Leaving the Boat on the Soar

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

I'm about to set off up the Soar, but will want to leave the boat for a few days as I nip back (!) to Scotland.  Obviously it would be silly to leave it on the river, so somewhere round Loughborough with good public transport would probably be best. Grateful for any pointers from locals (and others).  Thanks.

Pillings Lock Marina is just south of Loughborough and a 10 minute cab ride to the train station. Sure they could accommodate you. 

Your other option is Raynsway Marina just north of Leicester, easy bus ride to Leicester train station.

All the other marinas on that section are on the river which is prone to flooding (the Soar goes up and down like a yo-yo) so to that end I would strongly advise against leaving your boat on the towpath of the river.

If neither of the two options above are viable for you then the only other place I would recommend is Sileby Mill. There is a train station in Sileby and although on the river, the moorings can cope with the rise and fall of the river.

The general moorings in Loughborough,  South of the junction,  are pretty safe usually,  as are the Barrow-upon-soar moorings above the lock. Both within an easy walk of train stations. Pillings would be a safe bet of course, but not as easy except by taxi, and you need to want to give them money.

4 hours ago, Ally said:

The general moorings in Loughborough,  South of the junction,  are pretty safe usually,  as are the Barrow-upon-soar moorings above the lock. Both within an easy walk of train stations. Pillings would be a safe bet of course, but not as easy except by taxi, and you need to want to give them money.

You have me sussed, Ally!

BTW I'm now at Zouch, but how do you pronounce it?  Does it rhyme with "Ouch!" or with hooch?

24 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

BTW I'm now at Zouch, but how do you pronounce it?  Does it rhyme with "Ouch!" or with hooch?

I've always assumed it's the same as the latter part of Ashby-de-la... Zouch pronounced zoosh 

In Loughborough the bollards outside the now defunct Albion are safe. There are three rings the Leicester side of the junction but boats are a bit vulnerable to being hit by boats making a pigs ear of the turn. Otherwise Barrow if fine above the lock and Sileby Mill have visitor moorings and check boats if the river floods.

If you decide to moor in Loughborough I would be happy to check the boat whilst you are away. Just PM me.

14 hours ago, Richard T said:

In Loughborough the bollards outside the now defunct Albion are safe. There are three rings the Leicester side of the junction but boats are a bit vulnerable to being hit by boats making a pigs ear of the turn. Otherwise Barrow if fine above the lock and Sileby Mill have visitor moorings and check boats if the river floods.

If you decide to moor in Loughborough I would be happy to check the boat whilst you are away. Just PM me.

Thank you Richard. Where's the 'defunct Albion?  I'm having trouble sending PMs at the moment, but I can reply to them.  Grateful if you could send me one.

The Albion is the first pub you come to as you arrive in Loughborough, just before the 90 degree lefthand turn that takes you under the bridge - (straight on would take you to the basin).

As Richard has said the moorings there are fine, I would certainly have no problem in leaving my boat there.

Edited by Chris Davidson