2017 Summer Cruise Route Suggestions

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I am just finalising the passage plan for our Summer Trip – I know it’s a canal forum (but we are doing the Caledonian Canal, and would have done the Crinan Canal but we are too big – they have a 20 foot beam maximum)

I know there are a few ‘lumpy water boaters’ on the forum so looking for any suggestions for anchorages or marinas on route (that I may have missed).

Will be setting off from Hull around the 6-8th August and plan to be in Holyhead by Mid September so we have time to look at either a return trip, or arranging Winter moorings.

Plan / Route so far : (no rush and will be stopping for odd days R&R at 'nice spots' - eg Farne Islands)

Hull

Spurn Point (Anchorage)

Wells Next The Sea

Spurn Point (Anchorage)

Whitby (we are too large for Bridlington or Scarborough)

North Shields

Farne Islands (Anchorage)

Eyemouth

Arbroath

Stonehaven

Peterhead

Lossiemouth

Inverness

Caledonian Canal (taking 5 or 6 days and chilling out)

Fort William

Dunstaffnage Bay

Crinan

Lowlandman’s Bay (Anchorage)

Port Ellen

Ballycastle (NI)

Bangor (NI)

Port St Mary (IoM)

Holyhead

Around 900-1000 miles

32 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Have a great trip.  Blakeney is nice if you don't make Wells-next-the-Sea 

Thanks - I looked at Blakeney, but given the choice I'd rather not 'dry-out'.

The HM at Wells assured me we can get in and stay afloat - but depending on when we get there we may have to raft-up as its Wells festival until 7th August

I have been to Wells in 2015 and 2016 and missed out this year due to mechanical issues with the boats then unsuitable sea state. The depth at the visitor pontoon at Wells is adequate as they have the benefit of the wind farms so it is dredged whenever necessary.

Your route sounds good and I hope you achieve it.

Personally I am drawn in a different direction - but not this year and maybe not even next. Work does tend to interfere with boating.

I would personally head up to Newcastle in favour of North Shields.

Royal Quays marina is very nice but a bit remote from everything really.

The pontoon in Newcastle is right in the centre of it all.

The anchorage at Seil is lovely. 

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

I would personally head up to Newcastle in favour of North Shields.

Royal Quays marina is very nice but a bit remote from everything really.

The pontoon in Newcastle is right in the centre of it all.

The anchorage at Seil is lovely. 

Newcastle - no thanks - we like 'remote'.

Seil Island & the Bridge over the Atlantic - I'd forgotten about that - we used to hire caravans (around the Oban area) when, many years ago, a 'flotilla' of us used to take trailer boats up there.

Booootiful part of the coast / world.

On 22/07/2017 at 16:31, Alan de Enfield said:

I am just finalising the passage plan for our Summer Trip – I know it’s a canal forum (but we are doing the Caledonian Canal, and would have done the Crinan Canal but we are too big – they have a 20 foot beam maximum)

I know there are a few ‘lumpy water boaters’ on the forum so looking for any suggestions for anchorages or marinas on route (that I may have missed).

Will be setting off from Hull around the 6-8th August and plan to be in Holyhead by Mid September so we have time to look at either a return trip, or arranging Winter moorings.

Plan / Route so far : (no rush and will be stopping for odd days R&R at 'nice spots' - eg Farne Islands)

Hull

Spurn Point (Anchorage)

Wells Next The Sea

Spurn Point (Anchorage)

Whitby (we are too large for Bridlington or Scarborough)

North Shields

Farne Islands (Anchorage)

Eyemouth

Arbroath

Stonehaven

Peterhead

Lossiemouth

Inverness

Caledonian Canal (taking 5 or 6 days and chilling out)

Fort William

Dunstaffnage Bay

Crinan

Lowlandman’s Bay (Anchorage)

Port Ellen

Ballycastle (NI)

Bangor (NI)

Port St Mary (IoM)

Holyhead

Around 900-1000 miles

Alan,

We've done the Scotland to Ireland trip quite a few times but all more than 5 years ago.

