Suspicious Boat activity

ditchcrawler

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Even that wears a bit thin once you've seen ten!

The most distasteful boat name I've seen so far is "Sloake Hunt". Saw it a few years ago moored near SeaWorld in Brum.

I used to have a client named Mike Hunt. 

Hey, it wasn't his fault. 

I also had an untidy boss once with his name on his office door: A Heap. 

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Boat just passed us called "Crack of Dawn"

Just now, WotEver said:

Yes that was a schoolboy trick to play on a new switchboard girl back in the days when I worked in a factory. Tannoy calls went out for people receiving incoming phone calls. Get an outside line and call your own switchboard number and ask for a call on the tannoy for Mike Hunt. The tannoy call would be "Calling Mike Hunt. Phone call for Mike hunt". Desperately juvenile but the shop floor always cracked up! 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Yes that was a schoolboy trick to play on a new switchboard girl back in the days when I worked in a factory. Tannoy calls went out for people receiving incoming phone calls. Get an outside line and call your own switchboard number and ask for a call on the tannoy for Mike Hunt. The tannoy call would be "Calling Mike Hunt. Phone call for Mike hunt". Desperately juvenile but the shop floor always cracked up! 

A similar crack was performed at my local once with the barmaid calling out "Anyone seen Mike Hunt?"

She was really confused by a chorus of "Not yet, love!"

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I once worked with a Tom Morrow!

3 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Where I used to work, in addition to Mike Hunt, we used to ask for a call to be put out for Don Keebles.

• Greenie 1

I worked with a girl called Julie Andrews, and a bloke I knew called George Dick called his daughter Sonia! I imagine she married the first bloke who looked her way.

Edited by zenataomm
fat fingers

5 hours ago, WotEver said:

When I was at school we had a thing called "Speech Day" and one programme said "The vote of thanks will be given by the head boy A Bore.

I kid you not Albert was the head boy.

I went to school with a nice guy called Richard Head. 

When my eldest daughter was born there was a lady in the maternity home who had just given birth to a boy she called Toby, her surname was Jugg.

A friend of mine from New Zealand has been blogging their canal adventures this year with photos of narrow boat names - there are a lot of sad names out there, too many to list here as I don't want to be sick on my keyboard!

My boat is called Cobweb, it was when I bought it and for some reason it seems to attract every spider for miles around .........

Edited by manxmike

We had a supply mistress at school many years ago who was called Mrs Luff.  We were doing something in English about how the meaning of words develop and she told us her first name was Gaye, we nearly died!  She said it proved a problem then (the late 80's) but when she married her husband in the late 60's Gay was used as a word for happy, not its layer connotation.

Sadly though being the stupid 14 year olds what we were, we still cried with laughter.

3 hours ago, Tawny75 said:

We had a supply mistress at school many years ago who was called Mrs Luff.  We were doing something in English about how the meaning of words develop and she told us her first name was Gaye, we nearly died!  She said it proved a problem then (the late 80's) but when she married her husband in the late 60's Gay was used as a word for happy, not its layer connotation.

Sadly though being the stupid 14 year olds what we were, we still cried with laughter.

I've known two women with the name Gaynor, and both never abbreviated their name.