CCing in a widebeam

Bromleyxphil

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

They obviously enjoy breathing in the stench from their toilets when they're relaxing inside of an evening. 

Keith

As opposed to the lovely warm feeling generated from under the bed by 6 months of drying poop - quietly de-composing away in its plastic tubs.

Our 'old house' (built in the 1600s) had a 3-seater toilet where it all dropped thru onto sawdust / ashes but at least it was taken away each night by the 'staff' - it looks as if some people have actually regressed even further back than that, and they want to keep it hanging around for months on end.

Good job we are not all the same.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As opposed to the lovely warm feeling generated from under the bed by 6 months of drying poop - quietly de-composing away in its plastic tubs.

Our 'old house' (built in the 1600s) had a 3-seater toilet where it all dropped thru onto sawdust / ashes but at least it was taken away each night by the 'staff' - it looks as if some people have actually regressed even further back than that, and they want to keep it hanging around for months on end.

Good job we are not all the same.

Do you know someone who does that Alan? Not come across anyone who does that myself.

I know of some who do the whole process and use it on their gardens but they don't store it inside their boats.

I disagree about it being a good job we are not all the same, about this subject at least, the time will come when composting human waste will be the only acceptable way of dealing with it. 

Keith

1 hour ago, Steilsteven said:

I know of some who do the whole process and use it on their gardens but they don't store it inside their boats.

I

Keith

What do folk on boats with composting loose do with the stuff while it is composting? This can take months apparently and I have not yet seen an answer to this question from any of the folk who say that composting is the way to go. 

haggis

4 minutes ago, haggis said:

What do folk on boats with composting loose do with the stuff while it is composting? This can take months apparently and I have not yet seen an answer to this question from any of the folk who say that composting is the way to go. 

haggis

Nor have I. If you have a home mooring with a bit of land where it can be stored, but CC ing ?

7 minutes ago, haggis said:

haggis

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Nor have I. If you have a home mooring with a bit of land where it can be stored, but CC ing ?

One answer to the question (which was posted on this very forum) was that it was quite legal to 'chuck it into C&RTs waste bins'.

Not sure that I'd like to be the operator at the other end 'sorting' thru it all - surely there are 'health / infection/ disease transmission questions' to be asked - and - at what 'state' or time period does it go from being unacceptable to acceptable, and where do you store it until it reaches the 'acceptable' stage ?

Primitive !!!

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I suspect that it is just chucked into the waste bins which is a bit antisocial. What if the poo bag bursts when someone throws something on top or when the bin is being emptied.   Disgusting!

haggis

Posted at the same time as Alan.Must type quicker :-) 

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1

53 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

We had a boat with a pump-out come and moor next to us in T&K once. The stench was utterly rank. We asked to move moorings in the end.

Oddly enough, we had the same experience with a composting loo  on the boat next to us. It stank something awful! 

haggis

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Oddly enough, we had the same experience with a composting loo  on the boat next to us. It stank something awful! 

haggis

Like I said!!! :D

Edited by Bromleyxphil

4 hours ago, Steilsteven said:

They obviously enjoy breathing in the stench from their toilets when they're relaxing inside of an evening. 

Keith

No stench from mine and only has to be emptied every 2 - 3 months perfik

On 24/07/2017 at 15:13, cuthound said:

Pedant mode on - Preston Brook Tunnel is on the Trent & Mersey Canal.

https://canalplan.eu/feature/38

I was under the impression that the Trent and Mersey stopped at the Dutton Stop Lock, what otherwise was the point of the canal companies putting the lock there. That is approx 100 yards from the Preston Brook tunnel so I would agree that the tunnel is on the Bridgewater Canal.

1 hour ago, johnmoly said:

I was under the impression that the Trent and Mersey stopped at the Dutton Stop Lock, what otherwise was the point of the canal companies putting the lock there. That is approx 100 yards from the Preston Brook tunnel so I would agree that the tunnel is on the Bridgewater Canal.

I think it's because the junction between the Trent & Mersey and Bridgewater canals is an end on meeting at the northern portal of - or even slightly inside of - the tunnel. Therefore the stop lock is at the southern end of the tunnel. It still performs the same function even though it is remote from the actual junction.

JP

7 hours ago, haggis said:

haggis

That's because the have (need!) a fan running 24/7/365 keeping the storage chamber at slight negative pressure. This to keep the stink inside the storage chamber (as the shyte slowly dessicates) from leaking into the boat. It pumps air continuously through the chamber to outside. It's no wonder they smell outside.

16 hours ago, haggis said:

haggis

Bag it and bin it as approved by EA and CRT.

Keith

25 minutes ago, Steilsteven said:

Bag it and bin it as approved by EA and CRT.

Keith

You mean put it in a CRT wheelie bin?   That's disgusting and so unthoughful of others. What if the poo bag burst when another boater chucks a bag of rubbish in? What if it is burst when the bins are being empited? To me putting human s*** in a public bin is probably the most disgusting thing I have heard of for a while. Apart from the stink in the bin what if some falls on an operative?

haggis

16 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

One answer to the question (which was posted on this very forum) was that it was quite legal to 'chuck it into C&RTs waste bins'.

Not sure that I'd like to be the operator at the other end 'sorting' thru it all - surely there are 'health / infection/ disease transmission questions' to be asked - and - at what 'state' or time period does it go from being unacceptable to acceptable, and where do you store it until it reaches the 'acceptable' stage ?

Primitive !!!

There is no more of a health hazard than many other items that are put in refuse bins. I dare say that many off the people who don't like the thought of this are quite happy to send all sorts of hazardous or polluting materials into the waterway via their sink and shower wastes. 