Biggest changes I would make are i) insert Rathlin Island (first stop for a decent Guiness) and delete Crinan (lumpy place).

You didnt say what your draught or cruising speed is.

From Fort William down, we always used to do Dunstaffenage (although it is a bit big and busy), Crobh Haven much nicer, Craighouse on Jura (lovely protected anchorage) then Port Ellen, Rathlin island, Ballycastle (bit busy), Glenarm (nice quiet marina) and then I would give Bangor (but good for shops if you need them) a miss as it is far too busy and go on to Ardglass which is a really nice small marina (if you boat fits) with a great pub in the village where you get locked in if you get there too late. We never got to the IOM as we headed south when we got to Ardglass.

Another option (or if you have time when in the Jura/Islay area) is to stop at Gigha. Great anchorage protected from anything but Easterlies with superb sea food restraunt at the end of the landing pontoon. I never found the anchorage at Seil that flat, but just before you get there is one of the best anchorages on the west coat, Phuilladobhrain (spelling?), but it can get full. Its a short walk from there to the 'birdge over the atlantic' and the Tigh an Truish Inn. Great pub. If we were on a trip, we always did Dunstaffanage to Craighouse in one day as you have a 5knt tide behind you for 4 hours. If you have never done the trip before, take careful notes of the tide and follow the pilot book instructions closely - around the Cuan sound as the tides are very stong.

Rathlin Island is lovely. Very remote. Totally quiet once the day boats from Ballycastle go home. Really nice pub - at least it was 8 years ago.

We spent a few years moored at Port Edgar on the forth but this is a 30 mile detour from your route. Eyemouth on the way up is ok but we always struggled with our 2.0m draught at spring tides (ok on neaps).

Lossiemouth is a nice marina and the town nice. Peterhead on the otherhand is a marina well away from the town. Last time we went there, we were entering the outer harbour and a crew member rang his mate who lived in Peterhead and asked 'we are just sailing into the harbour, what's the best thing to do for the night'. The answer was turn around and carry on sailing. Nuff said - a bit of a dump IMHO.

If you are into nice small fishing harbours, McDuff is a nice stop just before Lossiemouth.

Not sure again if you have done this trip before but watch out for Rattray head and follow the pilot book instructions. Any significant wind, keep offshore. We've done it in a flat calm and a Force 8 and a few conditions in between. Set the speed record in our boat downwind in a force 8, surfing down the waves. In can be dangerous in bad weather.

In our 3 trips down the Cally, we never stopped in Inverness but in the basin at the north end of the canal. That was quite nice.

Hope the trip goes well.

Edited by Dr Bob

4 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Hope the trip goes well.

Thanks for all that - some good alternatives to have a look at.

A non drinker and wife doesn't like Guiness.

2 dogs who need walk (?) every 12 hours

Draft about 4 foot

Base planning on 5 to 6 knots and would rather get there early and 'hang about' rather than get there late and find the 'gates shut'.

Have achieved 12 knots coming upstream on the Humber, and 14 knots West to East in the Channel - have also averaged just over 1 knot taking 3 days to cross the Bay of Biscay (engines running all the time)

Some years ago we had a Fairline Corniche (twin 200hp Volvos) based at Holyhead and regularly went over to Ireland, Isle of Man and Southern Scotland - but travelling at 20+ knots and using 1 gallon per 1 & 1/4 miles is a different world to having a 'rag & stick' 5-8 knot boat.

Holyhead to Port St Mary just over 2 hours

Another couple of  reccomendations.

Dunbar (north of Eyemouth) is a great small harbour - some nice pubs - but a tricky entrance.

The trip from Eyemouth to Arbroath is quite a long one with no real 'safe' ports if things go wrong. Dunbar is good but the pilot books make it look difficult.

