Canalside Property

mark99

Featured Posts

What an odd advert: the estate agent's blurb suggests that you should buy the property so that you can knock it down and build another one. If I paid £450,000 for it (admittedly, it's quite a lot of house and land for the money) I rather think that I would prefer to keep it in good condition, with the exception of that ludicrous bit of terrace garden.

19 minutes ago, Athy said:

What an odd advert: the estate agent's blurb suggests that you should buy the property so that you can knock it down and build another one. If I paid £450,000 for it (admittedly, it's quite a lot of house and land for the money) I rather think that I would prefer to keep it in good condition, with the exception of that ludicrous bit of terrace garden.

I agree with the estate agent - it's toast.

The only surprise is that the present owner hasn't got at least OPP on the plot.

24 minutes ago, Athy said:

The people who bought my mother in Laws house did just that. and it cost more than £450,000 They were going to extend/modernise, but on a new build you save 20% VAT The house is not worth £450,000 it wont cost that much to rebuild it.

27 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The people who bought my mother in Laws house did just that. and it cost more than £450,000 They were going to extend/modernise, but on a new build you save 20% VAT The house is not worth £450,000 it wont cost that much to rebuild it.

Say land is worth 45%, rebuilding 30% and if done yourself kick out the 20% gross profit builders make. 5% for beer.

Edited by mark99

Where I used to live in Surrey, there were many 1930's semi-detached houses with huge gardens. Many were bought by developers in the 1980's, who then made an over the top offer for the house next door, knocked both down and built a cul de sac of small homes with postage stamps sized gardens.

Eventually the local authority got wise to it and began imposing tougher planning conditions.

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Where I used to live in Surrey, there were many 1930's semi-detached houses with huge gardens. Many were bought by developers in the 1980's, who then made an over the top offer for the house next door, knocked both down and built a cul de sac of small homes with postage stamps sized gardens.

Eventually the local authority got wise to it and began imposing tougher planning conditions.

I wonder why. The developers' plans would seem beneficial: more houses would be available for people on lower budgets (in a notoriously expensive part of the country) and the householder next door would be quids in. What was there to "get wise to"?

Too much development too quickly changes the character of the area, much to the chagrin of the locals (and the local government listen to them as it affects their chances of being re-elected) and it also requires the local authority to invest in costly infrastructure such as schools, hospitals and road improvements.

15 hours ago, Athy said:

It looks to me as though it is based on mobile home units, so really they are trying to sell it as a glorified building plot.  The owners could possible get PP for a number of properties, or build a single large house.  The address might be Wolverhampton, but Wightwick is well out of the town in a nice area.

4 hours ago, cuthound said:

Too much development too quickly changes the character of the area, much to the chagrin of the locals (and the local government listen to them as it affects their chances of being re-elected) and it also requires the local authority to invest in costly infrastructure such as schools, hospitals and road improvements.

It also helps local authorities to meet the targets for new homes which are imposed on every local authority by central government, and adds to Council Tax receipts.