2017 Summer Cruise Route Suggestions

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

It will still be there come 2019!

I don't think we will be going then either.

Trouble we have found is that we like trailing the boat to new waters now but the guy we use doesn't work weekends so we end up taking two and a half weeks for our summer holiday. That then means we don't have the time to holiday allowance to fit in our usual week to Wells.

Think it is the south coast for 2019. :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I don't think we will be going then either.

Trouble we have found is that we like trailing the boat to new waters now but the guy we use doesn't work weekends so we end up taking two and a half weeks for our summer holiday. That then means we don't have the time to holiday allowance to fit in our usual week to Wells.

Think it is the south coast for 2019. :rolleyes:

Too many nice places to visit. 

Time to invest in a 4x4 and trailer? 

Edited by rusty69

20 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Too many nice places to visit. 

Time to invest in a 4x4 and trailer? 

We have considered it. But it just isn't worthwhile for us.

We don't get enough time off work to warrant running a 4x4 and storing a trailer. 

It is more cost effective for us to pay someone to transport the boat.

But yes. Too many nice places to visit.

Edited by Naughty Cal

11 hours ago, rusty69 said:

We have only managed 3 weeks there this year. Usually manage at least 8.

We had a cruiser raft-up to us (arrived on the last of the tide) - he had come from Newark Via Hull.

We used to have a similar cruiser 20+ years ago when diesel was under 30p a litre but I would hate to pay the fuel bill  for cruising at 25 knots now.

We left Hull at 5:00 am (on the morning tide) it took us almost 13 hours to do the 67 NM, heading into a southerly wind it was not a 'sailing day' so it was engines on all the way, averaging 5.2 knots and using a total of just under 40 litres of fuel (for the two engines) giving a cost of £23 at £0.62/litre.

Fuel Cost 'per hour' = £1.77

The Cruiser left Hull at 16:00 on the afternoon tide and it took him 3 hours to do the 67 NM, he averaged 22 knots and used one gallon of diesel per 2 miles (by my working thats about 150 litres for the trip) at a cost of £0.62 per litre giving a cost of £93 at 62p / litre

Fuel Cost 'per hour' = £31.00

You can spend time, and you can spend money. Sometimes you can end up spending both, but you will never get anywhere without committing to spending at least one or the other....Sometimes money is cheaper than time.

I have 'done' the spending money 'bit' my time is now my own so I'll spend some of that.

13 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Say hi to the harbour staff for us.

First year we have not been for 7 years this year :(

Rob was not about, but passed onto your regards to the 'guys in the office' - they said they did not recall you but 'thanks anyway'. Will no doubt catch Rob later as we are stopping a few days.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

54 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have considered it. But it just isn't worthwhile for us.

We don't get enough time off work to warrant running a 4x4 and storing a trailer. 

It is more cost effective for us to pay someone to transport the boat.

But yes. Too many nice places to visit.

Then you need one of these, towable by a car.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2037262/Future-caravnning-New-13-000-cara-boat-combines-best-both.html

• Haha 1

It's not all about the cost per hour.

In the scheme of things even on thirsty fast boats, fuel costs are a very small part of the cost of boat ownership.

We spend less than  £1k a year on fuel, which for the use we get out of our boat we think is great value. 

19 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

It's not all about the cost per hour.

In the scheme of things even on thirsty fast boats, fuel costs are a very small part of the cost of boat ownership.

We spend less than  £1k a year on fuel, which for the use we get out of our boat we think is great value. 

Agreed, but having done the 'speedy' thing (and been arrested in Holy Lock by armed military police for speeding past the Submarine pens), it was time to 'slow down', hence the years of NBing, fed up of muddy-ditches and failing infrastructure, decided to go back to one boat on the rivers and coastal and one boat for coastal and trans-ocean. Both doing about 6-8 knots cruise.

"if you have to ask, you cannot afford it"

Spend '200 years worth of your annual fuel bill' and use the wind for free.

42 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Agreed, but having done the 'speedy' thing (and been arrested in Holy Lock by armed military police for speeding past the Submarine pens), it was time to 'slow down', hence the years of NBing, fed up of muddy-ditches and failing infrastructure, decided to go back to one boat on the rivers and coastal and one boat for coastal and trans-ocean. Both doing about 6-8 knots cruise.

"if you have to ask, you cannot afford it"

Spend '200 years worth of your annual fuel bill' and use the wind for free.

When it is blowing in the right direction ;)

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Giant pipes (apparently up to 18 feet diameter and 500 metres long) are still appearing off the Norfolk coast.

Went past two today being recovered by tugs,

Picture of one of them.

