Sutton stop at a stop!!

pete23

Featured Posts

9 hours ago, Peter X said:

The size of Wales is well established as a unit of area, but here we're talking volume. You could however use it if you can find a figure for the volume of Wales

Pretty loud, what with all that close harmony singing going on.

• Greenie 3

On 17/07/2017 at 23:55, Peter X said:

The size of Wales is well established as a unit of area, but here we're talking volume.

Nit-picker. 

I'd like it to expressed in multiples of the distance to the moon please.

Integrate it twice if you must :P

On 18/07/2017 at 10:03, Athy said:

In parts of the North that would be interpreted as an expression of approval or admiration.

You've been listening to too many of them amusing programmes on that newfangled wireless of yours again...

29 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nit-picker. 

I'd like it to expressed in multiples of the distance to the moon please.

Integrate it twice if you must :P

I'll do my best for you. If we imagine the moon directly overhead above say Merthyr Tydfil (it never is due to latitude but bear with me), and a prism with a Wales-shaped cross section reaching up to it, that has a volume of roughly 4 billion cubic kilometres. Should the Wales to Moon Prism catch on as a (rather large) unit of measurement, someone at that institute in Paris which decides these things will need to repeat my calculation using more exact figures, and a more realistic angle above the horizon for the moon. 30 degrees would be a handy choice because then the volume can simply be divided by 2.

The volume of water held back by the top gate at Sutton Stop, while lacking a catchy name, is an easier size to work with, being roughly a Wales to Moon Prism divided by 10 to the power 14. Or about 12 Olympic swimming pools.

2 hours ago, Peter X said:

I'll do my best for you. If we imagine the moon directly overhead above say Merthyr Tydfil (it never is due to latitude but bear with me), and a prism with a Wales-shaped cross section reaching up to it, that has a volume of roughly 4 billion cubic kilometres. Should the Wales to Moon Prism catch on as a (rather large) unit of measurement, someone at that institute in Paris which decides these things will need to repeat my calculation using more exact figures, and a more realistic angle above the horizon for the moon. 30 degrees would be a handy choice because then the volume can simply be divided by 2.

The volume of water held back by the top gate at Sutton Stop, while lacking a catchy name, is an easier size to work with, being roughly a Wales to Moon Prism divided by 10 to the power 14. Or about 12 Olympic swimming pools.

ish

Cheers

David

3 hours ago, Peter X said:

If the moon was directly over Merthyr, they would all be out either trying to catch it in a net or throwing stones at it!

So, is Sutton Deep open to traffic again yet?

Did the gate fail because of vandal damage/ boat impact/ wear, tear & rot? From memory the gates are metal ones so the last is unlikely.

11 minutes ago, Athy said:

Did the gate fail because of vandal damage/ boat impact/ wear, tear & rot? From memory the gates are metal ones so the last is unlikely.

The last stoppage notice I saw said "until further notice" pending draining the lock and inspecting the damage caused by vandalism.

31 minutes ago, Athy said:

Sutton Stop!

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Sutton stop is hardly deep, Somerton Deep however is a different story. so is it Sutton or Deep you are referring to.

It was what some people might call a "joke".

Sutton Stop has a 6" fall.

So yes, I called it "Sutton Deep" because it's....not deep at all. I am sure most people realised that.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, it has.

Your point being...?

Virtual green thing!

1 hour ago, Athy said:

It was what some people might call a "joke".

Sutton Stop has a 6" fall.

So yes, I called it "Sutton Deep" because it's....not deep at all. I am sure most people realised that.

You could see it flying over the heads.....

As I remember it, and someone will correct me if I've got this wrong, Somerton Deep is wrongly described as only 12 feet in some guides, but is really 19 feet deep and the second deepest lock on the system after Tuel Lane at Sowerby Bridge?

23 minutes ago, Peter X said:

As I remember it, and someone will correct me if I've got this wrong, Somerton Deep is wrongly described as only 12 feet in some guides, but is really 19 feet deep and the second deepest lock on the system after Tuel Lane at Sowerby Bridge?

Having done Somerton deep, and the Marple flight, not that long ago, I'd say that the Marple ones are a lot deeper.

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

But how are you measuring, from the top surface to the base or from the highest normal water level to the lowest? Someone mentioned the one on the Ashton flight

From the scare factor. I've never found Somerton scary. But going down Marple top lock, and going down, and going down more, and surely it's stopped now - no, still going down, I actually found it intimidatingly scary. But perhaps I was just having a wuss day!

On 17/07/2017 at 16:32, Scholar Gypsy said:

I think I would be tempted to take the lock out of use, ie just remove the broken lock gate and lock the other one in the open position. As noted above the fall is pretty small and so it wouldn't cause too many problems to equalise the levels for a few weeks ??

I was going to say the same. It's not unheard of for stoplocks of a similar fall to be opened through.

Daniel

9 hours ago, Peter X said:

I don't believe that's true. To the best of my knowledge Somerton has a 12' fall.

Bath deep lock is usually quoted as the second biggest fall on the network. Like Tuel Lane it's the product of a road building scheme that combined two original locks into one.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

8 hours ago, Peter X said:

Perhaps the figure of 12 feet refers to the fall, rather than to the actual depth which will of course be several feet greater.