CRT licence argument

dm6045

Featured Posts

Some years ago (but after the "thou shalt not pass on road fund to the next owner" shenanigans) I bought a car on the 30th September. Drove it home secure in the knowledge that I was "wrong" but had seen the seller post the transfer document in a post box after the last collection time - registered the vehicle to me on the 1st October.

Legally wrong - yes. Morally....

Just now, 1st ade said:

Some years ago (but after the "thou shalt not pass on road fund to the next owner" shenanigans) I bought a car on the 30th September. Drove it home secure in the knowledge that I was "wrong" but had seen the seller post the transfer document in a post box after the last collection time - registered the vehicle to me on the 1st October.

Legally wrong - yes. Morally....

Yep, done similar although it was a tranfer of ownership from a family member, so I did not send off the "sellers" part straight away, so wrong but pragmatic.  Also have bought one from a main dealer and they are all set up to handle this, they the give you free insurance for 5 days and go through the purchase of a licence online with you as part of the buying process, so that you can drive away immediately legally.  In that case the car will not have been taxed for some time what it has been on the dealers forecourt.

I am not saying with boats that you should jump through hoops to get this exactly right, just that is is difficult for the boat to be licenced properly during the purchase process.

• Greenie 1

I think you will find - the same as private sales of second hand cars  - that you must have a licence for the month that you bought the boat in.  Likewise the seller must also have a licence for the month in which they sold.  So most of the time that handover month is paid for by two people, ie twice.  Nice little earner.

I really hope that you get this sorted as I have just had a similar problem with CRT. In my case they have admitted their error and have given me back the month of licensing that they had robbed me of, but I did not do this online, I called by phone and they still made a mistake until I complained the next day. For a week I was distressed and wondering whether this was to be the 'norm' for life on the canals...battling with  authority when all I want is an easy life. Best of luck and I hope that CRT put it right for you.

On 22/07/2017 at 17:31, Alan de Enfield said:

basically -YES.

I have just typed out about 1000 words explaining it all, what to do, when to do it and what licences to buy - and its just 'vanished'

So you'll just have to take yes as the answer.

Sorry but just want to be clear here as don't want to fall into same trap.

Boat was bought on Thursday 27th July and will be out of the water until 14th August

Do I need to licence it today / tomorrow from 1st Aug to get early payment......worried that previous licence not yet cancelled, can I check this online?

Or can I apply for licence on 3rd Aug to start on 14th Aug, they will back date it to 1st but if I pay on the 3rd I still get early payment discount?

Read their pages but this info was not easily determinable from the pages I saw, all was geared towards explanations of how fines are issued and costs etc.

:cheers:

For every month, including part months that the boat is on CRT waters it must be licensed by the owner.  If it is out of the water from the moment you bought it then it will not require a licence until it goes in.  I suggest you talk to CRT as the on-line system may not give you the result that you want.

Added - If the boat goes in towards the end of August it will require licensing from 1st Aug, I would expect the on-line system to not apply early payment discount if you pay late, ie after the 31st July.  As we are talking a fair bit of money here I would talk to CRT, and do it now as they may be shut on Sundays.

Edited by Chewbacka

54 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Sorry but just want to be clear here as don't want to fall into same trap.

Boat was bought on Thursday 27th July and will be out of the water until 14th August

Do I need to licence it today / tomorrow from 1st Aug to get early payment......worried that previous licence not yet cancelled, can I check this online?

Or can I apply for licence on 3rd Aug to start on 14th Aug, they will back date it to 1st but if I pay on the 3rd I still get early payment discount?

Read their pages but this info was not easily determinable from the pages I saw, all was geared towards explanations of how fines are issued and costs etc.

:cheers:

If you apply for the licence AFTER the last day of the month prior to the start date then it is NOT early payment

If you apply or pay on the 3rd August it will be licenced 'backdated' to 1st August, so you are paying AFTER the commencement of the licence -so- no early payment discount.

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you apply for the licence AFTER the last day of the month prior to the start date then it is NOT early payment

If you apply or pay on the 3rd August it will be licenced 'backdated' to 1st August, so you are paying AFTER the commencement of the licence -so- no early payment discount.

And just to clear up another potential misunderstanding. The discount is actually called a "prompt payment discount" by CRT, but this is deeply misleading, it is nothing of the sort. In the world of business prompt payment discounts are usually given for payment within 30 days of invoice date.

The CRT discount is a discount for payment in advance. Pay in full before the licence begins and get 10% off.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Cheers for that....so pay today for next month, let's hope I don't cancel their insurance accidentally and then they cancel!?

I don't get that whole scenario for the OP ....how can they punish him for licensing a boat?

FYI - No idea if this is a new option on their website but I found a 'Transfer Ownership' option which registers me as the new owner.

THEN - I paid for the next 12 months.

......still no reason, in my mind why you should have had an issue....not a brilliant website for users being honest....low maintenance and presumes knowledge.....I got lucky thanks to reading around in here first.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And when does your licence commence ? (1st July, or 1st August)

Is valid until 07/18 asked for start 1st Aug and got the early payment discount :)

thanks for all your help...beers / wine always ready if we meet :cheers:

Just now, The Grumpy Triker said:

Is valid until 07/18 asked for start 1st Aug and got the early payment discount :)

Am assuming 07/18 is end of July given that I got the discount

On 29/07/2017 at 15:59, The Grumpy Triker said:

You're probably right, but assumption in my experience can cause some mothers of all cock-ups.

Get it clarified in writing!

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You're probably right, but assumption in my experience can cause some mothers of all cock-ups.

Get it clarified in writing!

:) working on the basis of a car tax disc it covers that month....but will certainly double check before next year ;)

if I got early payment then has to seem good for August doesn't it? :huh:

31 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Correct,

Glad you are all sorted.

On 29/07/2017 at 16:10, The Grumpy Triker said:

:) working on the basis of a car tax disc it covers that month....but will certainly double check before next year ;)

if I got early payment then has to seem good for August doesn't it? :huh:

I'd say yes, but I'm not the one deciding!

It will state the exact day of expiry on the licence 'disks' when they arrive. Or when you print them.