If something goes wrong when you are at the mouth of the Forth, then Anstruther is an option but you can only use the outer harbour and that is exposed and shallow, dries on springs. Instead, Pittenweem is a few miles to the west and that is a great harbour. Problem is that they only like fishing boats so the Pilot books tell you to keep away. In bad weather though, it is by far the best 'safe' port

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Alan,

We've done the Scotland to Ireland trip quite a few times but all more than 5 years ago.

Biggest changes I would make are i) insert Rathlin Island (first stop for a decent Guiness) and delete Crinan (lumpy place).

You didnt say what your draught or cruising speed is.

From Fort William down, we always used to do Dunstaffenage (although it is a bit big and busy), Crobh Haven much nicer, Craighouse on Jura (lovely protected anchorage) then Port Ellen, Rathlin island, Ballycastle (bit busy), Glenarm (nice quiet marina) and then I would give Bangor (but good for shops if you need them) a miss as it is far too busy and go on to Ardglass which is a really nice small marina (if you boat fits) with a great pub in the village where you get locked in if you get there too late. We never got to the IOM as we headed south when we got to Ardglass.

Another option (or if you have time when in the Jura/Islay area) is to stop at Gigha. Great anchorage protected from anything but Easterlies with superb sea food restraunt at the end of the landing pontoon. I never found the anchorage at Seil that flat, but just before you get there is one of the best anchorages on the west coat, Phuilladobhrain (spelling?), but it can get full. Its a short walk from there to the 'birdge over the atlantic' and the Tigh an Truish Inn. Great pub. If we were on a trip, we always did Dunstaffanage to Craighouse in one day as you have a 5knt tide behind you for 4 hours. If you have never done the trip before, take careful notes of the tide and follow the pilot book instructions closely - around the Cuan sound as the tides are very stong.

Rathlin Island is lovely. Very remote. Totally quiet once the day boats from Ballycastle go home. Really nice pub - at least it was 8 years ago.

We spent a few years moored at Port Edgar on the forth but this is a 30 mile detour from your route. Eyemouth on the way up is ok but we always struggled with our 2.0m draught at spring tides (ok on neaps).

Lossiemouth is a nice marina and the town nice. Peterhead on the otherhand is a marina well away from the town. Last time we went there, we were entering the outer harbour and a crew member rang his mate who lived in Peterhead and asked 'we are just sailing into the harbour, what's the best thing to do for the night'. The answer was turn around and carry on sailing. Nuff said - a bit of a dump IMHO.

If you are into nice small fishing harbours, McDuff is a nice stop just before Lossiemouth.

Not sure again if you have done this trip before but watch out for Rattray head and follow the pilot book instructions. Any significant wind, keep offshore. We've done it in a flat calm and a Force 8 and a few conditions in between. Set the speed record in our boat downwind in a force 8, surfing down the waves. In can be dangerous in bad weather.

In our 3 trips down the Cally, we never stopped in Inverness but in the basin at the north end of the canal. That was quite nice.

Hope the trip goes well.

It was Puilladobhrain we went into. Not the other anchorage at Seil.

Cracking spot. Very sheltered. 

20170718_104121.jpg

20170718_113459.jpg

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

It was Puilladobhrain we went into. Not the other anchorage at Seil.

Cracking spot. Very sheltered. 

20170718_104121.jpg

20170718_113459.jpg

I guessed that one! Seil is not a good stop but it does have an excellent fish and chip shop. Free if you can eat their 'monster' fish supper ...but it looked too big for me. Agree Phuilladobhrain is very good and worth a stop if you can get in. It is often very full.

I had a friend who called his sailing boat after that anchorage. Can you imagine spelling that out to the coastguard as you go from port to port and keep them up todate with your position. "Shetland coastguard, Shetland Coastguard, this is yacht Phuilladobhrain, Papa, hotel, uniform, india, lima, lima, alpha, delta....................... What a good job there is no 'coastguard' for the muddy ditches!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, things not going quite to plan.

