Favourite Smartphone Apps 2017

rusty69

Featured Posts

for Android

DarkSky weather forecast with rain radar

Whatpub.com, not an App, but a great website - free

Flightradar24, track aircraft

Scores on the doors, food hygiene ratings

Three in touch, phone calls and texts over wi-fi when phone signal is weak as it is in my house

Zello - push to talk - works just like a radio transceiver

MySMS texts to and from laptop synced with phone

Edited by mross

3 hours ago, Robbo said:

XCWeather (website

I like XC weather, been using it for years (the App isn't as good as the website) 

2 hours ago, mross said:

Zello - push to talk - works just like a radio transceiver

Looks interesting, does it work over wifi, or is it something else? 

Free Point UK 

UK ariel alignment

Locus Map Pro (my favorite app. very comprehensive map app bulky but can be used offline) 

Maps.me (another good map app usable offline Free) 

Hill climb 2

Edited by reg
These are for Android

"Find Friends" for iPhones is one I rate. The name is somewhat misleading as it implies that it will help you find new friends, it does not... It's basically a bit like the forum's member map feature only that it updates in almost real time in that it shows your location on a map to people you want to share that info with.

Both my father and I have our own boats and it allows us to keep track of each other on the canal network. 

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Sounds a bit like OsMand. 

Osmand looks pretty decent but Locus Maps Pro is more comprehensive, so much so that it takes a while to get to grips with its functionality. Pro also allows the purchase of OS 50, 000 and 25, 000 range maps. 

You are allowed a number of free downloads of the The basic maps, off hand I think it's 3 maps. I selected all of England Scotland and Wales which suits my needs. 

Some very good cycling features also. 

Documentation and help is a bit difficult to find sometimes so I tend to Google my query with a "locus maps pro..." prefix

Another very nice feature is the cycling Dashboard add on which is shown here 

http://www.locusmap.eu/a-bike-computer-a-supergadget-handheld-gps-or-locus-map-dashboard/

Edited by reg
Add dashboard link

14 minutes ago, reg said:

Osmand looks pretty decent but Locus Maps Pro is more comprehensive, so much so that it takes a while to get to grips with its functionality. Pro also allows the purchase of OS 50, 000 and 25, 000 range maps. 

You are allowed a number of free downloads of the The basic maps, off hand I think it's 3 maps. I selected all of England Scotland and Wales which suits my needs. 

Some very good cycling features also. 

Documentation and help is a bit difficult to find sometimes so I tend to Google my query with a "locus maps pro..." prefix

Another very nice feature is the cycling Dashboard add on which is shown here 

http://www.locusmap.eu/a-bike-computer-a-supergadget-handheld-gps-or-locus-map-dashboard/

I will give it a try thanks.

OsMand hs a fairly steep learning curve too. It will allow offline map downloads and turn by turn voice instructions for cycling. It also shows lock gates, but you have to zoom in quite away. 

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I will give it a try thanks.

OsMand hs a fairly steep learning curve too. It will allow offline map downloads and turn by turn voice instructions for cycling. It also shows lock gates, but you have to zoom in quite away. 

Bear in mind to get the full maps and functionality for offline usage it requires quite a large download. Also can be a bit of a palaver to get the  main map data onto a sdcard although it is worth it in the long run. 

Just to add a thought, which I hadn't researched yet  it may be possible to share the raw map data between the 2 applications. I am fairly sure this is possible with the vector and open source  maps but I suspect not the paid for OS maps

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 1

On 25/07/2017 at 19:09, rusty69 said:

Podcast Addict

Oh that reminds me of another...

Overcast - podcast player

1blocker - web content blocker (ie adblocker)

Documents by Readdle and savefrom.net website - I use to download from YouTube.

Edited by Robbo