Who goes first? - question on etiquette

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Me too.

However, perhaps boat 3 thought "I'd best get a move on or that poor bloke who's been good enough to give way will be there all day". Or maybe both 2 & 3 thought of were having some sort of issue being as you were back and forth a bit. Things can look different from t'other end of the telescope is all I'm saying. :)

Well, what a great response. Thanks to all who took the time to give me your views. Very much appreciated.

From all of this, the 'chilling out' aspect comes through loud and clear and I now understand who has right of way and how the experts would do it.

Sea Dog's comment caught my attention. Fully agree with the different end of the telescope. We've only been at it a month now but the number of boats you give way to - to go through a simple bridge- and they dither about even when you signal them through - and then crawl through. You wish they would just put their foot down.

Ray T, love the comment on belt, fists and windlass! I can just see it.

Very interested in the replies to Hudds Lads question. Keep 'em coming!

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why not just let him go by rather than being antagonistic?

It was top lock of a flight of six. We exited the bottom lock about two locks ahead of him. We do not dawdle! He was being pushy and rude, I do not like people trying to bully me! 

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Well, what a great response. Thanks to all who took the time to give me your views. Very much appreciated.

From all of this, the 'chilling out' aspect comes through loud and clear and I now understand who has right of way and how the experts would do it.

Sea Dog's comment caught my attention. Fully agree with the different end of the telescope. We've only been at it a month now but the number of boats you give way to - to go through a simple bridge- and they dither about even when you signal them through - and then crawl through. You wish they would just put their foot down.

Ray T, love the comment on belt, fists and windlass! I can just see it.

Very interested in the replies to Hudds Lads question. Keep 'em coming!

Its the ones you stop for and wave through as you pull to the side to give them room only to find they have then stopped as well and are sitting across the cut, or they come through the bridge on tickover

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its the ones you stop for and wave through as you pull to the side to give them room only to find they have then stopped as well and are sitting across the cut, or they come through the bridge on tickover

Exactly

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I don´t come through at tickover when waved through but I've probably been guilty of apparently dithering at times.

Sometimes it's simply because it's not always easy to work out the other boat 's intentions (perhaps I should go to Specsavers), in which case it's probably better to dither for a moment for clarification/confirmation rather than meet under the bridge or at a narrow point close to it.

It always makes me smile when it is obviously your bridge hole, you see the bow wave of the approaching boat increase and then go into full screaming reverse when they see your bow in the hole. 

I there is one of those dozy types in front of us,  i just pull in and make a cup of tea,  by the time i catch them up it will probably be time for another one,  after all, what i the point in hurrying around the canals,  only hirers need to rush.  If you are the rushing type, get a different hobby because this one will ultimately drive you nuts  or turn you into the type of nutter who rammed me the other day as i was exiting the bridge at walking pace!

On 21/07/2017 at 07:26, ianali said:

We simply smile when boats rush by and thank heavens we are not like that. Had a chap following us through some locks a couple of days ago. Telling us he liked to go quickly and that we could open paddles faster than we were doing... We just smiled and slowed down a touch. Don't let the idiots spoil your day! 

You shouldn't think like that about people in a hurry. Some people, myself included, simply don't have the luxury of time to be able to spend weeks or months pottering around the system, due to other commitments. We still enjoy the canals nonetheless and want to see as much as we can in the little time we do have, so sometimes we have to get a move on.

This is why it irritates me when leisurely private boaters frown upon hirers who are 'doing' the four counties ring in the week.

• Greenie 4

36 minutes ago, Philip said:

You shouldn't think like that about people in a hurry. Some people, myself included, simply don't have the luxury of time to be able to spend weeks or months pottering around the system, due to other commitments. We still enjoy the canals nonetheless and want to see as much as we can in the little time we do have, so sometimes we have to get a move on.

This is why it irritates me when leisurely private boaters frown upon hirers who are 'doing' the four counties ring in the week.

Then I should have wound open the paddles regardless of our usual technique  and ran around as he advised? Even though as I said he was far slower than us through the locks! 

On 21/07/2017 at 08:36, Captain Pegg said:

I think you did the right thing but just got caught out by the extra factor of the junction.

The official order of priority is;-

1. A pair of working boats

2. Nick Norman

3. Everyone else

JP

Surely some mistake here ...

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 1

WebP is an image format developed by Google in 2010. The format allows users to save an image in either lossy or lossless format. Google has made bold claims about the compression efficiency of the format stating that it can be up to 34% smaller than the equivalent JPEG or PNG file.

9 hours ago, Heffalump said:

WebP is an image format developed by Google in 2010. The format allows users to save an image in either lossy or lossless format. Google has made bold claims about the compression efficiency of the format stating that it can be up to 34% smaller than the equivalent JPEG or PNG file.

...2010.......not caught on yet then!

• Greenie 1

On ‎22‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 22:47, ianali said:

Then I should have wound open the paddles regardless of our usual technique  and ran around as he advised? Even though as I said he was far slower than us through the locks! 

Wasn't referring to how the lock was operated, just the fact that you seem to think people in a hurry or going faster than you are doing it wrong.