There is far far less of a health hazard than 'normal' ways of dealing with human waste, I used to work on sewage systems including wading in the stuff scraping silt off of pumping station walls so I do know what I'm talking about here. 

I'm not here to try and talk anyone into changing to a compost toilet, I couldn't care less what others do, apart from  them introducing nasty chemicals like Elsan blue into the drinking water system that is. We are very happy with ours after having had the other options one of which was very expensive.

The water closet and sewage systems needed to carry away human waste is something that we all think of as hygienic but it is an illusion.

Keith 

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's because the have (need!) a fan running 24/7/365 keeping the storage chamber at slight negative pressure. This to keep the stink inside the storage chamber (as the shyte slowly dessicates) from leaking into the boat. It pumps air continuously through the chamber to outside. It's no wonder they smell outside.

Not entirely true, some composting loos don't have fans yet still don't smell inside the boat.

The fan is intended to accelerate the composting  process, if it smells it is usually because enough '' cover'' hasn't been put on.

Better out than in.

Keith

There is far far less of a health hazard than 'normal' ways of dealing with human waste, I used to work on sewage systems including wading in the stuff scraping silt off of pumping station walls so I do know what I'm talking about here. 

The more accepted methods of getting rid of human waste do not involve risks to other people from inadvertently coming in contact with it.  We don't use loo blue and don't have smelly loos (we have a pump out and cassette on different boats) and  to hide such a disgusting practice behind the nastiness of loo blue is hiding your head in the sand, I think.  To my mind no human waste should ever be disposed of in a way which may result in others possibly coming in contact. What your job was is irellevant.

haggis

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, haggis said:

You mean put it in a CRT wheelie bin?   That's disgusting and so unthoughful of others. What if the poo bag burst when another boater chucks a bag of rubbish in? What if it is burst when the bins are being empited? To me putting human s*** in a public bin is probably the most disgusting thing I have heard of for a while. Apart from the stink in the bin what if some falls on an operative?

haggis

It isn't raw sewage like you pour down the drain, it is in the process of breaking down already and because it is only the solids it isn't  half as nasty.

Keith

4 minutes ago, haggis said:

The more accepted methods of getting rid of human waste do not involve risks to other people from inadvertently coming in contact with it.  We don't use loo blue and don't have smelly loos (we have a pump out and cassette on different boats) and  to hide such a disgusting practice behind the nastiness of loo blue is hiding your head in the sand, I think.  To my mind no human waste should ever be disposed of in a way which may result in others possibly coming in contact. What your job was is irellevant.

haggis

Why? Do you think that I never came into contact with it?

I suggest you read up on the subject before you accuse me of hiding my head in the sand. I'm not here to defend a practice that has already been approved by the Environment Agency as acceptable. 

As I said I couldn't care less what you do, I know that all other types of boat toilet smell and I also know that people aren't aware of the smell inside their boats. 

Keith

• Greenie 1

20 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think you have that wrong Mike, the fan is to keep air passing over the solids to aid composting, and you’re welcome any time to come and see (smell) if ours smells but finishing of the composting when CCing is a problem though. Not telling what I do with mine.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2017 at 21:37, Captain Pegg said:

I think it's because the junction between the Trent & Mersey and Bridgewater canals is an end on meeting at the northern portal of - or even slightly inside of - the tunnel. Therefore the stop lock is at the southern end of the tunnel. It still performs the same function even though it is remote from the actual junction.

JP

Sign at North end of tunnel is BW

image.png.88dbfa2484511f77bfd561100f3fa992.png

Rebuild plaque is BW

P7010167.JPG

And then there is this:

8647867202_346771ce8d.jpg

So I think its safe to say that the tunnel is on the T&M .. also the first "Welcome to the Bridgewater ... prepare to pay us money" notice is north of the northern portal.

I know this is off topic from the original poster's question. However...

I wonder if we haven't got a bit sensitive about human excrement in the last 60 or 70 years.

• There was a time (and the practice is still in current use in some countries I believe) when human excrement was used a a crop fertiliser;
  • at our beach cottage in NZ we had a septic tank, and the contents (with no chemical intervention) eventually converted to clear water through the action of fabulously busy bacteria - well, so my dad told me. The key was not to use bleach/commercial toilet cleaning solutions/detergents. Hence the efficacy of the composting loo.
  • we all poo, and when we were babies and toddlers our mums (mostly mums) cleaned our bums and disposed of the poo without dying.

I'd have to say I don't like the smell of it, but it's only poo and pee, after all. And if we are healthy individuals, it is not dangerous - especially if we wash our hands after toileting/pumping out/emptying the cassette.

If I had a composting loo, I'd be prepared to use the well-composted stuff in my roof top allotment - after all, at home I use sheep/horse and chicken poo on my veges, and at least I know what we have eaten and whether it is safe! I don't know that about the sheep/horses/chickens. And who knows what is in the commercial compost that I buy!!

PS We would have a composting loo on board now if it met the criteria of the cost benefit analysis - there would be too much reconstruction required in the bathroom to take out the pumpout tank and deconstruct the pedestal and then do the necessary carpentry/tiling for a composting loo to be fitted. But we are happy with our drop through/pumpout toilet and our cassette as being cost effective and ecologically efficient solutions.

• Greenie 1

Have you lot ever heard the expression "There's more than one way to skin a cat"?

Apply this to boat toilets and then we can just agree that some like composting toilets, some like cassettes and some like pump outs. Each to their own and it's all fine... What's good for me may not necessarily be good for someone else. I wonder why that's so hard for some people to understand? :huh:

Personally I like my Vacuflush with remote cassette. Had it on the boat for 12 years now so it's taken it's fare share of No 2s :lol: and if I was buying again I'd go for the same thing - except that they've stopped making it! 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1