HS2 canal crossing points

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

HS2 is daft. We should be building what we are going to need in the future. This will include extending the tube network so that the Picadilly line ends in Cardiff which will be a suburb of London, NW9467. The Northern Powerhouse will be The North London Powerhouse and will be converted to banks. The M225 London Outer Orbital will be a coastal road around England.

• Greenie 2

19 hours ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

This one crosses the Trent and Mersey between Middlewich and Northwich twice just àbove the ends of the lovely flash. That's the bad news. The up side is that at least there will be a decent phone signal here then because at the moment it is woeful.

20170719_143154.jpg

20170719_142721.jpg

Does HS2 explain why the marina development at Whatcroft seems to be on hold? nothing much happened there in the last couple of years.

7 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Carillon has become the size it is by the Private Finance Initiative. They were quick off the mark in buying and developing hospitals and then renting the previously owned buildings back to the NHS at inflated costs. They got it right,the NHS couldn't as funds wouldn't allow.

I worked for MITIE at the birth of PFI and a great deal of research was done to jump on the bandwagon.in some cases they were successful, but not as quick as Carillion. A very successful company.

I stand to be corrected.

Successful - not sure, 'top Honcho' resigned a week or so ago, shares trading at 300p+, fell to 49p, today trading at 68p...............

Sorry, just read some previous posts............

Edited by LEO

9 hours ago, billh said:

Does HS2 explain why the marina development at Whatcroft seems to be on hold? nothing much happened there in the last couple of years.

There is a lot of pontoon steel work piled up on the bank plus a couple of floating pontoons presumably to work from moored by a temporary work jetty . A stone work road has been laid down from the nearby lane. Three or four pontoon end piles have already been driven in on the bank edge.

Seems very slow progress though. I heard a tale that it was planning consent holding the work up.

• 5 months later...
On 20/07/2017 at 09:34, Nightwatch said:

Carillon has become the size it is by the Private Finance Initiative. They were quick off the mark in buying and developing hospitals and then renting the previously owned buildings back to the NHS at inflated costs. They got it right,the NHS couldn't as funds wouldn't allow.

I worked for MITIE at the birth of PFI and a great deal of research was done to jump on the bandwagon.in some cases they were successful, but not as quick as Carillion. A very successful company.

I stand to be corrected.

Time to eat your words methinks !

• Greenie 1

Carillion have been doing what all the large PFI mobs have been up to -- borrowing money from the banks, outsourcing all the low-paid jobs, often at several removes, creaming off a profit and trousering it for doing almost nothing. In other words, the lowest-paid are paying, instead of the government using its tax revenues responsibly for the good of everyone.

PFI and austerity simply do not mix.  

Chickens have come home to roost -- Carillion directors have discovered that the banks are happy to lend you an umbrella when the sun shines, but always want it back when it rains.

Edited by Machpoint005
sp.
  • Greenie 1

On 19/07/2017 at 16:44, Athy said:

Apart from that, you're in favour, then?

I agree, although I have been a lifelong lover of railways I am against it because it won't do much good and will despoil large amounts of countryside. What has happened to the society which was campaigning against it? I remember that at least one former CWFer was a member.

I live in Scotland, as do 10% of the voting population, more or [increasingly] less. There is no benefit, none at all. I used to fly N to S with Ryanir, but they gave up, so I am restrictedted to Virgin for long journeys, fine, but its a whole day from A to B, an overnight and a day returning from B to A . I won't be changing trains to go to Dover, or wherever it terminates.

EDIT: I believe it goes from London to Leeds and London to Liverpool, so why is it essential to do it quicker than by car, station to station [but not often door to door]

http://interactive-map.hs2.org.uk/

Common sense dictates that improving the current rail infrastructure and rolling stock would be much better: I have travelled wth Northen Rail, their rolling stock is 50 years old, not a pleasant experience, [and also v dirty]. Customers want choice, few  would  choose third class, but most would be happy with a clean, efficient, and reliable regular service. Last train I was on [ Virgin First Class] was two hours late due to total breakdown of train before departure  [yes it was after a non rail public holiday], so there were about 2/3 of the seats scheduled , and no catering, no toilet paper, no hand towels [these are being phased out, somewhat prematurely as the new hand driers had not yet been installed. There was loads of staff [as scheduled] but they were [wisely] keeping their heads down.

Edited by LadyG

13 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Common sense dictates that improving the current rail infrastructure and rolling stock would be much better: I have travelled wth Northen Rail, their rolling stock is 50 years old, not a pleasant experience, [and also v dirty]. Customers want choice, they would never choose third class.

Northern Rail's trains are pretty old, but they have got some improved ones on order:

Pockerley_Waggonway.jpg

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Carillion have been doing what all the large PFI mobs have been up to -- borrowing money from the banks, outsourcing all the low-paid jobs, often at several removes, creaming off a profit and trousering it for doing almost nothing. In other words, the lowest-paid are paying, instead of the government using its tax revenues responsibly for the good of everyone.

