EA moorings BS

Nige123

Featured Posts

Just now, Nige123 said:

CRT has the cash to buy them in any case. it's called investment in your asset........................ next question?

I suspect as marinas seem to be opening at a good rate round the country it is better business to leave it in the hands of private enterprise and take their 9% cut.  Otherwise they have a continual demand on resources for staffing, maintenance, infra structure etc.  There is less outlay and risk letting private enterprise deal with the marinas and using any reserves they have for dredging much needed maintenance etc.

Might be a slightly better business model if they already owned the land.

12 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

CRT has the cash to buy them in any case. it's called investment in your asset........................ next question?

If they are for sale...

If they would get planning permission for a moorings development...

If they can show that they would make a sufficient return on their investment...

6 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I suspect as marinas seem to be opening at a good rate round the country it is better business to leave it in the hands of private enterprise and take their 9% cut.  Otherwise they have a continual demand on resources for staffing, maintenance, infra structure etc.  There is less outlay and risk letting private enterprise deal with the marinas and using any reserves they have for dredging much needed maintenance etc.

Might be a slightly better business model if they already owned the land.

Or they could ask "Do we need to pay our top brass SO MUCH MONEY" & could that money be better spent in buying land to make more moorings that will bring in LONG TERM PROFIT for CRT so we don't have to keep jacking up the boat licences for the boaters (The people that already pay the biggest amount)  

Can I ask Has the privatisation of British rail been a good thing for the customers or a bad thing? I can ask the same of gas, water, electric, post, housing etc etc 

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

If they are for sale...

If they would get planning permission for a moorings development...

If they can show that they would make a sufficient return on their investment...

Compulsory purchase order. urgent need for affordable housing. long term yes Thames & Kennett  marina charged me £750.00+ per month for my 60ftX12ft 2 years ago.

The cost of piling an area & running services on unused low laying farm land can't be that much due to flooding issues (that would not effect boats).

What happened to the can do people that built our canals? all I can see is backward looking old gits trying to avoid the real world issues... so sad....  

24 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

Will they get planning permission from the relevant local authority, as it is a change of use of the land.

Will there be sufficient demand to make it financially viable?

Wouldn't CRT be better off spending the money on maintenance?

1 hour ago, Nige123 said:

Maybe you can't read? How about "MAKING MORE MOORINGS"  Lets take just one CRT run canal/river so you can follow.

The K&A it has many miles of fallen trees & collapsing banks, it has far to few services & in the Reading area it also has many lakes right next to it. Cutting a Chanel & fitting a bridge could make moorings & solve the hole problem.......

At Southcote moorings you could do this with the field next to it (the bank here has leaking into this field for over 15 years now & BW & CRT have done nothing) This field could hold thousands of boats & house many people & aid new boat sales & push up the price of used boats in the area. It would also generate many thousands in revenue for CRT with boat licences & mooring fees. 

This would support local boat services like pump outs, water points, rubbish bins (That CRT want to cut by 40%) cafes, diesel sales, boat painters etc etc etc....

This plan could be used I'm sure throughout the network..........     

In real business when markets open up & take off you try to get ahead & serve the growth but CRT seem to be running from it?

As I type CRT are on the BBC news telling new boaters not to buy boats as they have too many on the system????????  WTF

Tell you what look at France & Holland & get a grip.....

I can read perfectly well thank you, and as usual you haven't answered the question asked.

The Notices are on the Thames, therefore nothing to do with CaRT, but you are, as usual, using them to complain about CaRT. 

Who owns the land at Southcote? Do they want to build a marina there? Would they get Planning Permission for one? Are there facilities for said moorings? Would boaters want to be there?

What has France or Holland got to do with the UK? 

Perhaps it is you that needs to "get a grip".

10 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

Compulsory purchase order. urgent need for affordable housing. long term yes Thames & Kennett  marina charged me £750.00+ per month for my 60ftX12ft 2 years ago.

The cost of piling an area & running services on unused low laying farm land can't be that much due to flooding issues (that would not effect boats).

What happened to the can do people that built our canals? all I can see is backward looking old gits trying to avoid the real world issues... so sad....  

Maybe if you didn't have 8 boat you wouldn't have such a hard time finding moorings for them.

I was under the impression that the K&A was the heartland of the 'baton twirlers & anti paying for moorings' brigade, so would (to be paid for) moorings achieve anything ?

21 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

Or they could ask "Do we need to pay our top brass SO MUCH MONEY" & could that money be better spent in buying land to make more moorings that will bring in LONG TERM PROFIT for CRT so we don't have to keep jacking up the boat licences for the boaters (The people that already pay the biggest amount)  

Can I ask Has the privatisation of British rail been a good thing for the customers or a bad thing? I can ask the same of gas, water, electric, post, housing etc etc 

Not relevant, but does show that you have a political bias to your rants. 

Network Rail/British Rail has NO relevance to this discussion; "get a grip" as you seem to commonly say.

16 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

CPO's are very expensive, and can take years to action.

What has "affordable housing" got to do with boating. If you own a "fat boat" then you have to pay for it; you chose it and could have bought something smaller if it was too expensive.

I suggest you do some research on development in areas subject to flooding risks. They aren't cheap.

They died, over a hundred years ago.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

CPO's are very expensive, and can take years to action.

