Simple TV. Is it possible?

MtB

Featured Posts

15 hours ago, stegra said:

You can buy a dongle that lets you view TV on a computer, laptop, tablet, phone etc. via the terrestrial signal. Therefore not using data. Still need to have a suitable aerial. I doubt the ones supplied will be much good used inside a steel box. Might save on the cost of a TV though.

Example here.

Take care - I had one with a laptop - completely useless as it only worked with analogue transmissions - not Freeview.......

13 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Take care - I had one with a laptop - completely useless as it only worked with analogue transmissions - not Freeview.......

As did I but that link is for DTV :)

On 14/07/2017 at 23:42, nicknorman said:

True but that was just populist pseudo-doc rushed out as hot (no pun intended) news. A proper documentary would take months to research and prepare. This is why I tend not to watch panorama much, if it's a reactive doc. However the Beeb do a lot of other good stuff. It's not perfect, but when you look at what eg the Americans have to put up with, it's bloody fantastic!

A lot of decent BBC stuff is available by the streaming companies like Netflix.  America has made Netflix popular due to there dismal broadcast TV!  No ads, good selection of programs (not great in the latest films, but good in TV programs).

Unless you really want to watch Live TV and/or iPlayer then streaming services are the way to go.  Via a mobile device you have the choice on Netflix on what steam quality you would like.  I think I get around 200MB an hour on the lowest.   If iPlayer did full series programs like All4 then iPlayer would be good.

I think Netflix and/or Amazon are now also allowing you to download programs to watch later (BBC have done this for a while) so I'd try downloading while you are enjoying a sociable ale in a suitable hostelry and watch later when you are in deepest darkest countryside with poor signal.

On 13/07/2017 at 22:56, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm just wondering about getting a telly on the boat. I only want to watch BBC and ITV. BBC2 would be a bonus. (I'm sure that nice Mr Athy will approve of my approach!)

I am sure that if we lived on board, we would have a television; as it is, it's something that we don't really miss while we're on the boat, and to which we look forward on our return home. 

I must compliment you on the accuracy of your description.

2 hours ago, KevMc said:

I think Netflix and/or Amazon are now also allowing you to download programs to watch later (BBC have done this for a while) so I'd try downloading while you are enjoying a sociable ale in a suitable hostelry and watch later when you are in deepest darkest countryside with poor signal.

Netflix is probably the better choice overall for content but I think Amazon is better for downloading.

Netflix only introduced this facility earlier this year and much of the content can still only be streamed, not downloaded. If what you want to watch is not a "Netflix Original" then there's a good chance it can't be downloaded. Hopefully this will improve eventually.

47 minutes ago, MrBeethoven said:

Netflix is probably the better choice overall for content but I think Amazon is better for downloading.

Netflix only introduced this facility earlier this year and much of the content can still only be streamed, not downloaded. If what you want to watch is not a "Netflix Original" then there's a good chance it can't be downloaded. Hopefully this will improve eventually.

I actually find it the other way way in that a lot of content can be downloaded more often than not.

Does anyone have NowTV?  Is this stream only or can it be downloaded?

Edited by Robbo

2 hours ago, Robbo said:

I actually find it the other way way in that a lot of content can be downloaded more often than not.

Does anyone have NowTV?  Is this stream only or can it be downloaded?

I had Now TV for 2 years until about 6 months ago and it was definitely streaming only. I suspect it always will be as Sky will not want to cannibalise their main offering (which includes Sky Go) too much.

If you are finding Netflix allows downloads more often than not then either they have drastically improved it recently (which I look forward to checking when I go home) or we watch very different things. House of Cards (Kevin Spacey version) is one of the few things in my list that can be downloaded.

On 13/07/2017 at 23:03, Jess-- said:

A lot of boats (mine included) use the moonraker DTV1000 aerials for normal tv

I found it outperformed my directional aerial by a good margin (and no messing around aiming it)

I bought one of these for £45 from Maplin as a back up for satellite. We were moored at Spiceball park in Banbury where, due to the canal being tree lined, line of sight doesn't work. All the reviews seemed to suggest that it worked surprisingly well so I bought it even though I was very sceptical of the claims. The kit includes a bracket mount as well as a sucker mount. The unit is powered from the coaxial cable by a small device which can be powered by either a 12v fag lighter plug or a 240v power supply- both provided. I used the sucker mount and the antenna stood three inches above roof level, tuned it in and it found all of the freeview channels. Later in the evening we heard a clunk outside but couldn't see anything untoward. In the morning I realised that this was the antenna falling on to the deck. Semi trad so surrounded on all four sides by steel but the picture had been unaffected. I overcame the sucker problem by cleaning the area where I wanted to stick it. Since then we have travelled to Oxford then to Brentford on the Thames and now head up the. GU. Everywhere we have been, this little antenna has worked. 

I'm sure that there will be someone who will say that they have had one and it didn't work in Braunston tunnel or something but for me this really is "plug 'n' play". No big pole, no compass, no mast finding app, no map.

I have one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cd/SLx-27895K4-Digidome-Outdoor-Aerial-Digital-TV/B00D76GSBE Had it years.  Prior to that I tried a few different sorts including big household roof aerials.  This one performs considerably better than any.  I can't think of a time when I've picked up less than 50 channels.  Usually it's in the 100s.  Never snagged on anything, and sits unobtrusively screwed into one of my roof boxes.  I've often considered wandering up to the next moored boat to ask why they're bothering with a 25' tall mast with a huge ariel on top.  Technology moves on.

25 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

+1 for Moonraker DTV1000 (and available for £10 less than the price quoted above from a well known online retailer named after a South American river)

Orinoco? Thought he was a Womble!