CAM00255[1].jpg

Any ideas what they are? 

Lowestoft or Gt Yarmouth? 

35 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Any ideas what they are? 

Lowestoft or Gt Yarmouth? 

Gas / Oil pipes en-route from Norway to Algeria - boat had collision with a container ship, pipes all 'broke free'. It was all over the Eastern BBC news around the 12-15th August.

Pipes 'capped' at ends so are floating, but some are 'leaking' and 99% underwater and a major hazard to shipping.

Made good time (average 8knts) so kept going to Lowestoft - BIG MISTAKE - moored up in a boat breakers yard that is apparently a '5* marina'. Sorry we left Wells.

Need to find a Dentist tomorrow (Bank Holiday Sunday !!!!!) then continue South on Monday

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Gas / Oil pipes en-route from Norway to Algeria - boat had collision with a container ship, pipes all 'broke free'. It was all over the Eastern BBC news around the 12-15th August.

Pipes 'capped' at ends so are floating, but some are 'leaking' and 99% underwater and a major hazard to shipping.

Made good time (average 8knts) so kept going to Lowestoft - BIG MISTAKE - moored up in a boat breakers yard that is apparently a '5* marina'. Sorry we left Wells.

Need to find a Dentist tomorrow (Bank Holiday Sunday !!!!!) then continue South on Monday

That one past me by. We usually have to dodge the lobster pots, not bloody great oil pipes. 

We  usually stop at the royal Norfolk and Suffolk yacht club, which is ok, but maybe a bit small for you. 

Appointment at 2.30?:)

11 hours ago, rusty69 said:

That one past me by. We usually have to dodge the lobster pots, not bloody great oil pipes. 

We  usually stop at the royal Norfolk and Suffolk yacht club, which is ok, but maybe a bit small for you. 

Appointment at 2.30?:)

We usually aim for the yacht club as well. Always a friendly welcome.

48 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Humour at this time on a Sunday morning !!

(Mind you - granddaughter may not appreciate it - its her tooth)

Does the tooth fairy still pay out? Used to be fifty p in my day. I expect its fifty quid these days. Dig deep grandad:)

35 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

We usually aim for the yacht club as well. Always a friendly welcome.

Tried the RN&S YC, tried the Lowestoft CC no space for a 23 foot beam.

Having gone thru' the boat breakers yard we emerged a the APB 'Lowestoft Haven Marina' - the pontoons and the people are nice enough but being surrounded by derelict old boats in various stages of sinking, in the middle of a huge 'industrial estate' is depressing. (I am getting some stick for not stopping at Yarmouth)

View off the stern - and a 'fuzzy' zoomed in 'phone' picture.

CAM00258[1].jpg

CAM00260[1].jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

14 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Could Southwold accommodate you?

Should be a bit more picturesque then where you currently are.

That was the plan this morning ' looking at' Shotley Marina - however all changed today.

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Also recommended are the Suffolk and Essex rivers if you are heading further south. Thought you were headed for Scotland?

We were but 3 weeks hold up in Hull meant we couldn't get around to Anglesey before Son starts 6-12 months hospital treatment.

It all changes today as we realise that daughter in law and grand daughter visas expire end of September so we need to head back 'home' shortly, we now plan a couple more days in Lowestoft, then a couple of days in Gt. Yarmouth, then a run back up to Wells for couple of days before a final run back to Hull - even allowing for a few more days bad weather we can be home with a couple of weeks spare to get the Visa applications in.

We can always bring the cruiser out for a 'run' to Wells again in a few weeks -and there is always next year for Scotland / Wales.

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I didn't want to ask why he was going the wrong way:)

Wot Ja mean ?

Jus takin the scenic root !!!!!

9 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

I didn't want to ask why he was going the wrong way:)

Told  you he hadn't got lost:)

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That was the plan this morning ' looking at' Shotley Marina - however all changed today.

We were but 3 weeks hold up in Hull meant we couldn't get around to Anglesey before Son starts 6-12 months hospital treatment.

It all changes today as we realise that daughter in law and grand daughter visas expire end of September so we need to head back 'home' shortly, we now plan a couple more days in Lowestoft, then a couple of days in Gt. Yarmouth, then a run back up to Wells for couple of days before a final run back to Hull - even allowing for a few more days bad weather we can be home with a couple of weeks spare to get the Visa applications in.

We can always bring the cruiser out for a 'run' to Wells again in a few weeks -and there is always next year for Scotland / Wales.

Wot Ja mean ?

Jus takin the scenic root !!!!!

We hope to finally make it to Wells next week for some long awaited sailing and kayaking (sun bathing for the mrs)

Have a good trip back up!