Volockies

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

So, I set off at 08.30 this morning to descend the Marple flight single-handed expecting a steady and solitary descent. I was very surprised to be greeted at that time of the morning by three cheerful v-lockies who asked if I would like their help, to which I was happy to accept (when single-handing I neither expect nor rely on any help). I was accompanied all the way down the flight of 16 by a friendly retired policeman called Jack, who is in his 70s, and we enjoyed a good natter all the way down. As much as I enjoy doing locks alone it was a pleasure to spend a few hours in his company.

I take my hat off to people like Jack and his friends who do it just for the fun of it and I think make a great contribution to the waterways, expecting nothing in return. I've not met a v-locky yet who has been a problem, but then I'm always friendly and welcoming towards them which gets us off to the right start. Dangerous or inappropriate operation from them is, of course, unacceptable but I've yet to witness it.

Well said.  Totally agree.

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

So, I set off at 08.30 this morning to descend the Marple flight single-handed expecting a steady and solitary descent. I was very surprised to be greeted at that time of the morning by three cheerful v-lockies who asked if I would like their help, to which I was happy to accept (when single-handing I neither expect nor rely on any help). I was accompanied all the way down the flight of 16 by a friendly retired policeman called Jack, who is in his 70s, and we enjoyed a good natter all the way down. As much as I enjoy doing locks alone it was a pleasure to spend a few hours in his company.

I take my hat off to people like Jack and his friends who do it just for the fun of it and I think make a great contribution to the waterways, expecting nothing in return. I've not met a v-locky yet who has been a problem, but then I'm always friendly and welcoming towards them which gets us off to the right start. Dangerous or inappropriate operation from them is, of course, unacceptable but I've yet to witness it.

We found them quite good, one didnt have much idea and asked Di why she was lifting the bottom paddles before opening the gate, Di explained that when the lock fills by 6" due to the water coming through the top gate you can't open the bottom ones without draining the lock first.

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

Well said as well! (run out of greenies!)

I have been lucky that only ever met Vlockies who are nice and helpful.     2 summers ago crossed the summit at Crick, both staircases manned by very good VL's in fact in one case a couple of boaters who we met up later on our travels on their own boat!  Small world.   

As to lifting paddles, usually its Mrs Dharl who is on the helm and we, like others, have our system of nods and thumbs up  to know when to open paddles and how much.     If I am helping another boat through a lock I always check with the boats helm that they are ready for me to open and open at a steady pace and make sure they are happy for me to open fully.    

As a slight aside we always have a brief chat each morning before we set off so we know approximate how many locks we are planning to do and who will be working each lock as well as anything that might be out of the normal.    Deep sea we call that a "tool box meeting" whilst those in the airline industry also have similar briefings prior pushback, take-off and before descending on arrival as well.  

7 hours ago, nicknorman said:

No, I'll do anything for a free pint ... well, almost anything!

My bits of paper that allow me to fly helicopters in the eyes of the law, have expired. Anyway, the licence permits one to fly. Competence is demonstrated by a 6-monthly proficiency check. Is there an equivalent for you? (genuine question).

As to gliders, no there is still no licence or other bits of paper required in order to fly a glider. EASA are working on killing that off but not yet. I don't even need a proper medical any more, if you have a driving licence that's good enough.

Jeeeeeesus you can fly a glider as easily as buying and driving a narrowboat? blimey that's nuts innitt!! Yes we do have to renew our licences they last five years ( mine is due next month ) I need a medical also renew my first aid certificate and show proof of using the right kind of boat for my particular licences. From age 65 its renewable yearly and medical yearly.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Jeeeeeesus you can fly a glider as easily as buying and driving a narrowboat? blimey that's nuts innitt!! Yes we do have to renew our licences they last five years ( mine is due next month ) I need a medical also renew my first aid certificate and show proof of using the right kind of boat for my particular licences. From age 65 its renewable yearly and medical yearly.

My old dad still goes gliding most days, hes 80!

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

My old dad still goes gliding most days, hes 80!

Yeah its nuts but its because I suppose Joe public aint paying money out for it so it doesn't matter. Bloody insane imagine loseing control of a bloomin glider and smashing into a school field full of kids for instance or getting into the flight path of a jumbo or somett :o

23 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Disagree. My two boats are 45ft and 68ft. They behave completely differently in the same lock.

One might surge and the other not.

I find every boat behaves differently in locks, especially the vicious locks on the T&M.

Our two shareboats were both 58 footers, but the one with the Graham Reeves shell surged much less than the one with the Pat Buckle shell. 

The current boat is a 60 foot Alexander shell and moves less than its predecessors.

Going up we always open one paddle halfway and then see what the boat is doing, before opening the paddles further, unless familiarity with a particular lock has show we can rattle the paddles open.

