Suspicious Boat activity

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I once had a dentist called Mr Sampson. 

This effect has a name. "Nominative determinism". Where someone with an 'occupation-related' name tends to pick that occupation as a result. E.g. someone called Sparks will be more inclined to enter the electrical trade than they would be otherwise.

So with the surname of Dyer should my husband have become an undertaker or a serial killer?

I suppose being a will writer is quite apt!

8 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

So with the surname of Dyer should my husband have become an undertaker or a serial killer?

Or a more pleasant role would be in colouring fabrics. 

Without researching it, I would assume this is where the name came from. 

My best friend at school was called Richard Bydawell. We always assumed he had an ancestor who lived "by the well" in their village. 

20 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

Being as you are from the manor in which I spent a few years of my childhood, I suspect you also know your fair share of William Williams, David Davids, etc. :D

Just now, Loddon said:

Wayne Kerr make very good test equipment

http://www.waynekerrtest.com/

Yes, in the early 70's they had a premises adjacent to the A3 at Tolworth in Surrey, with their name lit in huge neon letters. As a 17 year old it always amused me as I drove past.

I often wonder how many accidents were caused by people looking at the factory sign, rather than where they were going.  :D

34 minutes ago, Starcoaster said:

Being as you are from the manor in which I spent a few years of my childhood, I suspect you also know your fair share of William Williams, David Davids, etc. :D

You're right! And Joan Jones though changing surnames when getting married may account for those!

my friend's mother became Nancy Mancy when she got married

23 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

We had a guy whose name was John Thomas. Honest. And he was six foot plus tall.

my ex daughter in laws maiden name was Kerr. I often asked if her dad's name was Wan!

Done the tannoy trick with that name back in the 70's. Asked to page Mr Kerr when asked for first name I replied Wan. 'will Wan Kerr call I know you who asked for this call management will get you' came  over the tannoy never did hear anymore.