around £10,000 - maybe can be done for £5000 its almost impossible to say without knowing how much work is involved.

1 hour ago, tz55uk said:

Sadly i'd say a rusty stripped out shell is worth nothing like £20k. You can probably buy a brand new sailaway for not a great deal more.

12 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Iv a 57 ft trad iv striped it in side and rebuilt...

Ah ok thanks. Missed that.

In that case £20k seems about right, subject to it not being toooo much of a colander. 

Anyway I'm off bellringing now, where even counting up to six can be surprisingly challenging whilst swinging a ton of bronze around!

Edit: missing words.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Anyway I'm off bellringing now, where even counting up to six can be surprisingly challenging whilst swinging a ton of bronze around!

Edit: missing words.

I misread the paragraph above, initially I thought it said " even counting up to six can surprisingly challenging whilst swinging a ton of booze about". :D

Hi all thank-you for reply's iv refitted inside new kitchen and sinks new fire surround and squiral log burner reboarded and tong and grooved hand built bed with under storage etc etc.it's deep pitting in areas I think it's down to the surveyor really I'm hoping it's just 3K lol. But time will tell. 

IMAG0015.jpg

IMAG0014.jpg

When you say, "it's deep pitting in areas, it's all down to the surveyor", what did the surveyor actually do, and what does he actually say?

My surveyor created a grid on the bottom of the boat, taking about 4 readings across its beam, at 1ft intervals long it's length.

Is yours deep pitted in lots of locations everywhere on the bottom? How deep are these deep pits, and how thick is the plate where it isn't pitted?

11 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

To be honest, it looks to me like it has already been overplated.  Must be the tidemark!

George

I was about to say the same, maybe it's just been sat in the same position for a long time but I've never seen a boat out of the water looking quite like that.  

"Deep pitting" is a relative term depending on the thickness of the plate, a 3mm pit in a 10mm base is no big deal but in 6mm hull sides, maybe.   Presumably the OP has a proper detailed report in which case what exactly does it say?  

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think this is the response to my question in post #6

Without any punctuation it is difficult to say.

Punctuation can be fixed fairly quickly: perforation may take a little longer!

To be honest the boat hadn't moved for many years with previous owners and anodes totally gone.I was hoping it'll just take alittle spot welding but I'm no expert and totally out my deapth with this.the pits are deep but maybe around 15 and the sides uneven . Sorry for not much knowledge I need a independent survey.but again thank-you so much for reply's and help

The survey hasn't been done yet and the place where it is has looked at it saying it'll need that amount  spending hence my alarm bells.just very worried I might pay for something that doesn't need that much work. Again thank-you for responding

20 minutes ago, tz55uk said:

To be honest the boat hadn't moved for many years with previous owners and anodes totally gone.I was hoping it'll just take alittle spot welding but I'm no expert and totally out my deapth with this.the pits are deep but maybe around 15 and the sides uneven . Sorry for not much knowledge I need a independent survey.but again thank-you so much for reply's and help

Is that 15mm deep pits (very deep!), 1.5mm deep pits (no real problem on a 6mm plate), or 15no. pits (which number could be filled by welding)?

George

The photos really don't look that bad at all. Do you have any photos of the suspect area? Have you sourced a second opinion? I know it can be daunting but I'd recommend getting a second opinion otherwise you could be selling someone a bargain at your expense. When it comes to money, I don't trust anyone on the cut and if I hear something I don't like the sound of, I will always get a second opinion.