And I don't think CRT actually have the legal powers to acquire land compulsorily. And any authority which does exercise CPO powers has to show that there is an overall public benefit of the scheme to justify forcibly depriving the landowner of their land and property. (Which isn't to say that everyone will agree there is a public benefit in a particular case, but it does require the acquiring authority to set out their case.)

2 hours ago, Nige123 said:

Or they could ask "Do we need to pay our top brass SO MUCH MONEY"

Does anyone know the CEO's current salary and is it much different to the £255,000 that is the average for the top 100 charities.

Of course CRT isn't a charity, it is a business where the status is charitable.

15 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Does anyone know the CEO's current salary and is it much different to the £255,000 that is the average for the top 100 charities.

Of course CRT isn't a charity, it is a business where the status is charitable.

Well you don't buy land and get much of a marina for £250,000 - but there are 15 moorings and one mile of bank side up for sale on the Rochdale canal for £250,000 - wouldn't be much use tho' to those K&A boaters who cannot move because "Cub needs to go to school, his mates are here, and of course his rope-swing is in that tree". 

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well you don't buy land and get much of a marina for £250,000 - but the are 15 moorings and one mile of bank side up for sale on the Rochdale canal for £250,000 - wouldn't be much use tho' to those K&A boaters who cannot move because 'Cub needs to go to school'. 

As I thought the suggestion of reducing pay was more of an "i don't like people who earn a lot and/or I want to get at CRT" rather than a sensible answer to the problem.

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

As I thought the suggestion of reducing pay was more of an "i don't like people who earn a lot and/or I want to get at CRT" rather than a sensible answer to the problem.

You may well be correct - but as he pointed out earlier - he has 8 boats and expects there to be moorings available wherever and whenever he wants them - if C&RT (or the EA) built more marinas / moorings then they could force the liveaboards into them, freeing up space for him and his boats.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You may well be correct - but as he pointed out earlier - he has 8 boats and expects there to be moorings available wherever and whenever he wants them - if C&RT (or the EA) built more marinas / moorings then they could force the liveaboards into them, freeing up space for him and his boats.

Hmmmm some people would call that selfish.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes - he is a bit 'crabby', but he could buy an 'oyster' card 'mussel' in the spaces between other boats, and then stick to the mooring like a 'limpet'

Oooooops - sorry thought you said he was a shellfish

LOL

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes - he is a bit 'crabby', but he could buy an 'oyster' card 'mussel' in the spaces between other boats, and then stick to the mooring like a 'limpet'

Oooooops - sorry thought you said he was a shellfish

Yes, the world is his lobster.

3 hours ago, Nige123 said:

I remember the outcry when BWB went into the marina business. unfair advantage and lots of other calls. I take it you are prepared to pay £3000 a year to moor in one of these new moorings.

On 16/08/2017 at 13:02, Nige123 said:

Ok to spell it out CRT should know that boat numbers are increasing & should be working on ways to make more moorings available, especially for live aboard boats as this is going to be the biggest area of growth. instead they have forced the poorer older boats off the CRT canals & onto the Thames over the last couple of years making the problem EA's problem that EA are now using a hammer to crack a nut with.       

Our marina is still over half empty and there is a new one being built within quarter of a mile of it.

On 16/08/2017 at 13:02, Nige123 said:

Ok to spell it out CRT should know that boat numbers are increasing & should be working on ways to make more moorings available, especially for live aboard boats as this is going to be the biggest area of growth. instead they have forced the poorer older boats off the CRT canals & onto the Thames over the last couple of years making the problem EA's problem that EA are now using a hammer to crack a nut with.       

Our marina is still over half empty and there is a new one being built within quarter of a mile of it.

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I remember the outcry when BWB went into the marina business. unfair advantage and lots of other calls. I take it you are prepared to pay £3000 a year to moor in one of these new moorings.

C'mon Brian...

Lowestoft is nowhere near the K&A!   But it does have (maybe did have?) one of the best KFC's I have ever been in, shame I went West instead of staying in East Anglia, many happy memories of Lowestoft :D

I wonder if the 'poorer boaters' would be able to raise the needed funds to move their 'affordable housing' to a CRT marina that charged commercial (residential) rates anywhere near, let even on, the Thames (or even anywhere near Bath / Bristol / Reading etc. ) I certainly can't justify the expense of a mooring closer to home, but then I'm not exactly a liveaboard  - let alone one who considers the South East as a 'must be' region.

31 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Extract from C&RTs Review of moorings and private mooring operators offerings :

Challenges to Pricing Decisions We have made the pricing recommendations below based on a thorough review of auction results and local knowledge.  It is our policy, set at Board level, to set prices which reflect market rates and to compete fairly with private operators.  The Trust has neither powers nor duty to provide subsidised moorings

25 minutes ago, Nige123 said:

Sorry I think I have been trying to talk sense to Trump type voters....

I can't wait until the signs come to a mooring near you & they will.....

As they only appear to be at either long term moorings or trouble spots owned by people other than CRT I suspect most ordinary boaters will have no problem at all.

1 hour ago, Nige123 said:

And the only people who will have a problem with them will be the pish takers, not the ordinary boaters who are happy to abide by the rules.

In fact, the very reason these signs have been put up. Still that doesn't fit into your agenda, does it?

On 17/08/2017 at 22:49, Nige123 said:

I'd welcome them appearing on my mooring.