Walk on Semi flexible solar panels

Featured Posts

The last time I raised this subject it sort of created waves however didn`t really get an answer in fact I commented that trial and error was the way to go. But to persevere forum advise needed. I`m going to fit solar panels enough to hopefully keep my bank of  4 x 130 amp leisure, 2 x 85 amp thruster and 110 amp starter battery topped up when the boat -which is for leisure only- is not in use. My leaning is towards semi-ridged however Bimble don`t list any you can walk on and in the past having frequently used the roof in locks etc I would prefer to be able to  walk on them if I found it necessary. Two questions  1)  any one experience of these https://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/catalog/full/243-130W-semi-flexible-solar-charging-kit-with-eyelets-and-fasteners-for-motorhome-caravan-camper-van-rv-boat-or-yacht.html 

2)Would the 130W kit be big enough if leaving say 95% charged batteries or is that no where near big enough. Only bilge pump would remain on during the summer months if we were not on board and cruising. Winter time all would be removed all bar a dedicated bilge battery if that makes sense.

In the peak of summer on a bright sunny day with the sun shining along the line of the roof, I would guess you would get something like 50AHr per day and 95% of your 800AHr battery bank is  40AHr so allowing for a bit of charge inefficiency it should be done after a good day.  Earlier and later in the season when the sun is a bit lower and days shorter will take maybe a couple of days or so.  If cloudy even longer and if in shade - say under a tree, then maybe not at all.

Moored in a clear site and for final topping up of your batteries I think you should be ok. 

So called walk on panels are intended for yachty use, that is whilst wearing soft soled deck shoes. I've not seen any that would cope with walking boots with bits of towpath grit caught in the treads.

We have 130w of rigid panel and it keeps our batteries topped up for much of the year while we're off the boat as well as letting us go up to four days in decent summer weather while living on board.

On this boat I have xunlight flexible panels 97 watts each x 9 for most of the year they cover all my needs and can be walked on.

For my American day van I have a 100watt semiflexible panel it was about £100 from ebay last year it keeps my leisure batteries on it charged up and like the very expensive one you have quoted can be walked on in soft shoes.

I would not spend any more than you have to on solar if you are just a leisure boater

12 hours ago, cuthound said:

If I recall correctly, Trackman of this parish has Panasonic flexible panels and is very pleased with them.

We and Trackman have these panels on our boats (we are friends)

http://www.bimblesolar.com/solar/individual/unisolar68w

We are both pleased with their performance when used with MPPT controller.

35 minutes ago, Boredrider said:

you need an MPPT controller.

That I understand thank you. I was basically looking for a semi-ridged/flexible panel that wouldn`t automatically get ruined if accidentally trodden on.

16 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

intended for yachty use, that is whilst wearing soft soled deck shoes.

I suppose having sort of retired from sailing we are use to using non slip deck shoes so that will help.

2 hours ago, Richard T said:

We and Trackman have these panels on our boats (we are friends)

http://www.bimblesolar.com/solar/individual/unisolar68w

We are both pleased with their performance when used with MPPT controller.

Is there likely to be a problem with corrosion using the stick down variety? Capillary action can be a nuisance.  

6 hours ago, jddevel said:

Is there likely to be a problem with corrosion using the stick down variety? Capillary action can be a nuisance.  

I know Braidbar supplement the stick down with tapped screws at the corners. The curve on a Tyler roof is greater than that on many GRP coach roofs and they had problems with the edges of the panel lifting, usually because the paint layers were coming off the steel.

I have 2 x 136w Unisolar. They are very tough and can be walked on if necessary although I would suggest it is best practice not to if it can be avoided. 

To quote from Midsummer Energy

"Once installed, special polymers in flexible panels allow them to be walked over in soft-soled shoes."

Unfortunately the Unisolar company went into liquidation a few years ago but I believe Midsummer Energy have some connection with the original supply manufacturer and so have been able to maintain  a supply chain. 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Unisolar-136W-Flexible-Self-adhesive-Laminate-Solar-PV-Panel-Narrowboat-Yachts-/282178038112

I was all set to go for flexible panels stuck down until this current 8 week trip. I look at each installation as I go by. My wife dislikes our installation ( single rigid panel) on aesthetic grounds, the boat being 80 .

i have seen many semi flexible and flexible showing signs of distress discolouration rippling, partial lifting and even cracking. I discussed stick down with one boater who said his had to be removed 18 month post installation due to corrosion under the panel, and rust breaking through.

i thought it was the best route but now intend a second matching panel which can be removed when needed, to be cleaned or at events.

finaly our first boat with solar in 2000 had super expensive 10 yr guarantee thin panel

121 months later no output....

5 hours ago, jddevel said:

Only one answer I`m afraid -free spirited grandchildren and some will say irresponsible grandfather. But I love them all. 

You will find that the construction of the Unisolar panels is vastly superior to that of the Semiflexible or "Flexible" panels typically advertised on eBay and elsewhere. Unisolar are more like a tough rubber mat and would probably take the occasional free spirited child in their stride however would suggest you don't hold any tap dancing classes on them. 

The other upside of the Unisolar are that if one of the cell modules is compromised by excessive wear, due to grit etc, then the module will be bypassed due to the inbuilt bypass diodes. 

The downside of the Unisolar are

Once the are fixed they are fixed. The adhesive is very strong. 

Require  a long thin clear

• Dimensions: 5486 x 394 x 4mm for 136w

area to affix them 

Give less output for a given area than regular panels 

Are more expensive per watt than regular panels. 

The benefits to me are that being single handed I can have clear roof which is handy when doing locks. I can easily step over them, they have a very low profile of 4mm, or indeed occasional step on them if need be. 

I do have 2 x 175w regular panels at the front of the boat to supplement the output. 

Works well for me

Edited by reg
Add dimensions

I fitted one of these earlier in the year for just the reasons given above. I haven't spent any appreciable time on the boat since without daily cruising but I am hoping that the panel might keep pace with the fridge. I used a Victron MPPT controller and their dongle which lets you monitor the output and voltage from a smartphone app. Quite a neat solution which allows for the controller to be fitted out of sight.

Before fitting the Unisolar panel to our roof - which has only a slight curve to it- i repainted the whole roof with about 6 coats of paint. It was sanded back to a sound layer of existing primer, all rust spots treated, minor blemishes filled and rubbed down, 2 coats primer, two undercoat and two topcoat. THis was then left to harden for a month. The roof was then lightly abraded in the area of the panel to give a key which was then stuck  down. There is no evidence of lifting or corrosion after 3years. Likewise on Trackmans boat where they have been down 6 or 7 years.

The above 2 posts remind me of a couple of extra things

1-Because the are high voltage low amp panels they are best suited to use with an Mppt controler. 

2- they are best stuck to a well prepared surface once stuck they will remain stuck. I see no sings of corrosion on mine I think this is because they are so firmly stuck down that there is no room for air or water to get under them. 

3- When sticking the 136w panels down remember they are 18ft long by 1ft 31/2" you need to ensure that the ends are exactly square relative to the boat edge because a slight misalignment at the start will mean a large deviation from the square after 18ft of travel, if that makes sense. 

Those voltages are trivial compared to the output of my medium sized rigid, which gets over 40V at full output. Good for keeping batteries topped up when boat is closed down, but not much good for living aboard.

2 hours ago, BruceinSanity said:

Those voltages are trivial compared to the output of my medium sized rigid, which gets over 40V at full output. Good for keeping batteries topped up when boat is closed down, but not much good for living aboard.

Thanks "Bruce" not a live aboard so battery top-up is what I`m sort of looking for. Solar is just another thing I`m trying to get my head around as quick as I can.