Engine Oil

Featured Posts

The previous owner of my boat had it from new and was meticulous, money was not an object.  He left me volumes of instructions for everything plus loads of extras & odds and ends including enough oil to do the last service.  He used Morris Servol Performance Plus 15w-40 Premium Engine Oil, which I have no problem buying, but will I be paying over the top when there may be something else which is more than adequate? My engine is a Nanni Kubota 4.2 and uses the same oil for engine & gearbox.

This is the same oil I use and will change 4 times a year. All I know is that if I use a cheaper oil, I use maybe 1 litre between oil changes, whereas with the Morriss It burns none. For the sake of about £30 per annum (£7.50 per oil change) on original cost, deduct the 4 litres burnt so reducing to £18 per annum, why look to go cheap? Also, if the oil is not burning, them I reason it probably does a better job. Engine oil is an important contributor to engine cooling besides lubrication.