Best place to buy diesel

Nick D

Featured Posts

Just now, Nick D said:

Thanks for the advice so far.  I'm hopefully collecting the boat on 22nd July so might miss Halsall but it sounds like there are plenty of other options.  Good idea about using a dipstick also as I have no idea how much fuel there will be - why do boats generally not have gauges?  Also, I cant find anywhere on the sales particulars what the capacity of the fuel tank is, though it might well be in the paperwork on the boat itself.  What is the normal capacity of fuel tanks or do they vary wildly from boat to boat?

The only boat I have ever run out of diesel on was the one I owned that had a fuel gauge :lol:

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Because a dipstick works perfectly well and you only need to know the level every so often. As Nick says, don't let the level get too low, and do keep the tank full over winter.

The level of fuel in the tank can conveniently be expressed in inches or millimetres, by the way. There is a direct relationship between depth and litres for your own boat, but does it really matter? 

There certainly is, and mine - mixing my units - is near enough 10 litres per inch.

15 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

There certainly is, and mine - mixing my units - is near enough 10 litres per inch.

Well there isn't in ours - it's a saddle shape with the engine "riding in the saddle". First half worth a lot less than second half! Which means you have to use some interpretation on the gauge, but it still reads full when it's full and empty when it's empty!

46 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

That sounds about right.

26 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

First half worth a lot less than second half!

But it's only the second half that will ever run out, so that's the one that matters. If you're on the first half, the answer to "how much fuel is left" will always be "plenty"!

1 minute ago, Tawny75 said:

Just out of interest and to put away for future reference, please can you tell me how I would purchase diesel from a fuel boat?  Do I literally just stop them when they go past?

Yes, generally you just give them a shout as they are going past. Most have a mobile number or do social media so you can contact them if you know they are in the area.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

Just out of interest and to put away for future reference, please can you tell me how I would purchase diesel from a fuel boat?  Do I literally just stop them when they go past?

Yes, pretty much although before we go too far past is always preferable :)

Alternatively, most fuel boat operators and their contact details are listed on the lock13.co.uk website, so when you're coming into their area, give them a buzz and arrange a meet up somewhere.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Tawny75 said:

Very often when the fuel boats are near moored boats they will sound a horn or bell plus they are usually older working boats so a tooting horn accompanied by a thumpity thump engine will often let you know they are approaching.

You'll soon be able to calculate how many litres per hour your boat does. For example some boats use roughly about a litre an hour and so a quick look at the engine hour counter and jotting this down when the tank is full will then enable an easy calculation without dipping the tank so often.

Just now, Tawny75 said:

Ideally,  a little bit before they go past please!