37 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah its nuts but its because I suppose Joe public aint paying money out for it so it doesn't matter. Bloody insane imagine loseing control of a bloomin glider and smashing into a school field full of kids for instance or getting into the flight path of a jumbo or somett :o

According to Nick, it's only drones that do that, not gliders.

9 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Ah yes Dean and Dave. The "I'm in charge and don't you forget it" brigade. I'm sure that apart from the underlying insecurity that leads you to this behaviour, you are really both very nice people!:P

Anyway perhaps you should consider why this is so important to you, but not to me? And not to plenty of other people on the cut who look at you rather oddly if you seek permission to carry out the logical next step in helping someone through a lock.

If it's my boat in a lock then either me or the OH ARE in charge. If you do something that might cause damage to either us or the boat then I'm afraid whoever you are you will find in no uncertain terms that it's not going to be a good idea. 

My boat....my rules. 

Ive no doubt upset a few people over the years but that's life. I'd rather be in control of a situation. 

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, frangar said:

If it's my boat in a lock then either me or the OH ARE in charge. If you do something that might cause damage to either us or the boat then I'm afraid whoever you are you will find in no uncertain terms that it's not going to be a good idea. 

My boat....my rules. 

Ive no doubt upset a few people over the years but that's life. I'd rather be in control of a situation. 

Shared locks?

2 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Shared locks?

If I think something is going to be a problem then it's best to sort it. On one occasion I just moored up and let the other boat go ahead...the guy opened the gate paddles first on a deep lock and was too pissed to see that it was wrong. 

I don't share locks to make friends...if we end up friends that's a bonus.

My boat is my home and I'm not going to put it or me in danger

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I suppose medically speaking an accident could be caused at any age, but statistically the older you are the more likely an accident is. Same in a car

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

No, flying a glider is much harder than buying and driving a narrowboat. However there is a "meritocracy" system in the uk in that gliding requires other bods to hold your wing, operate the launching system etc. These bods come attached to gliding clubs that are under the umbrella of the British Gliding Association. You won't be able to launch your glider if you are considered incompetent by your peers. So although in theory it would be possible to buy a glider, pay a butler to hold one's wing and the footman to drive the winch, launching oneself from one's extensive parkland, in reality this doesn't happen and it is a really good system and far better than in private power world where, a bit like your car driving licence, once you've got your licence you no longer are subject to any supervision. Sorry for totally off topic!

For you boating licence renewal, is there any sort of proficiency check or is it just a matter of filling out a form, showing you are reasonably current, and paying a fee?

3 hours ago, frangar said:

My boat....my rules. 

Do you wear a funny hat with scrambled egg?

10 hours ago, DeanS said:

Very funny:)  ok then...a simple question to weed out a simple answer...

When a boater enters a lock...WHO do you feel is "in charge".  SOMEONE has to be "in charge". What if something goes wrong, and there needs to be clear quick communication, and no one knows WHO is in charge. If a volockie things THEY are in charge, and the owner of the boat feels differently, surely you agree it adds a danger to the mix which should't exist. 

and yes...I do have a personal chip on my shoulder about people helping, interfering,  helping without asking first, after nearly having my kids and boat hooked up on a side brick in a lock on the L&L. 

As a disclaimer....I don't know the locks the OP was going through..perhaps they are very slow and you have a point, but I am talking generally :) 

peace to all.

When I enter a lock, I don't feel anybody is particularly "in charge" usually one of us is "in charge" of operating the boat - he has his hands on tiller and maybe throttle lever so it's pretty obvious. The other has a windlass in his hand so is clearly in charge of operating the lock. The process of going through a lock is a familiar one, no one needs to be in charge of the overall process.

HOWEVER if something goes wrong, everyone is in charge of drawing attention to the problem and dealing with it. Typically this would be by pressing the "pause" button aka closing any open paddles.

What you DON'T want is someone not calling a problem because they feel disempowered because they've been told they are not in charge, or not taking the initiative to stop a minor problem becoming a major problem.

What you DON'T want is the person "in charge" saying "What? What's the problem? I'm in charge and I can't see a problem" when someone else, deemed not in charge, sees a problem and eg calls for paddles to be dropped.

Being "in charge" is only a safe situation when you are on your own. Otherwise it is safer to have a culture where everyone is "in charge" of ensuring safe passage through a lock. Otherwise known as a team effort.

This "I'm in charge, and don't you forget it" culture has repeatedly proven to be disastrous in aviation and is thus no longer the culture. It seems that some folk in boating world haven't realised this yet, although admittedly it matters less because the resultant avoidable accidents have less serious consequences.

Edited by nicknorman

Never had a problem with Vlockies, always found them to be very helpful. It's other boaters traveling down the flight whilst you are ascending that I find tend to be in too much of a hurry to crank the paddles fully open before you are ready.