Narrow boat sinks

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

Just now, croftie said:

Not being a NB owner can you not open the weed hatch when on the water without sinking the boat?

Yes, that's why it is there, to give access to clear a fouled propeller. You must put it back before running the engine

Richard

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Yes, that's why it is there, to give access to clear a fouled propeller. You must put it back before running the engine

Richard

Ahhh got it, the hatch had been opened for some reason, left open, water "splashed" in until there was so much sloshing about it lowered the boat in the water to the point that the open hatch top was below water level then the enevitable happened.

Just now, croftie said:

Ahhh got it, the hatch had been opened for some reason, left open, water "splashed" in until there was so much sloshing about it lowered the boat in the water to the point that the open hatch top was below water level then the enevitable happened.

Spot on.

A little while ago there was the case of a hire boat stolen and deliberately sunk on the Soar, That was sunk by removing the weedhatch and running the engine

Richard

5 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

It seems to me that the person directly responsible for the sinking was he or she who did not seal the weed hatch. The rights and wrongs of the renting-out will merely determine who pays.

It seems the "crowd" is expected to pay in this particular case!

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

But is it her home if she was renting it out?

the acid test is - 'is she homeless?'

as she habitually lives on her partner's boat the answer has to be - 'not really'.

I'll bet if she got a tenant who wanted to live on the boat permanently, paying appropriate money, she would have accepted, and still not have bothered with compliance with the formalities (assuming that she has not done so - which seems to be the case).  It is hard to believe that someone who has renovated a wreck has not also become familiar with BSS and insurance requirements. 

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I have no sympathy - it is boaters  (I use the term loosely) like me  that moan about boaters like this that cause many of the problems and generate 'rules' & 'T&Cs' that impact on others.

I've corrected this for you. 

11 minutes ago, hounddog said:

I've corrected this for you. 

Lump me in with Alan then. It is selfish, greedy, inconsiderate boaters like her, breaking the law and expecting others to pick up after her that cause many of the problems and generate 'rules' and 'T&Cs' that impact on others who follow the rules themselves. 

• Greenie 4

I agree that renting your boat out to a complete stranger, particularly one who may not know much about boats, is perhaps unwise. However, we do not know that she did not have rental insurance, we do not know that the boat did not have a BSS certificate which met the higher standards require for hiring, and we do not know whether the boat had a hireboat licence. Until those factors are clarified, are not some of the above comments just a bit presumptive and self righteous?

Edited to clarify:- See my later post which acknowledges not seeing this on my first reading of the article

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

I debated this one on facebook a while back.  The more I found out, the more cross I got.  It seems the owner used to rent it on air b'n'b but more recently had it on a long term rental, so clearly not her home.

She's a landlady, and with that comes certain responsibilities.  When news breaks of tenants of poor housing ending up dead due to the negligence of the landlord (including Grenfell), the response is always the same and usually includes cries to lock up the landlord.

How is this any different?  The evidence is that the occupant was a pretty vulnerable and isolated individual, possibly suffering from depression, alcohol abuse.  He lost his home and is lucky he wasn't drowned.  And we're supposed to pity the greedy owner, and shower her with money.

As far as I know, hell isn't freezing over quite yet.

4 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I agree that renting your boat out to a complete stranger, particularly one who may not know much about boats, is perhaps unwise. However, we do not know that she did not have rental insurance, we do not know that the boat did not have a BSS certificate which met the higher standards require for hiring, and we do not know whether the boat had a hireboat licence. Until those factors are clarified, are not some of the above comments just a bit presumptive and self righteous?

We do know that she only had third party cover. It's not a huge jump to then conclude that the other presumptions are correct. 

4 minutes ago, AllanC said:

But we do know that she only had third party insurance while waiting for welding to be done on the boat. At least that is what was stated in the article.

Yes, I have found it on the third reading. Our internet is on a stop/go slow at the moment, and the page jumps about so much as more advertising is loaded, it is difficult to follow the text. I clearly missed it the first couple of times.

Nothing to say as others have said it already, Her income is on the bottom and I suspect not many on here will be donating to help her raise it. It could have been worse the boater could have drowned, let it be a lesson to others is all I can say

13 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If your going to"correct" someone elses post, perhaps it would be a good idea to highlight what you have altered. 

From this...

I have no sympathy - it is boaters (I use the term loosely) like this that cause many of the problems and generate 'rules' & 'T&Cs' that impact on others

To this...

I have no sympathy - it is boaters  (I use the term loosely) like me  that moan about boaters like this that cause many of the problems and generate 'rules' & 'T&Cs' that impact on others.

So if we do not voice our views on such matters, CRT will not hear us, think everything is ok and let people take the piss for ever more i think is what he is saying?

Other members seem to be party to more information than related in the press story.  Dave P's account above paints an entirely different picture.

I notice the crowdfund target is £30k. If she's just a hustler and this really is a brazen attempt to rescue a cynical project to exploit vulnerable persons whilst ignoring rules and regulations, then the truth will come out well before the funds get anywhere near that figure.  

I don't do Facebook so I don't know - is it really as black and white as Dave says?

2 minutes ago, Dave Payne said:

From this...

I have no sympathy - it is boaters (I use the term loosely) like this that cause many of the problems and generate 'rules' & 'T&Cs' that impact on others

To this...

So if we do not voice our views on such matters, CRT will not hear us, think everything is ok and let people take the piss for ever more i think is what he is saying?

Ah, yes. I think my point was, that unless you can see them side by side or the altered text is highlighted /stricken through its difficult to see whats altered(maybe just a problem on my small phone) 

19 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

If your going to"correct" someone elses post, perhaps it would be a good idea to highlight what you have altered. 

Thank you - I would not have known as I have him on 'ignore'.

He has never forgiven me for pointing out the 'error of his ways' in front of his gang of 'mates' and making him took a real fool (a long time ago) but now he just wants revenge and hence I have a stalker.

At least he is giving someone else a rest.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

He has never forgiven me for pointing out the 'error of his ways' in front of his gang of 'mates' and making him took a real fool (a long time ago) but now he just wants revenge and hence I have a stalker.

Well, I guess someone who sinks their boat has some things to learn, but perhaps doesn't like having them pointed out:)