Approaching Wigan

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

I like to stay at the big flash on the right hand side approaching Wigan (Maybe Horrocks flash according to Google but I think it's called something Moss in Nics guide - can't check as mine's on the boat 200 miles away) - it's a bit shallow so you may need to use a pole to find a suitable spot. Dover 'lock' if you want a pub.

Edited to add I have it as Ince Moss?
large.ince-moss-2.jpg.a1d6369b904db8978fb52f4f39ae15a3.jpg

Edited by Midnight

Immediately before the Wigan flight would be above the two Poolstock locks, which is where our boat was vandalised a few years back. I believe that pound is often emptied overnight by ne'er-do-wells too. So I suggest you hang back a bit and put up with doing the two extra locks in the morning! I can't particularly picture any nice mooring spots in the area though - sorry.

Wigan was a bit of a no-go area, except for the locked moorings outside the CaRT office (now relocated), but in the last couple of years it appears to have become better and boats now often moor in Wigan. I suspect above Poolstock is still a bit dodgy, though there is a new housing development almost complete on the wasteland which might help in the near future. I reckon go up Poolstock then turn left and drop down the first lock into Wigan to moor then turn and go back up the lock when you are ready to do the Wigan flight. Depending upon the length of your boat you might need to drop down the second lock to wind.

Otherwise the Flash should be ok, but to be even safer stop at Dover Bridge (crap pub) and make an early start, about 40 mins from there to Poolstock.

Better still just keep going into Liverpool.

..............Dave

We always end up getting to plank lane after hours and get going as soon as the bridge opens the following morning.  From there to the top of the flight is a straightforward days cruising.  Plank lane is a safe place to moor and we like it as there's some good dog walks and facilities nearby.  

We tend to moor just after pool stock locks at cable junction just around the corner from the start of the flight proper, never had a problem for an overnight stop. Then move up to under the railway bridge and wait to share the locks with another boat (hoping it's not a single hander :D )

10 hours ago, Neil2 said:

We always end up getting to plank lane after hours and get going as soon as the bridge opens the following morning.  From there to the top of the flight is a straightforward days cruising.  Plank lane is a safe place to moor and we like it as there's some good dog walks and facilities nearby.  

I believe the Plank Lane Bridge is self operation now.

....and has just been redone so now its just "press and hold the open button" (no computer screen), before there was a sequence of "release button,  push again to confirm bridge is clear" etc and this caused big problems as on a sunny day it was almost impossible to see the instructions on the screen.

............Dave

Last year, I turned right off the Leigh branch and moored there, about 50 yards from the first lock. It was very peaceful, no problems.

Just be aware that there is a new building on the opposite side and they worked 24 hours, as the light faded, this factory was lit up with bright floodlights, not good for darkness in the boat, but good that there is plenty of light outside.

Kevin

12 hours ago, jonathanA said:

We tend to moor just after pool stock locks at cable junction just around the corner from the start of the flight proper, never had a problem for an overnight stop. Then move up to under the railway bridge and wait to share the locks with another boat (hoping it's not a single hander :D )

Breast up with him and tell him he's getting some exercise today! :-)

George

14 hours ago, jonathanA said:

We tend to moor just after pool stock locks at cable junction just around the corner from the start of the flight proper, never had a problem for an overnight stop.

This is what I would do, but wouldn't be bothered if or who I shared with.

18 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

Have moored at Dover Lock with no problems

Tim

We found the total absence of real ale in the pub to be a bit of a problem.

................Dave

2 hours ago, furnessvale said:

Breast up with him and tell him he's getting some exercise today! :-)

George

I've tried that on the Wigan 21 before and it's more hassle than it's worth as sometimes both gates didn't open fully enough. When single-handed and accompanying another boat in a double lock I do pretty much the same as the other boat's crew member, working one side myself and using the ladders as I would if on my own. I would never expect to just stay on the boat and let someone else do all the work.

16 hours ago, jonathanA said:

Go on then, tell us why you hope it's not a single-hander 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Last summer,late summer we moored adjacent to the old Waterways office. Water tap and gated with CRT padlock. No problems. We have also moored on the tow path side without incident a number of times.

It is no longer a CRT padlock so if you moor there you are locked in. That was fine for us.

16 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Last summer,late summer we moored adjacent to the old Waterways office. Water tap and gated with CRT padlock. No problems. We have also moored on the tow path side without incident a number of times.

Those moorings are fine but not great if you're coming up the Leigh branch and going up Wigan, as you have to come through Henhurst lock twice to get to them. Henhurst is very slow filling and if you need to get to the ff side of the lock is a long walk round.

Well we did it in 6 hours! Not too bad except that it's not really possible to take a break when you know that there's a deadline after which you risk being locked in. 

Peter, the volunteer was there and helped us up the last few, which was very welcome. Big heavy gates, some of which are pretty hard to shift. The paddles were all fairly easy.

Peter did say that they are finding boaters smashing off the padlocks and going up and down outside hours ...........

ref moorings at the bottom: We felt we might need every minute so moored just before the Junction. When we rounded it this morning we found a row of rings on the left just before the first lock. I think we'd have gone there if we'd known. A rainy night so felt fairly safe.

IMG_1337.JPG