Navigational Notes on GU and T&M

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, new to this forum and thanking you all for all the information I have accrued so far. We are an experienced, 3 generation, active crew of 3 who travel over from Ireland to enjoy cruising holidays on hire boats every couple of years. 

During our trip, we are planning on travelling up from Braunston through Leicester onto the Trent and Mersey.  After reading through the Waterways Guide I am a little concerned regarding all the navigational notes and flood and weir warnings. We will be chugging June 2018 so are floods likely?

We are grateful for any help or advice you can offer with regards to our journey and any recommendations for beverages and moorings along the way.

Edited by EmeraldIsleLockLady

3 minutes ago, EmeraldIsleLockLady said:

Thank you both for your help and advice :)

They have forgotten to tell you that ten years ago this week in the middle of summer we had the worst flooding for years in the uk. I remember it being a foot deep all along the towpath at Lower Heyford on the Oxford canal for instance. Just sayin like :D

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

They have forgotten to tell you that ten years ago this week in the middle of summer we had the worst flooding for years in the uk. I remember it being a foot deep all along the towpath at Lower Heyford on the Oxford canal for instance. Just sayin like :D

Oh sweet baby Jesus!

Just out of curiosity,  what are the rules / how do you moor or chug when the canal floods like that? (Hopefully I'll never need to use your advice) :(

We had some serious rain every day of our trip last year on the Four Counties but thankfully apart from some serious weir issues trying to push our boat sideways at bottoms of locks we survived ok! 

5 minutes ago, EmeraldIsleLockLady said:

Oh sweet baby Jesus!

Just out of curiosity,  what are the rules / how do you moor or chug when the canal floods like that? (Hopefully I'll never need to use your advice) :(

We had some serious rain every day of our trip last year on the Four Counties but thankfully apart from some serious weir issues trying to push our boat sideways at bottoms of locks we survived ok! 

It doesn't happen often and that amount of flooding didn't happen overnight it was raining for ages. You will have a fab time :D

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It doesn't happen often and that amount of flooding didn't happen overnight it was raining for ages. You will have a fab time :D

I'm sure we will.  Rain hail or shine, we always have a fantastic time.  We live in the West of Ireland so naff weather all year round is what we're used to anyway! ;)

5 minutes ago, EmeraldIsleLockLady said:

I'm sure we will.  Rain hail or shine, we always have a fantastic time.  We live in the West of Ireland so naff weather all year round is what we're used to anyway! ;)

I blooomin luurrvvv the west coast :D county Claire Doolin, Lisdoonvarna, Ennis...............and loadsa other spots. festival in Doolin used to be awesome I aint been for several years. The burren etc etc...........

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

I thought that part of the Oxford Canal only flooded because it shares it's course with the River Churwell? 

We were on the Shroppie and Llangollen that summer of 2007 and although it rained heavily, the canals didn't overflow because of the weirs. Unless there is a river sharing it's course, or an adjacent river breaks its banks and flows into the canal, then canals never seem to flood.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

That's why I put the word "usually" in my reply!

2 hours ago, EmeraldIsleLockLady said:

Oh sweet baby Jesus!

On the Soar there are several Canal sections or safe places to moor, so basically you find somewhere safe, preferably off the main river and on a canal bit and tie up and wait. 

In 2012, the waterways were just starting to be restricted at the "start of the boating season"(quote from CRT)due to water shortages. Then in May it started to rain.

.and rain...

.and rain..

By July the Soar had been shut for weeks, the Nene was closed to navigation for most of the year.

It took me 3 months to get from Sileby to Loughborough ( October to New Year.)..and I spent a week IN a lock as everything else disappeared.

Yet in 2014 when major floods hit the NW, Southern Midlands and Thames, the Soar was navigable for most of the year.

I love the rivers :P

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I blooomin luurrvvv the west coast :D county Claire Doolin, Lisdoonvarna, Ennis...............and loadsa other spots. festival in Doolin used to be awesome I aint been for several years. The burren etc etc...........

County Clare is gorgeous alright, Cliffs of another and Lahinch are simply stunning.  We are in County Mayo, two counties up from Clare. We get the wrath of the Atlantic all year round.