So what's going on here?

StephenA

Featured Posts

This boat has been like this since at least September last year:

IMG_2839.jpg

IMG_2841.jpg

It seems to be abandoned - its securely moored but so overloaded with junk that I don't think you can actually get in through the back door..

Edited by StephenA

8 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

Or on the Agenda 21 moorings.

Surely they've sorted that out by now haven't they?  I recall doing that stretch about six years ago and I thought we're going to catch something life threatening here before we get out of Oxford.

Just now, Neil2 said:

Surely they've sorted that out by now haven't they?  I recall doing that stretch about six years ago and I thought we're going to catch something life threatening here before we get out of Oxford.

To be fair, some of the boats were tidy, but some were actual s*it holes, one little plastic thing had a tarp all over it, covered in rubbish  cats and the owner had dumped a cooked chicken on the roof, maybe for the cats to eat but it had been there for a while and was covered in maggots.

My two pence, clear it out and clean it up.

That's on the Shroppie isn't it?

was like that in Feb when we first passed it with no sign of life, but when we went by in June there was someone aboard moving stuff onto the towpath from inside (just saw arms) but when we came back a week later all the stuff was piled back on and again no sign of life.

16 minutes ago, RLWP said:

what is the stern line tied to then?

Richard

It looks as if it could be a ring, or a mooring pin knocked down to the hilt (if mooring pins have hilts).

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

It looks as if it could be a ring, or a mooring pin knocked down to the hilt (if mooring pins have hilts).

I'm impressed! How did you learn to look through turbid water?

Richard

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I'm impressed! How did you learn to look through turbid water?

Richard

Me too. How did you learn "turbid"? That wins Word Of The Day so far, I reckon.

But seriously, the rear rope is on the bank, not in the water, is it not? But it's not tied to the very stern of the boat. I think that the rope tied to the dolly stud has (or had) a fender at its end.

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

Me too. How did you learn "turbid"? That wins Word Of The Day so far, I reckon.

But seriously, the rear rope is on the bank, not in the water, is it not? But it's not tied to the very stern of the boat. I think that the rope tied to the dolly stud has (or had) a fender at its end.

Turbid - I have a broad range of experience and a vocabulary that comes with it

Looks to me that the stern dolly has a line attached that hangs straight down into the water. There is certainly another line looping onto the bank attached to something, I'd say it was pushing the definition to describe that as 'secure' :P

Richard

The boat is lived on.  The lady has some health issues.  The local council have offered her help but she has declined.  Presumably C&RT just don't want to get involved.

• Greenie 2

Just now, dor said:

The boat is lived on.  The lady has some health issues.  The local council have offered her help but she has declined.  Presumably C&RT just don't want to get involved.

Or may already be involved.

Richard

4 minutes ago, junior said:

It's been there 3 years. The lady owner has MH issues, so perhaps the forum could take that into account before becoming judge, jury and executioner. 

Your comment is noted, but I think "executioner" is rather on the strong side! 

On 21/07/2017 at 09:57, junior said:

It's been there 3 years. The lady owner has MH issues, so perhaps the forum could take that into account before becoming judge, jury and executioner. 

Very sad. A difficult one, this. Should she (or anyone ill) be allowed to decline help and live like this?* Or should they be invaded and made to live in nice clean conditions?

*I'm guessing the interior of the boat matches the outside, rather than being clean tidy and well kept. 

If my late father-in-law had had a boat, it would have looked just like this one. We tried to help him, but he wouldn't allow us - and we know other people thought we were cruel for "neglecting" him. Social Services weren't interested. If anyone turned up who could help, he wouldn't answer the door. How can you force someone to be helped, particularly if you know it's going to make them even more ill or unstable? She isn't hurting anyone - neither was my father-in-law.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Very sad. A difficult one, this. Should she (or anyone ill) be allowed to decline help and live like this?

Yes. If you're alone it's comforting to be surrounded by your familiar possessions. How you store or stack them is your business as long as (as noted earlier) they aren't in other people's way.