R&D Fabrications

Featured Posts

Hi all, I'm trying to find out what people think of R&D boats. Looking at a boat built in 2002, the year Ray Denton sold up, or wound up, I believe.

See lots of references to them on the forums, but just detailing the various connections with Paul Widdowson, XR&D, Hancock and Lane (going back) etc, ...no views on their quality or otherwise whatsoever.

I'm kind of thinking that with all those connections they're likely to be a solid enough firm employing reasonably experienced builders, but it's all just guesswork on my part. Anyone able to share any thoughts?

5 hours ago, luggsy said:

I have a xr&d boat very pleased with it , Garry & lee who owns xr&d did there apprenticeship under r&d 

I too have had a shell built by them...excellent quality and really nice lads to deal with..I always recommend them

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Very well regarded boats, if a bit boring in style.

They also have the option of their innovative "slipper" stern, where the baseplate curves up to the counter. 

It is said to dramatically improve reversing at the expense of losing the storage space in the boat above the swims.

My mate has an old R&D widebeam (10' 6") which has stood the test of time well. 

I have seen a few XRD boats - varying from the very, very good aesthetic wise to the quite average/something missing**. Guess it depends upon what you ask for.

I think you have/had to be strong in what you want and the guys will make you what you want.

** Admitedly it does take a lot to impress me shapewise - I did shortlist an XRD to buy until I had a walk around the bow and crawled around inside.

Edited by mark99

7 hours ago, mark99 said:

** Admitedly it does take a lot to impress me shapewise - I did shortlist an XRD to buy until I had a walk around the bow and crawled around inside.

Please enlighten us

Hi All,

I have a 1986 narrow boat, with a R & D Fabrications Hull, that I have had for 7 years. This month I had it out of the water for an insurance hull survey and blacking. Interestingly the surveyor commented that some of the side  hull plates were originally 1/4 inch and some 6mm but thought that the hull was in generally very good condition with evidence of very good welding. He did not think that re-plating would be required for many years. The insurance company will not require another hull survey for 10 years.

I know things change but I hope R & D pass their high standards/quality down into the future.

9 hours ago, cuthound said:

They also have the option of their innovative "slipper" stern, where the baseplate curves up to the counter. 

It is said to dramatically improve reversing at the expense of losing the storage space in the boat above the swims.

My mate has an old R&D widebeam (10' 6") which has stood the test of time well. 

Wasn't rays idea he coppied it from Davidson Brothers of Sawley who developed it from their concrete boats.

19 minutes ago, alvicchas1 said:

Hi All,

I have a 1986 narrow boat, with a R & D Fabrications Hull, that I have had for 7 years. This month I had it out of the water for an insurance hull survey and blacking. Interestingly the surveyor commented that some of the side  hull plates were originally 1/4 inch and some 6mm but thought that the hull was in generally very good condition with evidence of very good welding. He did not think that re-plating would be required for many years. The insurance company will not require another hull survey for 10 years.

I know things change but I hope R & D pass their high standards/quality down into the future.

After 30 years how on earth could he identify such a slight difference? 

• Greenie 1

The share boat with which Trackman and I were involved with for many years is an R&D from around 1986. It is an excellent boat - the interior is a bit dated - but it handles very well. The gunwhales are quite high so there is a lot of interior space. It was surveyed 15years ago when we bought it and again last year only minimal work was required to the hull. Overall R&D produced good solid well thought out boats - not exciting but functional.

On 2017-7-25 at 10:57, mark99 said:

I have seen a few XRD boats - varying from the very, very good aesthetic wise to the quite average/something missing**. Guess it depends upon what you ask for.

I think you have/had to be strong in what you want and the guys will make you what you want.

Who did you go with and who else was on your shortlist?

I had my shell built by Paul widdowson who worked for r&d for years, he then set up on his own when ray emigrated and builds in the same way and his welding is first class and I like the lines and scroll details he uses that are a throw back to his r&d days.

Neil

3 hours ago, PMB said:

Who did you go with and who else was on your shortlist?

I was looking for a R. Fuller, Norton Canes, Dave Harris, RW Davies and one other who I can't quite remember (used to cease trading and re-emerge).  Had also visited and hired SM Hudson but did not really go for the exaggerated curves.

NB Linnet does show they (XRD) are capable off doing a very nice proportioned shell/hull.

Ended up with a R Fuller.

Edited by mark99
  • Greenie 1