PFI and austerity simply do not mix.  

Chickens have come home to roost -- Carillion directors have discovered that the banks are happy to lend you an umbrella when the sun shines, but always want it back when it rains.

No doubt, but the directors are not going to suffer, are they?

On 19/07/2017 at 14:56, Peter-Bullfinch said:

This one crosses the Trent and Mersey between Middlewich and Northwich twice just àbove the ends of the lovely flash. That's the bad news. The up side is that at least there will be a decent phone signal here then because at the moment it is woeful.

WELL I KNOW ONE POSTER WHO WILL BE PLEASED ........... this should have been one of the main selling points, not just a spin off,  and half the country would have given it the thumbs up.

20170719_143154.jpg

20170719_142721.jpg

Edited by LadyG

21 hours ago, LadyG said:

I live in Scotland, as do 10% of the voting population, more or [increasingly] less. There is no benefit, none at all. I used to fly N to S with Ryanir, but they gave up, so I am restrictedted to Virgin for long journeys, fine, but its a whole day from A to B, an overnight and a day returning from B to A . I won't be changing trains to go to Dover, or wherever it terminates.

EDIT: I believe it goes from London to Leeds and London to Liverpool, so why is it essential to do it quicker than by car, station to station [but not often door to door]

http://interactive-map.hs2.org.uk/

Common sense dictates that improving the current rail infrastructure and rolling stock would be much better: I have travelled wth Northen Rail, their rolling stock is 50 years old, not a pleasant experience, [and also v dirty]. Customers want choice, few  would  choose third class, but most would be happy with a clean, efficient, and reliable regular service. Last train I was on [ Virgin First Class] was two hours late due to total breakdown of train before departure  [yes it was after a non rail public holiday], so there were about 2/3 of the seats scheduled , and no catering, no toilet paper, no hand towels [these are being phased out, somewhat prematurely as the new hand driers had not yet been installed. There was loads of staff [as scheduled] but they were [wisely] keeping their heads down.

Never let the truth get in the way of a good rant.

I don't know why you need a whole day to travel from Scotland to London when the train takes around 4 hours.

When HS2 is built, EVERY express from Glasgow and Edinburgh to London will use it to save time compared to existing journeys.

The OLDEST Northern Rail trains are 33 years old (most are much younger) and their replacements are being built as I type.

I travel frequently by rail and I cannot recollect when I last used a "very" dirty train but I will admit to occasional trains that could be better.

We can all give anecdotes about horrendous journeys, but the statistics show that rail consistently outperforms air with "on time" figures.  As for road, nobody even attempts to measure timekeeping.

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

I don't know why you need a whole day to travel from Scotland to London when the train takes around 4 hours.

When HS2 is built, EVERY express from Glasgow and Edinburgh to London will use it to save time compared to existing journeys.

The OLDEST Northern Rail trains are 33 years old (most are much younger) and their replacements are being built as I type.

I travel frequently by rail and I cannot recollect when I last used a "very" dirty train but I will admit to occasional trains that could be better.

We can all give anecdotes about horrendous journeys, but the statistics show that rail consistently outperforms air with "on time" figures.  As for road, nobody even attempts to measure timekeeping.

I don't live in the centre of Glasgow or Edinburgh, and I rarely want to go to King's Cross. Knocking 10 mins off the train jouney time will have less effect than you imagine, as  I spend 60 mins in changing trains, so its unlkely that the 10 minutes saved will have any impact on my total journey time.

My average travel time to my English destination from my home is seven hours, whether by rail or by car, or by air. When I used to fly [Ryanair] I had to leave the house at 04.15, The first train is 06.42, I have to leave the house at 06.22

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/the-northerner/2014/sep/07/helen-pidd-i-hate-northern-rail The trains are dirty, as in unclean, and slow. It is impossible to understand the driver who is tasked with announcing stations [tricky when it is dark outsde and the stations are hardly lit].  If you want to try the York to Leeds experience, be my guest. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15390172

OK, only 40 years old, but 60 year old technology. 

I've actually been in London, and used the Oystercard, the DLR and the Underground /Overground system, its fast, efficient and frequent. If they could get the air conditioning problem solved it would get a four point five star rating.

Edited by LadyG

27 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't live in the centre of Glasgow or Edinburgh, and I rarely want to go to King's Cross. Knocking 10 mins off the train jouney time will have less effect than you imagine, as  I spend 60 mins in changing trains, so its unlkely that the 10 minutes saved will have any impact on my total journey time.

