Wildlife on the cut

Featured Posts

We have been cruising for some years, initially using hire boats but for the past 2 years we have had our owned boat.

We have doen the Leeds/Liverpool, Cheshire ring, Llangollen, Trent/Mersey and others and are currently in London having come down the Grand Union.

We are constantly amazed at the diversity and abundance of wildlife we see as we cruise along. It lifts my heart to see a Kingfisher dart across our bows and see an Otter disapear into the undergrowth at the water's edge. On the GU we saw white Egrets and then some Terrapins the size of a small dinner plate.

One thing we are struck by though is the dramatic reduction in the wildfowl population (swans, geese and ducks). It is not a trick of memory because we actually have photos of the canal at Stanley Ferry where the canal is dotted with lots of white swans all the way into the distance. We saw six last year at the same time of year and from same place (marina). We also see a lot of swans without a mate and we never noticed this before (they pair for life I am told). Apparently this loss of waterfowl is also apparent in the city parks too. I know we had the bird flu fright earlier this year but I thought the precautions taken managed to avoid an outbreak in the UK and anyway the depletion started before that scare.

It does seem strange that such a dramatic change has not been officially noticed and if it has why do we not know what has caused it and how it is being addressed. I asked an RSPB warden if there was an explanation but he said nothing and just looked straight at me, threw his eyes up to the sky walked away.

Anyone any ideas?

Ade

Certainly no shortage of ducks on the Coventry Canal.

We often have 10-20 sitting in the garden when we get up. Bluddy nuisance they are crapping over my lawn and moorings.

Our rescue GSD hates them with a vengeance,  and keeps them off his property during the day, but as soon as he goes to bed they come straight into the garden again.

Most of the others are in Cropredy, scorning boaters who try to be goody-goodies and feed them bits of lettuce.

The S.W. French canals really are almost bereft of water birds. A look at the menus of the area's restaurants helped us understand this.

1 hour ago, Big Ade said:

We have been cruising for some years, initially using hire boats but for the past 2 years we have had our owned boat.

We have doen the Leeds/Liverpool, Cheshire ring, Llangollen, Trent/Mersey and others and are currently in London having come down the Grand Union.

We are constantly amazed at the diversity and abundance of wildlife we see as we cruise along. It lifts my heart to see a Kingfisher dart across our bows and see an Otter disapear into the undergrowth at the water's edge. On the GU we saw white Egrets and then some Terrapins the size of a small dinner plate.

One thing we are struck by though is the dramatic reduction in the wildfowl population (swans, geese and ducks). It is not a trick of memory because we actually have photos of the canal at Stanley Ferry where the canal is dotted with lots of white swans all the way into the distance. We saw six last year at the same time of year and from same place (marina). We also see a lot of swans without a mate and we never noticed this before (they pair for life I am told). Apparently this loss of waterfowl is also apparent in the city parks too. I know we had the bird flu fright earlier this year but I thought the precautions taken managed to avoid an outbreak in the UK and anyway the depletion started before that scare.

It does seem strange that such a dramatic change has not been officially noticed and if it has why do we not know what has caused it and how it is being addressed. I asked an RSPB warden if there was an explanation but he said nothing and just looked straight at me, threw his eyes up to the sky walked away.

Anyone any ideas?

Ade

You don't say what time of year you are talking about.   The swan population changes dramatically throughout the year.  There are about 6000 (ish) breeding pairs rising to 74,000 individuals once migration gets under way.

The various British Trust for Ornithology surveys have shown an overall increase in population of 5% over the 40 years leading up to the 2007 - 2011 Atlas Survey.

2 hours ago, Big Ade said:

Anyone any ideas?

Ade

There has certainly been a large reduction in the number of mallards in the Nantwich area.  Where I moor a mile or so from Nantwich there used to be several pairs, this year only one.

There has been a significant increase in the number of eastern Europeans in the Crewe area and others, which might be related to the response of your RSPB guy.  They have certainly been taking a lot of fish; easy to spot them as they are usually in pairs, out early morning, carrying a spinning rod a backpack or bag and maybe a landing net.  They have also damaged boats casting into marina entrances after the large carp that tend to congregate there - very aggressive if challenged.

2 hours ago, Big Ade said:

Anyone any ideas?

Ade

There are three swans sitting outside my boat window two feet from the boat as I type, two white ones and a black one. Fab innitt.

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I think Mr Mink has a lot to do with the reduction of wildlife in some areas. Very sad.

haggis

A spectacular own goal for the militant wing of the animal rights advocates, IIRC. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

A spectacular own goal for the militant wing of the animal rights advocates, IIRC. 

I have a novel solution: people who catch fish from the canal should be encouraged to catch mink too. I don't think they're edible, but perhaps their fur might be of use in making simple garments for people on low incomes who can't afford to shop at Primark.

Yes I agree with dor .i have come across this twice we use to have horses while out hacking one day I use to all ways stop and admire the swans and there 6signets then 5/4/3/2/1 ,,so I asked the park ranger where have all the baby signits gone .eastern europeans have taken them ..same again on the river 7 they catch the barbel and take them away also ,the river bayliff showed my fella where they had killed and gutted the barbel .the authoritys now this goes on day in day out and do nothing about this .its there way of life .yes it may be in what ever country they come from .but it's not done here sorry ...in no way is this racist in what I am saying its just fact I'm afraid 

1 hour ago, haza said:

Yes I agree with dor .i have come across this twice we use to have horses while out hacking one day I use to all ways stop and admire the swans and there 6signets then 5/4/3/2/1 ,,so I asked the park ranger where have all the baby signits gone .eastern europeans have taken them ..same again on the river 7 they catch the barbel and take them away also ,the river bayliff showed my fella where they had killed and gutted the barbel .the authoritys now this goes on day in day out and do nothing about this .its there way of life .yes it may be in what ever country they come from .but it's not done here sorry ...in no way is this racist in what I am saying its just fact I'm afraid 

And in one of Jammy Oliver's cookbooks there is a recipe which starts:  "Take two mallards".

6 hours ago, dor said:

And in one of Jammy Oliver's cookbooks there is a recipe which starts:  "Take two mallards".

Nothing wrong with that you can buy them in our local food hall.  They can be shot in season (England 1st Sept - 31st Jan) it is the poaching out of season which is the problem.

9 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Used to see loads of Haggis on the banks of Loch Ness 10 years ago. Last year saw none. Are the Eastern Europeans eating them?

even the eastern Europeans have their limits