Who goes first? - question on etiquette

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

34 minutes ago, Philip said:

Wasn't referring to how the lock was operated, just the fact that you seem to think people in a hurry or going faster than you are doing it wrong.

No. I think that people who expect me to rush just because that's how they want to do it are wrong. I have no problem with boaters who are in a hurry! 

I've often thought that as well as those really irritating 'SLOW DOWN' stickers that some boaters display, there should be a 'SPEED UP' version. In my view, we should all be able to move at our preferred pace when safe and courteous to do so. Some like to cover a lot of miles, some don't. Some have deadlines, some don't. There's room for us all with a bit of commonsense. If you're a dawdler, that means allowing a boat that has caught you up to pass at the soonest opportunity. I'm afraid I get really annoyed with boaters who drift along at 1mph but don't move over and let me pass whether out of ignorance or spite. I suspect hire boaters have it drummed into them to go slowly at all times and haven't been told they can always move over or moor up if they're causing a queue to form behind them.

I love those SLOW DOWN notices with extra text about being considerate and it's someone's home etc. The writing is generally so small that you can only read it by being virtually on top of it, by which point of course, it's too late to comply with their wishes. Sheer genius.