1st - 3rd August. Boat provisioned, fuel and water filled up, plotter programmed, charts all in order, engines serviced ready to go

Winds horrendous with Force 5 being the best with 7 & 8s occasionally forecast.

Awful weather for day after day.

10th August wind dropped to decided to leave marina and head for Spurn Point, overnight then decide North or South on the 11th.

Dropped the 'sooper-dooper' new anchor had a BBQ lunch, took the dogs to shore.

Back to boat, decided to move and tuck 'further in' as the tide changed and re-anchor.

Let-Go anchor and slowly drifted down wind when suddenly the anchor winch let out a squeal and the whole 80 metres of chain shot overboard followed by 100 metres of anchor rope.

Managed to stem the flow and get the rope cleated off and looked into the anchor locker - the windlass had sheared its mountings and smashed part of the casing, on investigation the alloy seemed to be very 'crumbly' and brittle.

Started to motor up-wind pulling in (by hand) the rope and the chain - 300kgs of chain and a bad back later felt the anchor, tied off the anchor chain and drove the boat 'over the anchor' to 'break it out', hauled the anchor & chain in the last 10 metres.

Headed back to marina as the wind started to pick up to 25mph (Force 6) made a good 9 knots and 3 hours later arrived at Marina lock gate, waited whilst a small sailing boat went into the lock, then followed him in, as I reduced the power going thru the lock gates a gust of wind took us and pushed us against the little yacht, breaking his flag-staff and scrubbing along his sides. Took about 10 minutes to get us safely tied up in the lock (but it seemed longer).

Once in the marina we were more sheltered and easily got to our mooring.

Saturday 11th August

Into chandlery to price up a new Anchor windlass.

Gulp - the one we need is £2100 + VAT plus wiring, switches, remote control etc etc. None in stock in the UK and the Italian manufacturer is closed until September.

Chandlery looking at options and suggested a fabricator they use. After speaking with him, he will come to the boat on Sunday and see if he can rebuild / replace the necessary parts in stainless steel (electrically it still works and the gypsy rotates as it should)

Quick walk to the shops for a bottle of scotch and a new flag-staff and the owner of 'Higgledy-Piggledy' is 'happy again'.

Wind currently forecast for F7 again tonight - no sign of 'settled weather' in the 16 day forecast.

Things can only get better. 

This summers weather is certainly the worst I can remember for a while. 

We were waiting to paint bottom of the boat up until Thursday. Finally managed to get it done today, but waiting for a weather window is grim. 

Edited by rusty69

On 18/08/2017 at 16:03, Alan de Enfield said:

Well we are still in Hull and have a nice 25-28 knot wind (in the marina) - looking better for Monday, so might just escape.

Dogs happy - as long as food and bed provided.

CAM00247.jpg

Good luck for tomorrow. 

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Good luck for tomorrow. 

Fueled up, provisioned up, lock booked for 05:00 Monday, plan to get to Wells for 18:00 (HW at 19:30).

Bacon and sausages in the fridge, bread rolls from the bakery 'on the side' - 'breakfast butties' as the Sun rises and we head for the 'open-sea'.

Tried calling the Wells Harbour Master all day today but no answer - want to confirm the Dredger will be clear of the channel by then, and that we will have enough water to enter, and enough space on the pontoon for a 'fat-cat'.

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Fueled up, provisioned up, lock booked for 05:00 Monday, plan to get to Wells for 18:00 (HW at 19:30).

Bacon and sausages in the fridge, bread rolls from the bakery 'on the side' - 'breakfast butties' as the Sun rises and we head for the 'open-sea'.

Tried calling the Wells Harbour Master all day today but no answer - want to confirm the Dredger will be clear of the channel by then, and that we will have enough water to enter, and enough space on the pontoon for a 'fat-cat'.

Have a great trip. 

The dredger should be clear by then. Bob may put you next to the Albatross (dutch barge), if too wide for pontoon.