Jabsco shower waste pump

Featured Posts

We have a Jabsco self priming shower waste pump. I have no idea how old it is but the boat is 1986 and I'm fairly certain this pump hasn't been changed since 2000. 

The pump is now taking longer to draw  the water out and I suspect the diaphragm is possibly worn. The pump isn't leaking at all.

What model of pump might be a good replacement? In addition, would any of you know if there are readily obtained parts so that I could refurbish this one and keep it as a spare?

20170722_161559.jpg

It does not have a diaphragm - it has a rubber impeller accessed by undoing the three screws in the brass end plate. If the plate is worn note the markings on it and reverse it. Any decent chandlers should have the impellers.

If it runs dry it will ruin the impeller so should always be used with a push button that turns it off as soon as you stop pushing.

Edited by Tony Brooks
  • Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Out of curiosity are those cable connections normally acceptable?

Define acceptable ;)

They'd probably pass a BSS but if it's going to stay it's hardly difficult to put a 3mm screw through the centre and fix it to the board. 

Just now, jddevel said:

Just thought that unsecured cable in an area where vibration is possible may have been frowned upon and not good practice. Obviously wrong.

Strictly speaking correct but most examiners aren't that picky.

It's 'orrible, I agree. Crimped bullet connectors would be far nicer but as I said before, if you must use chock block then spend 30 seconds to secure it with a screw. 

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

It does not have a diaphragm - it has a rubber impeller accessed by undoing the three screws in the brass end plate. If the plate is worn note the markings on it and reverse it. Any decent chandlers should have the impellers.

If it runs dry it will ruin the impeller so should always be used with a push button that turns it off as soon as you stop pushing.

Do you mean you need to keep pushing a button whilst showering? 

9 hours ago, ianali said:

Do you mean you need to keep pushing a button whilst showering? 

No, only when you want the shower tray/A bath emptied.

I do understand the OP thinking he needs a new pump. I do not understand any one telling him to spend getting on for £100 on a Whale pump when a (probably) sub £20 impeller and gasket stands every chance or solving the problem. I forget the new gasket in my original post).

I the OP now feels he must have a new shower pump I agree a gulper and probably a change of switch would be ideal but if so can I have the old pump, for a few quid an some cable and clips it will make a very useful general purpose pump.

Edited by Tony Brooks

3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I do not understand any one telling him to spend getting on for £100 on a Whale pump when a (probably) sub £20 impeller and gasket stands every chance or solving the problem. I forget the new gasket in my original post).

Because he asked! 

"What model of pump might be a good replacement?"

No one is telling him, just making a suggestion for a replacement for a 20 year old pump that something else is likely to fail on due to its age. 

Jabsco still make this.  There are two models - 12V and 24V.  http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/marine-and-rv/jabsco-electric-flexible-impeller-pumps/23680-series-water-puppy.htm

On a Jabsco bronze pump, the model number is usually stamped on the end cover. Does your pump look like the one linked above?

Impeller and gasket here https://www.jabscoshop.com/marine/pumps/deck-anchor-wash-pumps/23680-4103-water-puppy-self-priming-pump-24-volt-dc.htm

The impeller is the same for both models (12V and 24V)

Thanks all of you for your help. Yes, the electrical connections aren't ideal at all. I have gradually (but slowly) gone  round the boat sorting out untidy wiring and this area is now getting it's turn. 

Hopefully it will last until winter but as we travel round the system I call into chandlers and collect bits and pieces for my end of season projects. 

I will probably replace the pump like for like as you've let me know they are still available plus I will repair the original and keep this as a spare which will be useful. 

This forum is brilliant for help with jobs that we tackle only rarely and advice about the parts and process.

impellor comes in a little kit.  Impellor, 0 rings and the gasket, for the Water Puppy.  Jasco part number 6303-0003K.    Cleghorn Waring- Jabsco, Iknield way, Letchworth, Herts.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

The Whale Gulper pump is superior in many ways to this Jabsco as a shower waste pump so it seems daft to buy a new Jabsco the same. In particular it can run dry indefinitely so no more showering whilst paddling about in 3" of water in the shower tray. Just leave the Gulper running all the time.