Walsall lock flight

AMModels

Featured Posts

On Wednesday, July 26, 2017 at 09:56, furnessvale said:

Looking at the beam floating in the water, it is vandalism pure and simple.

Looks like some yobs have stolen themselves a chain saw.  With a bit of luck, one of them will not be used to using one and take his own leg off!

I still prefer hidden nails.  Much more chance of a snatch causing the effect outlined above!

George

Not that it matters a bit how the beam was cut off but the saw dust looks too fine for a chainsaw

if it was a chainsaw it would have taken bloody ages with lots of noise, a supprising amount of smoke and the cut face would show burn marks and tbh there would have been a resonable chance the chain would have seized. 

I could obviously  be wrong :)

12 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Not that it matters a bit how the beam was cut off but the saw dust looks too fine for a chainsaw

if it was a chainsaw it would have taken bloody ages with lots of noise, a supprising amount of smoke and the cut face would show burn marks and tbh there would have been a resonable chance the chain would have seized. 

I could obviously  be wrong :)

I doubt that! :)

In which case, if they put as much energy into honest work they would be wealthy yobs!

George

• Greenie 1

Looks like they have been cut off again

Update on 28/07/2017:

Unfortunately the newly installed beam has been vandalised again overnight, having been cut through.

It will be closed again until further notice, we will update as soon as we have any more information.

7 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Looks like they have been cut off again

Update on 28/07/2017:

Unfortunately the newly installed beam has been vandalised again overnight, having been cut through.

It will be closed again until further notice, we will update as soon as we have any more information.

That's sick! It must be sheer vandalism unless some one has a grudge againbts boats. But why just that lock? I think someone should put up discreet motion movement cameras (or whatever they are called) in the trees round the lock .

haggis

53 minutes ago, haggis said:

That's sick! It must be sheer vandalism unless some one has a grudge againbts boats. But why just that lock? I think someone should put up discreet motion movement cameras (or whatever they are called) in the trees round the lock .

haggis

Total insanity.  It is interesting why that specific lock, can't see any specific reason, it is close to the road, but so are other.  Perhaps one of the factory's opposite could help with a camera.

54 minutes ago, frangar said:

They need steel rod through them.....

Just out of interest how many fishermen do you get on that stretch....

Most of the Walsall has the fishing rights let out to clubs I think, one of the questions on this years BCN Challenge was about that.  So a reasonable amount of fishing on the canal as a whole, but of course very few boats.   I would guess most boats using the Walsall don't user the locks either, so it is hard to see that this is about fishing.

31 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Total insanity.  It is interesting why that specific lock, can't see any specific reason, it is close to the road, but so are other.  Perhaps one of the factory's opposite could help with a camera.

Most of the Walsall has the fishing rights let out to clubs I think, one of the questions on this years BCN Challenge was about that.  So a reasonable amount of fishing on the canal as a whole, but of course very few boats.   I would guess most boats using the Walsall don't user the locks either, so it is hard to see that this is about fishing.

May be because it's the middle of the flight so wouldn't be spotted until boats were half way up/down?  Causing maximum disruption presumably?

Edited by Psycloud

4 minutes ago, Psycloud said:

May be because it's the middle of the flight so wouldn't be spotted until boats were half way up/down?  Causing maximum disruption presumably?

It's a thought. There are so few boats using Walsall locks though, so there is not likely to be much of a queue.

28 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Again from Twitter, this is what they did to the new beam

DF0Pcb6XkAAkOAS.jpg

It also seems that two people have been apprehended for the damage and assault to CRT staff.

That doesn't look like a chainsaw cut to me. More like a very good, new hand saw. Someone with a lot of spare time & energy?

• Greenie 1

Anyway, why does the canal have to be closed? We used to manage to use  locks  OK  with busted or non-existent balance beams, just added a bit of rope to the strapping post  and pulled in the right direction. Load of namby-pambys these days:)

8 minutes ago, billh said:

Anyway, why does the canal have to be closed? We used to manage to use  locks  OK  with busted or non-existent balance beams, just added a bit of rope to the strapping post  and pulled in the right direction. Load of namby-pambys these days:)

I agree, remove the cut beam so nobody gets hurt and allow boats through at lock operators risk. Use a short shaft or rope to open\close gates.

1 hour ago, tree monkey said:

Your right its not

Maybe it was a cordless alligator saw  like this :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcs310d2-gb-10-8v-2-0ah-li-ion-xr-reciprocating-saw/14319?kpid=14319&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx7GMxJus1QIVA7ftCh0SJQqtEAQYBCABEgJ1lfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKfhz8mbrNUCFVeNGwoddkUKkA

Quieter than a chain saw and not quite as vicious.

Also agree that the gate could be used sans beam- there are several like that on the Stort IIRC.

N

18 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Maybe it was a cordless alligator saw  like this :

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcs310d2-gb-10-8v-2-0ah-li-ion-xr-reciprocating-saw/14319?kpid=14319&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIx7GMxJus1QIVA7ftCh0SJQqtEAQYBCABEgJ1lfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CKfhz8mbrNUCFVeNGwoddkUKkA

Quieter than a chain saw and not quite as vicious.

Also agree that the gate could be used sans beam- there are several like that on the Stort IIRC.

N

Blades too small?

2 hours ago, billh said:

There were places where the gates were never fitted with beams, the River Stort being one example - not sure if they were all like this though.

2 hours ago, AMModels said:

Confirmed by CRT, one CRT staff member assaulted and chased, suspects were subsequently arrested.

All we need now are the scrotes to be tied to the previous beams they destroyed and then slipped into the water .... what drives this mindless vandalism ?

• Greenie 1