My average travel time to my English destination from my home is seven hours, whether by rail or by car, or by air. When I used to fly [Ryanair] I had to leave the house at 04.15, The first train is 06.42, I have to leave the house at 06.22

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/the-northerner/2014/sep/07/helen-pidd-i-hate-northern-rail The trains are dirty, as in unclean, and slow. It is impossible to understand the driver who is tasked with announcing stations [tricky when it is dark outsde and he stations are hardly lit].  If you want to try the York to Leeds experience, be my guest. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-15390172

When in a hole, stop digging.

33 is not 40.  60 year old technology involved steam not hydraulic drives and disc brakes.

George

11 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

When in a hole, stop digging.

33 is not 40.  60 year old technology involved steam not hydraulic drives and disc brakes.

George

The Blue trains 1961, Glasgow, not steam. Undercarriages just like  The Pacers.

Are there any Pacer trains in London?

I'll bet Knan would have them derailed, permanently.

I think you are forgeting the main point here. The Pendolino made a sgnificant change to rail times, that  was the big improvement from Glasgow - London.

Edited by LadyG

36 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It is impossible to understand the driver who is tasked with announcing stations [tricky when it is dark outsde and the stations are hardly lit].

Drivers do not make station announcements. They are either automated or made by the Guard.

Some of the technology on the railways is older than that, but funnily enough it works and works well.

Edited by Graham Davis

19 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Drivers do not make station announcements. They are either automated or made by the Guard.

Some of the technology on the railways is older than that, but funnily enough it works and works well.

Well the Guard must be badly trained throwing the mike crashing in to its cradle every time ......... guess which line this is .............. "annl",  "strbcks" " "..Park"

Anyone who is partially sighted would really struggle, and obviously,  they don't have the option to drive a car, which would probably be the preferred option, certainly faster..

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

And the Northern Class 158s, which date from 1989-92 and form the mainstay of my daily commute into Leeds, are currently being refurbished. The completed units are much fresher looking, have new comfortable seating and fully accessible toilets which don't discharge onto the track.

31 minutes ago, LadyG said:

The Blue trains 1961, Glasgow, not steam. Undercarriages just like  The Pacers.

Are there any Pacer trains in London?

I'll bet Knan would have them derailed, permanently.

I think you are forgeting the main point here. The Pendolino made a sgnificant change to rail times, that  was the big improvement from Glasgow - London.

The oldest trains still operating in London are 8-9 years older than Pacers so Mr Khan must be spitting feathers.

All the Pacers will be gone in less than 2 years.

Pendolinos improved the west coast and class 91 + Mk4 coaches improved the east coast line, but that is no reason to stop further development.  HS2 including lines to Manchester and Leeds, but no further, will cut 50 minutes out of the timings for anglo scottish trains using it.  Extensions to HS2 further north would proportionately save even more time.

George

I don't go to Leeds via Manchester, in fact I've nevr been to Manchster, I won't be going anyime soon. I don't mind if he folks who buy tickets for the train pay bck the £60+M, but first pay back another many millions to those who lost out. If he tickets reflected these costs folks would not travel by rail, but they could probably afford a taxi.

3 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I don't go to Leeds via Manchester, in fact I've nevr been to Manchster, I won't be going anyime soon. I don't mind if he folks who buy tickets for the train pay bck the £60+M, but first pay back another many millions to those who lost out. If he tickets reflected these costs folks would not travel by rail, but they could probably afford a taxi.

???????????? What are you on about?

On your second point, I feel exactly the same about aircraft but I have to contribute to their massive subsidies whether I want to or not.

George

54 minutes ago, David Mack said:

And the Northern Class 158s, which date from 1989-92 and form the mainstay of my daily commute into Leeds, are currently being refurbished. The completed units are much fresher looking, have new comfortable seating and fully accessible toilets which don't discharge onto the track.

Are these the ones that do the Settle to Carlise route .... with no First Class or observaton car? What do wealthy tourist think when they use this famous rail link?

I assume you work for Nothen Rail, or you would not be blind to their shortcomings, maybe your journey is measured in minutes not days [like me]

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

Well the Guard must be badly trained throwing the mike crashing in to its cradle every time ......... guess which line this is .............. "annl",  "strbcks" " "..Park"

Anyone who is partially sighted would really struggle, and obviously,  they don't have the option to drive a car, which would probably be the preferred option, certainly faster..

Perhaps you should change your name from Lady G to Lady Exaggeration!

I reguarly catch trains throughout the UK and VERY rarely do I hear the Guard making a mess of any announcements.

7 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Perhaps you should change your name from Lady G to Lady Exaggeration!

I reguarly regularly  catch trains throughout the UK and VERY rarely do I hear the Guard making a mess of any announcements.

Absolutely: most  trains have automatic announcements, often with illuminated screens.

Sometimes you get some Geordie banter over the intercom, 

but...............

This particular train is like no other, believe me :)

Edited by LadyG