DIY cratch cover

wandering snail

Featured Posts

Do

1 hour ago, wandering snail said:

Thanks, will have a look.

Just a question, do you have the neccessary skills and equipment to make your own cover? Cratch covers are made from very heavy (expensive) materials which, to sew successfully, require an industrial sewing machine, it is also quite demanding work and if you use cheaper vynil material, any "mistakes" will result in a hole which will allow water to enter. You also have to allow for long term shrinkage or stretching, depending on the type of material used.

I made my own deck board and top plank etc, but elected to have the cover made proffessionally. Having watched the measuring up, and observing how complex it is to get all the panel sections correct, I feel that unless you do have some experience and the correct equipment, it may be worth seeking a copuple of quotes first, and compare that with the cost of all the materials.

For information, I used AJ Canopies of Braunston, who were excellent, and have a good follow up/ repair service.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

Do

Just a question, do you have the neccessary skills and equipment to make your own cover? Cratch covers are made from very heavy (expensive) materials which, to sew successfully, require an industrial sewing machine, it is also quite demanding work and if you use cheaper vynil material, any "mistakes" will result in a hole which will allow water to enter. You also have to allow for long term shrinkage or stretching, depending on the type of material used.

I made my own deck board and top plank etc, but elected to have the cover made proffessionally. Having watched the measuring up, and observing how complex it is to get all the panel sections correct, I feel that unless you do have some experience and the correct equipment, it may be worth seeking a copuple of quotes first, and compare that with the cost of all the materials.

For information, I used AJ Canopies of Braunston, who were excellent, and have a good follow up/ repair service.

AJ were one on our list to get a quote from so thanks for confirming their service. And all your valid points. Now wondering about a glass/wood frame type of cover as there Olly has got expertise.

49 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

AJ were one on our list to get a quote from so thanks for confirming their service. And all your valid points. Now wondering about a glass/wood frame type of cover as there Olly has got expertise.

I suspect it would be very vulnerable to damage. 

If you look closely at many canvas/vinyl  covers you will find evidence of repairs.

32 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I suspect it would be very vulnerable to damage. 

If you look closely at many canvas/vinyl  covers you will find evidence of repairs.

An non conventional cratch cover which by all accounts was damaged whilst travelling through Crick Tunnel.

The cratch cover is electronic BTW.

WHITEFIELD---00170.jpg

WHITEFIELD---00113.jpg

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

An non conventional cratch cover which by all accounts was damaged whilst travelling through Crick Tunnel.

The cratch cover is electronic BTW.

WHITEFIELD---00170.jpg

WHITEFIELD---00113.jpg

Not keen on that one. How about more along these lines? Praps a bit more shapely though. Back to the drawing board!

glass cratch.jpg

Edited by wandering snail

ive thought about doing this in the past but ive never managed to acquire a round tuit . I concluded that if i were to have a stab at it i would make a cover from cheap or old sheets first as a template or pattern . make mistakes on the cheap stuff and then maybe better material . Theres no rule that says the cover must be an expensive material so why not experiment now whilst the weathers ok ? 

Just thoughts ....

cheers

eta : both the examples above are awful - why have a greenhouse on the front of your boat ?? 

Edited by chubby

1 hour ago, chubby said:

ive thought about doing this in the past but ive never managed to acquire a round tuit . I concluded that if i were to have a stab at it i would make a cover from cheap or old sheets first as a template or pattern . make mistakes on the cheap stuff and then maybe better material . Theres no rule that says the cover must be an expensive material so why not experiment now whilst the weathers ok ? 

Just thoughts ....

cheers

eta : both the examples above are awful - why have a greenhouse on the front of your boat ?? 

Agree really, was trying to like the glazed idea. Olly had decided to make a template first, it's my sewing skills that may be more of a problem. 

Have a good look at the cover on a boat with a similar shape to yours around the cratch area. I think you'll find that there has been some clever cutting and shaping going on for the cover to transition between the very different profiles of the forward woodwork and the front of the cabin steelwork. Plus, you probably want nice opening roll-up, zip-up panels for ventilation and entry/exit and some clear plastic window panel within them to boot. Now it's all getting a bit tricky!  You seem to have made rather a nice job of the framing and it would be a shame to end up with a todge up. :)

8 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Have a good look at the cover on a boat with a similar shape to yours around the cratch area. I think you'll find that there has been some clever cutting and shaping going on for the cover to transition between the very different profiles of the forward woodwork and the front of the cabin steelwork. Plus, you probably want nice opening roll-up, zip-up panels for ventilation and entry/exit and some clear plastic window panel within them to boot. Now it's all getting a bit tricky!  You seem to have made rather a nice job of the framing and it would be a shame to end up with a todge up. :)

If we do it will be back to getting quotes. After making such a lovely interior in our sailaway, Olly wants to give this a go too. It surely can't be as hard as plumbing and electrics, just different!

6 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

If we do it will be back to getting quotes. After making such a lovely interior in our sailaway, Olly wants to give this a go too. It surely can't be as hard as plumbing and electrics, just different!

Fair enough - and if what we can see from your photo is an indication of the rest of his work then who am I to suggest his efforts would be a todge up?! :D

However, personally, I have no worries with plumbing or electrics (or even curtains!) but I would baulk at making a cratch cover.

However you tackle it, I hope it works out well.

3 hours ago, chubby said:

Just thoughts ....

cheers

1 hour ago, wandering snail said:

I used to work in  the contract fiurniture manufacturing business where we used a variety of both fabric and vynil coverings. Believe me thare is a tremendous difference between the wear resistance of cheap materials and expensive ones, especially when subjected to sunlight. A cheap material may last two or three seasons before disintegating and allowing the ingress of water, wheras an expensive heavy duty material should last something between ten and fifteen years.

As for comparing heavy duty sewing with plumbing and electrics, all three have their challenges, but to suggest that if you can do two of them the other will be equally easy, stretches the imagination somewhat. I can do cabinet work, plumbing and electrics, but sewing, forget it. By the way my father was in the leather and textiles sewing industry, so I have some understanding of the work involved.

I suppose that it all comes down to judgement & requirements . If you ve spent alot of effort getting the rest of your boat just how you want it then it might be worthwhile to get some professional quotes and perhaps say ( if affordable ) that you 'll let them put together the cover and be assured that its going to he long lasting & of quality materials . Sometimes its just wiser to know ones limitations and let experienced folk make up for that . Boils down to money i expect but if youve saved on other areas then why not ? You can probably do an " ok " job yourself & maybe even a " good " job yourself but " perfect " ? . 

Depends what standard you consider acceptable . 

We made our own frame and cover and, if I say so myself, it turned out very well indeed. I did the woodwork, in oak, and it wasn't especially challenging. My wife did the cover. We bought the materials from here

http://www.kayospruce.com/

They have everything you need.

The cover was difficult but with care and time it is possible to do a really fine job. If you want to know more pm.

14 hours ago, wandering snail said:

It surely can't be as hard as plumbing and electrics, just different!

My father was a bespoke sample tailor for many years making some very high quality suits. The one thing he taught me was material has what he called a "bias" and it certainly to me watching him appeared a very highly skilled craft to get material to follow a particular shape and stay there. He once made me a hood and tonneau for an old MG. Really classy. I`m familiar with plumbing and electrics and cabinet making but I personally would get too frustrated with my quality of finish with hood making. But I wish you  Good Luck