Short trip on the Grand Union

P_Est

Featured Posts

Hello. This summer, we have rented a 4 night narrowboat hoilday from Wyvern (Leighton Buzzard). We are brand new to boating. There will be one adult and two kids (11 and 13). We will start on Monday afternoon and return Friday morning. I am hoping for some advice about routes. Realistically, how far might we get and how many hours per day should we plan to spend actually on the move? I will likely be the only person driving the boat while the kids operate the locks. 

We are trying to decide whether to head North or South from the Wyvren base. We'll be headed out in during the school holidays which I realize is prime season so the canal might be busy, but I think that we would prefer whichever is the quieter route. On the other hand, we are open to advice maybe half the fun is getting to meet other boaters/families? Right now, we are leaning towards heading south towards Berkhamsted since it seems like that might be the prettiest route. On the other hand, we could also go south towards Aylesbury. Is the southern route actually prettier and quieter? I am not sure why I have that impression. Are the locks in one direction easier to operate than the other?

Alternatively, we could head north to Gayton Junction so that we could experience tunnels and aqueducts as well as the canal museum. It seems like it might be the more "exciting" route. My kids seem to think that they just want to enjoy the scenery, read a lot, take photos, journal, play lots board games and do some walking. Neither seems that interested in sightseeing or visiting the canal museum, but I'm wondering if we will regret not doing the northern route, which seems like it might have more "things to do and see" along the way. Note, they are too old to be interested in playgrounds and that sort of thing, but I am slightly worried that they will drive each other crazy in that sibling way due to four days of close quarters. In any case, any advice about routes would be appreciated as well as any tips about narrowboating in general. Or I suppose we could toss a coin to decide. Thanks!

Hi,,

Worth having a 'punt' around on the search facility, someone faced the same problem a few weeks ago. 4 nights is not that long really, going North means few locks, and boating through some urban scenery (Milton Keynes - not all bad), travelling South you face and increasing number of locks and rural scenery as you climb up the Chilterns. Berko and Aylesbury could be Towns too far.......difficult choice. I prefer going North.......

I thought Stoke Bruerne (and Blisworth Tunnel if time permits) would be a good route. It will take you up to 24 hours cruising. Providing you take to the boat and the kids take to the locks it shouldn't be beyond you but it's worth having some contingency. Also note that while the paddles are easy on GU locks the gates are heavy. I think the advantage of going north is that if the crew struggle with locks you have the option of at least getting to the bottom of Stoke Bruerne without having to do too many locks for the amount of cruising. You could walk to the village from there. In all likelihood you will be able to share locks and that may be the key.

Let's plan on the basis that all goes fine. If you get away at a decent time from Leighton Buzzard you should at least reach Fenny Stratford on the first night. From there a full days cruising will get you to Stoke Bruerne. How far you get on the first day and how quick you are will determine whether that's below, within or above the flight of locks. If you get above then there should be time for a morning trip through the tunnel and on to Gayton (I would have thought you could turn at Blisworth but it seems there may be no official winding hole) and back to Stoke Bruerne to visit the canal museum. It's not impossible if you are still below the flight but you also have the option of winding just south of the tunnel and visiting the museum. On the Wednesday I think you should plan to finish the day below Stoke Bruerne locks as the ideal last night stop appears to be above the Soulbury three locks which again is a full days cruising. By full day I mean about 8 hours.

My personal experience of hiring is that if you set an objective and a plan and keep on moving steadily you will achieve it. If you weren't first timers and your crew were a little older I wouldn't have any reservations.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

canalplan.eu is good for route planning.

As first time hirers you probably shouldn't aim for anything too ambitious. And if you do find you make better time than you expected you can always overshoot the hire base on your way back and see a little of what lies in the other direction.

Route planning also depends on whether you want to reach a pub to eat out every evening, or whether you are happy to moor for the night in the middle of nowhere.

You only have the later part of Monday plus 3 full days. I would suggest you head south. A gentle climb through 11 wide locks to Marsworth Junction then down 16 narrow locks to Aylesbury. And on the return if you have time you can go through Leighton and as far as Soulbury or Stoke Hammond.

Aylesbury is 27 locks in 12 miles. Then turn round and do it all again. Being narrow locks the Aylesbury arm will be 16 locks down that two children of 11 and 13 will have to work on their own and then the same in reverse. OK it may be day apart but I think that's a risk for first timers with kids that will be on their own lockside.

Personally I would advise sticking to the double locks and wherever possible share. Even to the point of deliberately waiting (not necessary at Fenny Stratford!). Going north is 7 locks and 24 miles to Stoke Bruerne. Then another 7 locks up and down by choice. Seems a better bet to me.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

Thank you everyone for the responses. I like the idea of having a contingency plan and also the idea of a route in which there are more people to help with the locks if needed. The kids still insist that they have no interest in the museum, but I just showed my son a video of the tunnel, and he was intrigued. So if we made it that far, it could be exciting. If not, the museum will be at least a fallback place to visit. Can I just ask how urban that route north from Leighton Buzzard is? The Wyvern website made it sound as if we would see more nature and wildlife if we headed south instead. Thanks!

It's not terribly urban, especially once past Milton Keynes, but even that has a vast amount of green space, plus from Leighton Buzzard to Bletchley is mostly countryside.  As has been said, if you go north you can at least stop at the bottom of Stoke Bruerne and take a boat trip through the tunnel.  We have done this journey many times and I think it would be less stressful and more relaxed than going South which may feel like endless locks.

Edited by Psycloud
Added a few words

Mainly rural, and even when going through Milton Keynes the houses are generally at a distance from the canal,  so it is more like travelling through a park than a town.

Obviously some bits are urban,  but they don't last long.

At Leighton Buzzard there is a canalside Tesco, which is very handy for supplies.

The museum at Stoke Bourne is very small, mainly a collection of memorabilia, but interesting nevertheless.

I would certainly head north, if I were unsure whether my crew liked locking or not.

• 2 weeks later...