Approaching Wigan

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

If you moor outside the old CRT offices , yes the gate is locked now but it's extremely easy to step around the end of the fence. Even my cautious wife finds it no problem. 

The tap is handy too.

Lots of folk moor opposite, below Henhurst Lock with no problems.

Ditto. How are you Peter?

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Peter-Bullfinch said:

If you moor outside the old CRT offices , yes the gate is locked now but it's extremely easy to step around the end of the fence. Even my cautious wife finds it no problem. 

The tap is handy too.

Lots of folk moor opposite, below Henhurst Lock with no problems.

... and then walk a few hundred yards to Wigan Central!

We always consider it our treat for doing Wigan flight :)

On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 22:55, jonathanA said:

We tend to moor just after pool stock locks at cable junction just around the corner from the start of the flight proper, never had a problem for an overnight stop. Then move up to under the railway bridge and wait to share the locks with another boat (hoping it's not a single hander :D )

I waited under the railway bridge for 3 hours a few years back and when no boats appeared decided to singlehand the flight.  I was quite chuffed to  get to the top in slightly fewer hours (6 1/2) than my age in decades.   As the OP (Arthur) is I think about the same age as I was then, I'm sure he could do the same.  The reactions to your comments about singlehanders are quite justified.  Even now, 6 years later, I reckon I could pair another boat through locks at least as fast as a crewed boat - no need to open both gates either entering or leaving, for a start.

• Greenie 1

We came up the flight a few weeks ago and moored in the pool just below the first lock.  We were a bit dubious about the location, but had no problems on a midweek night. As a previous poster has said, there is a large factory/offices on the opposite bank which seem to work 24/7.  Whilst the lights are quite bright, I think this helps make it a safer place.

54 minutes ago, Nick D said:

We came up the flight a few weeks ago and moored in the pool just below the first lock.  We were a bit dubious about the location, but had no problems on a midweek night. As a previous poster has said, there is a large factory/offices on the opposite bank which seem to work 24/7.  Whilst the lights are quite bright, I think this helps make it a safer place.

I moored there and it was fine

On 18/09/2017 at 12:13, Mac of Cygnet said:

I waited under the railway bridge for 3 hours a few years back and when no boats appeared decided to singlehand the flight.  I was quite chuffed to  get to the top in slightly fewer hours (6 1/2) than my age in decades.   As the OP (Arthur) is I think about the same age as I was then, I'm sure he could do the same.  The reactions to your comments about singlehanders are quite justified.  Even now, 6 years later, I reckon I could pair another boat through locks at least as fast as a crewed boat - no need to open both gates either entering or leaving, for a start.

Ok well my comment was meant in jest hence the smiley and I didn't intend to cause offence.

A bit of context - my wife has mobility issues and suffers from arthritis in just about every joint, she can helm in locks but in reality, this means I'm virtually a single hander myself ! 

That said your post above is nonsense if your a paired boat how will you only be able to open one gate ? I reckon your talking bollix if you think a single hander could do the Wigan flight as fast or faster than a crewed boat.. (assuming a reasonable level of competence all round)

Just to add  swmbo and I have done Wigan on our own and shared up and down several times and more recently than 6 years ago so think I've a fair idea.....

11 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Ok well my comment was meant in jest hence the smiley and I didn't intend to cause offence.

A bit of context - my wife has mobility issues and suffers from arthritis in just about every joint, she can helm in locks but in reality, this means I'm virtually a single hander myself ! 

That said your post above is nonsense if your a paired boat how will you only be able to open one gate ? I reckon your talking bollix if you think a single hander could do the Wigan flight as fast or faster than a crewed boat.. (assuming a reasonable level of competence all round)

Just to add  swmbo and I have done Wigan on our own and shared up and down several times and more recently than 6 years ago so think I've a fair idea.....

I didn't say that a singlehander could do the flight faster than a crewed boat.  I said that I, as a singlehander, could pair another boat up as fast as a crewed boat could. As for only opening one gate, it's not bollix at all - I've done it many times.  The first boat in, or the second out simply goes across to the other side of the lock.  It's easier with a short boat like mine, of course, but I've seen it done by longer boats.

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I didn't say that a singlehander could do the flight faster than a crewed boat.  I said that I, as a singlehander, could pair another boat up as fast as a crewed boat could. As for only opening one gate, it's not bollix at all - I've done it many times.  The first boat in, or the second out simply goes across to the other side of the lock.  It's easier with a short boat like mine, of course, but I've seen it done by longer boats.

Exactly. Boat in, hop off or up the ladder, work one side and exit. Once the process is established with the other boat's crew it should be a very efficient operation.

Of course one of the problems with opening just one gate is the damage caused to the mitres which is why most double locks leak at the bottom gates. I realise nobody here would ever touch the mitre but lesser boaters nearly always do. I also realise this practice will never change so maybe CaRT need to consider replacement mitre insets.

Edited by Midnight
speeling

12 hours ago, rgreg said:

Exactly. Boat in, hop off or up the ladder, work one side and exit. Once the process is established with the other boat's crew it should be a very efficient operation.

Yes faffing about up and down ladders and trying to manoeuvre boats from one side of the lock t'other I can see how that must so efficient  :unsure:  I'm not really sure what point your trying to make and I'm not sure I care 

actually I'm sure I don't care (sorry about that)

9 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Yes faffing about up and down ladders and trying to manoeuvre boats from one side of the lock t'other I can see how that must so efficient  :unsure:  I'm not really sure what point your trying to make and I'm not sure I care 

No faffing about if you know what you're doing. No need for you to apologise, just feel free to pass on by if I'm ever single-handing doubles when you're about. 

9 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Thanks for the warning.  We'll just keep out of your way, then.