Buffalo Board

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Are any of you aware of a supplier who routinely supplies small quantities of Buffalo Board?  

I may have a requirement coming up for three pieces which will only total around 500x500mm for all three of them. As this is (currently) just a one-off requirement I certainly don't want to buy a sheet at this stage. 

Cheers, Tony

3 hours ago, sans allumette said:

Have you considered eBay?

No I hadn't even thought of looking at Ebay, don't know why as it's my usual first port of call. Thanks :)

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

If there is a van lining out company near you,  you could ask if they have any off cuts available, as they often use buffalo board for the floor and ply for the walls. 

I'll ask around or look in the local paper/Google. Good tip, thanks :)

11 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Similarly, boatyards often have off cuts in the workshop.

No yards very close to me but I guess I could go for a little drive. Thanks :)

internet : I bought a couple of buffalo board sheets 2 years ago. I was shocked to discover that fake plywood is a 'thing'. The boards were complete trash - bubbled, soggy, with a sprayed on coating that came off when looked at. Of course there was no comeback and the junk is OK for use inside the shed.  Buy from a reputable supplier. You can get offcuts from any yard that supplies, if you are lucky. If not buy a whole board and have it cut, you will find a use for the spare on the boat. 

I got my big sheet from 

http://www.advancedtechnicalpanels.co.uk/products/buffalo-board-birch-plywood

which is part of the James Latham group. They delivered to my house. Trust me a sheet is heavy to move. 

For a smaller bits look for a local trailer manufacturer. They might have off cuts. 

I sealed the edges with a jollop mixture that someone said on here about 2 egg cups off silkiflex sealant. Egg cup full off white spirit and about an egg cup off black gloss painting give it a good shake in a jam jar. A little Horace long way. 

With my big sheet I managed to cut all for new seats at the front and rear. A split engine cover and a whole engine cover which I will use in winter. Mind you how much it's raining I think I need it now. 

Im away until next week but will look to see how much is left over when I get back.  Not sure I had much but some small bits may do the job.  

Edited by rustydiver

On 23/07/2017 at 17:01, WotEver said:

No yards very close to me but I guess I could go for a little drive. Thanks :)

Stick your head in boot wharf?

I purchased some off ebay, used internally, not sure i would like to use it externally, the stuff i have on my deck is a lot stronger.

3 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Stick your head in boot wharf?

Yeah, I'll see if Tony has any kicking around :)

Good idea sir!

3 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

I purchased some off ebay, used internally, not sure i would like to use it externally, the stuff i have on my deck is a lot stronger.

Always a worry with distance purchasing of such a product. It's a pain to send stuff back. 

Edited by WotEver
Spillung