Free standing furniture on a widebeam

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

Okay so just had the final spec for works to be undertaken by my boat builder. I alas can not afford a fully fitted new widebeam and altho i will have fully fitted kitchen and bathroom and 2 bulkheads i wont have any doors etc or bedroom storage or storage in general. So can free standing furniture work on wide beams? Does anyone use free standing furniture and if so any pics for inspiration. I worry about the loss of space using free standing.....as cupboards and wardrobes wont be fitted to tge shape of the sides etc... ...

15 hours ago, blackrose said:

I fitted my kitchen and made my own cupboards. I had no previous experience. 

DSC_5953.JPG

DSC00487.JPG

DSC00487.JPG

I also have some freestanding furniture - sofas, and a hi-fi cabinet which I made.

DSC_5942.JPG

You will still get some narrowboat owners saying they prefer the interior of their sewer tube to that interior :lol: you couldn't make it up :)

7 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Nice....im not tooooooo bad with woodwork but dont have all the tools to really finish off the woodwork but id give it a go for sure.

Isn't that an excuse just to get some nice tools tho? :D

39 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

You will still get some narrowboat owners saying they prefer the interior of their sewer tube to that interior :lol: you couldn't make it up :)

That would be me then ! 

I still prefer my narrowboat and narrowboats generally . That said ive seen these fotos in the past and it is very nice - especially the cupboards along the sides under the gunwales. 

Id agree with Blackrose about trying it yourself .BUT only do so if prepared to buy  the necessary tools . Ive done plenty of interior work on my boat and ive found learning the new skills required to be one of the joys of boat ownership . Plan ahead , use decent tools , cut no corners , take time when needed and plenty of breaks and you can pick up such skills & you get to sit back afterwards and think ..." i did that " 

The money on the tools isn t wasted ... its invested and you ll use them time & again & you  ll save a great deal of money in the long run 

Edited by chubby

16 hours ago, blackrose said:

I fitted my kitchen and made my own cupboards. I had no previous experience. 

I also have some freestanding furniture - sofas, and a hi-fi cabinet which I made.

DSC_5942.JPG

Looks to be top notch work you've done there Blackrose.

Q.  You seem to be lacking in downlights, do you find the lights you have in the centre provide enough even light?   Would you do the same again or have the downlights more evenly spread across?

8 minutes ago, chubby said:

The money on the tools isn t wasted ... its invested and you ll use them time & again & you  ll save a great deal of money in the long run 

Although if you are not going to use the tool a lot, especially with power tools, spend the money on the "bits".   I've got a cheapo DIY circular saw, dump the blade that comes with it and spend the money on a quality one for decent cuts.   Same with routers, drills, grinders, etc.

22 minutes ago, Robbo said:

One thing to note is that, before getting the furniture make sure it can get through the door!

Fit an easily removable dogbox and you have a huge hole in the ceiling through which you can lower furniture :)

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

Fit an easily removable dogbox and you have a huge hole in the ceiling through which you can lower furniture :)

After swearing the other week trying to get some 8x4 plywood into the cabin, a dogbox may be on my agenda!

2 minutes ago, Robbo said:

After swearing the other week trying to get some 8x4 plywood into the cabin, a dogbox may be on my agenda!

You wouldn't quite get a full 8x4 sheet sideways through a 2m x 1m dogbox but you'd easily get it through lengthwise. 

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

You wouldn't quite get a full 8x4 sheet sideways through a 2m x 1m dogbox but you'd easily get it through lengthwise. 

A 8x4 sheet just fits at a angle from my wheelhouse to cabin.  Have to remove the wheelhouse roof tho.   My door aperture is just around 62cm wide and around 90cm high so getting large furniture in is interesting!

So here is a screen shot of my proposal as a liveaboard. What do we think of the level of spec of electronic equiptment etc. Ive never been through this proccess before and worry how much work is left after paying all this out as my budget will be maxed out.......only monthly income to continue the fit out......

Screenshot_20170719-180345.png

15 minutes ago, Robbo said:

15mm spray foam?  Shurley that’s a mistype?

I have seen it thinner, I would also pay extra not to have the vents in the doors  but in the bulkheads so that they can be baffled and not have a force 8 through the boat on a windy winters night. 

2 minutes ago, Matt&Jo said:

No 1.5cm spray foam all over......

Thats not enough minimum of 30mm preferably 50mm. On Parglena it was very noticable in the summer that the extension had 50mm and the origional boat 20mm.

Present NB I believe is 30 and that's just enough, still gets hot in the sun.

Ohhhhhh......i watched a video and the guy said his was too thick from these guys and he had to cut alot of it off to see the battons......

Its going to be totaly empty in terns of bed cupboards in bedroom wardrobes storage shelves etc etc....kinda scary but i dont think that much to do....

Edited by Matt&Jo

• 6 months later...
On 19/07/2017 at 18:37, Matt&Jo said:

Ohhhhhh......i watched a video and the guy said his was too thick from these guys and he had to cut alot of it off to see the battons......

Its going to be totaly empty in terns of bed cupboards in bedroom wardrobes storage shelves etc etc....kinda scary but i dont think that much to do....

If that was jono, the foam was sprayed on by a blind bat, varied from 2inches, overlapping everything, to too thin. Jono has his own ideas, and later fitted extra battens as explained in the later vlog.

Ask for foam finish options,  and get the best job done, as it takes ages to sort out problems.

Edited by LadyG