Narrow boat sinks

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, hounddog said:

I've corrected this for you. 

You have presumably contributed to the crowd fund in order to help this poor lady get her boat back, and you approve of her continuing to illegally renting it out under the radar. Yes?

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

Nothing to say as others have said it already, Her income is on the bottom and I suspect not many on here will be donating to help her raise it. It could have been worse the boater could have drowned, let it be a lesson to others is all I can say

Given that 1. people don't just give away money on crowdfunder at random 2. she has been given £4,000 already and 3. analworld is quite ready to rush to judgement without facts perhaps there is more to the story than we know. 

Edited by hounddog

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Thank you - I would not have known as I have him on 'ignore'.

He has never forgiven me for pointing out the 'error of his ways' in front of his gang of 'mates' and making him took a real fool (a long time ago) but now he just wants revenge and hence I have a stalker.

At least he is giving someone else a rest.

Your fantasy is amusing, if a little disgusting. 

2 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Bless.

So you believe people look at crowdfunder and say 'yes, i've got spare money, do have some' as if by some form of hypnosis? Do you do it often?

If i recall rightly, and of course I may not, you can stick a figure on a crowdfunding site but you don't pay it straight away.  I's just an indication that you will if the product or whatever becomes available.  I strongly suspect that many people put a figure down but then renege on it.

40 minutes ago, hounddog said:

she has been given £4,000 already

That's incorrect. No money is given to crowdfunding until the accumulated pledges reach the stated target amount. Even then there's no obligation on the 'pledgers' to actually front up the funds. 

20 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If i recall rightly, and of course I may not, you can stick a figure on a crowdfunding site but you don't pay it straight away.  I's just an indication that you will if the product or whatever becomes available.  I strongly suspect that many people put a figure down but then renege on it.

That is correct. 

Be interesting to know the boat rental website that put she and her tenant together and how much advice was offered to both parties prior to the agreement.

2 minutes ago, Boaty Jo said:

Be interesting to know the boat rental website that put she and her tenant together and how much advice was offered to both parties prior to the agreement.

I think Airbnb was mentioned somewhere 

Is her advert still there on Air BnB...??!!

was there a website then?

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is her advert still there on Air BnB...??!!

I did see screen grabs re. airbnb on facebook.  However, there's no usable search function on there so it would take me hours to find them now.

Though no longer on airbnb google still has it partially indexed "We had an absolutely fabulous time aboard Sally Cinnamon! Dawn and Bill were the perfect hosts, making us feel really welcome, nothing was too much trouble for them. The boat is beautiful and had everything we..." 

So it would seem it's not the first time she'd rented it out.

Edited by bill brown

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

She is / was quite active on 'hippy UK forum' saying that she was trying to pay off the loan on the boat so they could do more travelling.

Is "hippy uk" one of your regulars Alan? :)

I've read all the posts. Whatever the rights and wrongs, I am puzzled that the boat would sink by leaving the weed hatch off.  Yes, the engine compartment would flood - but enough to drop the stern so that water poured over the bulkhead into the body proper. And even if it did, is it something that could pass unnoticed  to a point that remedial action could not be taken?  

21 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

I've read all the posts. Whatever the rights and wrongs, I am puzzled that the boat would sink by leaving the weed hatch off.  Yes, the engine compartment would flood - but enough to drop the stern so that water poured over the bulkhead into the body proper. And even if it did, is it something that could pass unnoticed  to a point that remedial action could not be taken?  

You'd think (and hope) so, wouldn't you Horace. Sadly, it seems your logic is easily, and all too frequently, defeated. :(

It isn't helped if you don't know what could happen or what to do when it does. Briefing the hirer/purchaser on the danger posed by the weed hatch would be a start though.

Just to save data for anyone without home internet, here is the text from the article in the newspaper.

A NARROWBOAT sunk in the Leeds and Liverpool Canal has been recovered.

Dawn Samples was left homeless after she discovered her Riley Green moored canal barge, affectionately named 'Sally Cinnamon', had sunk to the bottom of the waterway.

Friends of the 32-year-old, who was unable to afford to pay to lift the barge from the canal bed, set up a £30,000 Crowdfunding page.

But as the narrowboat was causing a 'hazard' to other canal uses the Canal and Rivers Trust stepped in.

Yesterday, the fundraising total stood at £4,850. 

A spokesperson from the Canal & River Trust said: “We have worked with the owner to recover the boat.

"She has covered the cost of that operation and the boat is now safely moored in a marina close by.

"The owner only had insurance and a boating licence to cover private use of her boat.

"As soon as she decided to rent out her boat, this became a commercial operation requiring a different level of insurance and a business boating licence.”

Speaking shortly after discovering the boat had sank, Ms Samples who now plans to temporarily move in with her partner on a nearby narrowboat, said: "I couldn't believe it.

"I was expecting to find it back at the marina with a bit of water in it, but she was totally underwater.

"Everyone has been amazing, the people who own the marina have been working 14 hour days to help me."

It was while Ms Samples attempted to raise the sunken barge that she discovered the weed hatch had been mistakenly left open, which had allowed water to flood into the engine.

Ms Samples had temporary third-party insurance while some welding was being completed on the boat. This will not cover the cost of recovering the barge.

Edited by AllanC
reworded for clarity

1 minute ago, Murflynn said:

so she actually had no insurance whatsoever at the time of the incident.  

it begs the question - how did she have a licence (of any  type) in the first place if the boat was uninsured? 

??

She had third party insurance. 

Okay, so she invalidated that by letting the boat, but CaRT didn't know she was letting it at the time, hence issued her a license.