Anything useful we should take?

Galoka

Featured Posts

Ah yes, I remember the name Lily Rose! We did meet one other known CWFer (Maisibert) during our trip, after Taking Strong Drink with Mr. & Mrs. Nightwatch at the Brasenose in Cropredy the previous evening. What a pity I couldn't put a face to your name, though I suppose the powdered wig would have been a dread giveaway.

We went out on Friday, spent the night at Fenny and returned on Saturday. During our outward trip we met a chap at a lock who was hoping to spend the night at Cropredy and enquired about availability of moorings. I told him that he could use ours for one night if he was stuck. It was a 46 foot boat called (I think) 'Planet'. So if it was him, he was indeed legal!

Just now, mrsmelly said:

If you pull up in front of my boat ( the dirty rusting green one ) and moor up nose on to me or anywhere along there were it says private moorings I can show you his chimneys. I have a brand new one in stock and two in use you can look at.. Soon as you go through " The narrows " pull in on the right, it WILL be busy I think. If not you should get in on the 24s just under bridge 206 past the watter point :D

Thanks, sounds like a good plan!

Hopefully see you tomorrow,

Sean

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Ah yes, I remember the name Lily Rose! We did meet one other known CWFer (Maisibert) during our trip, after Taking Strong Drink with Mr. & Mrs. Nightwatch at the Brasenose in Cropredy the previous evening. What a pity I couldn't put a face to your name, though I suppose the powdered wig would have been a dread giveaway.

We went out on Friday, spent the night at Fenny and returned on Saturday. During our outward trip we met a chap at a lock who was hoping to spend the night at Cropredy and enquired about availability of moorings. I told him that he could use ours for one night if he was stuck. It was a 46 foot boat called (I think) 'Planet'. So if it was him, he was indeed legal!

I remembered the boat name for a while but it's gone now due to old age. I don't think it was Planet but it sounds vaguely right so probably similar (Moon something seems to ring a bell). The length sounds about right as well so it probably was the same one. 

3 minutes ago, MrBeethoven said:

I remembered the boat name for a while but it's gone now due to old age. I don't think it was Planet but it sounds vaguely right so probably similar (Moon something seems to ring a bell). The length sounds about right as well so it probably was the same one. 

I certainly hope so. I probably connected the idea of "Moon" with "Planet", though of course I should have said "Satellite".

It was a good trip, marred only by some cretin emerging from Crop. Marina only yards in front of us...then, when I hooted, reversing...then going forward again and driving straight in front of us, so close that I had to slam the boat into reverse to avoid hitting him up the backside (part of me wishes that I hadn't bothered to do so). Apparently it was Braidbar's boat at this year's Crick Show so it may be that the steerer had only recently purchased it and is still a novice. That is as polite as I feel I can be about him, and considerably more polite than my remarks about him at the time.

@Athy - We're also having a good trip so far (unlike what happened to us in Rugby in May, due to another cretin, but I´m not going into that as I´m still mentally scarred by it).

We're heading to Oxford for our first venture onto the Thames, or indeed any river, and hoping the Oxford summit gets no worse before we return.

Anyway, to help get this thread back on topic I thought I'd get in a mention for beer as I'm not sure anyone has brought that up yet. And just in case the OP is not too sure which to get I'd suggest including some Adnams (other beers are available).

19 hours ago, colmac said:

Many moons ago before retirement and boat ownership, we went on a hire boat holiday from Stoke Prior. In all the excitement of getting two wee girls on board etc and doing the handover, we missed the fact that there was no loo paper on board. Necessitated a hasty cycle back to the yard. After that we made sure we had a roll or two of our own.

On my first canal holiday, in 1973, I was a member of a mixed Venture Scout group which hired two camping boats (ex-working boats with 12 bunk beds under the cloths) from Union Canal Carriers at Braunston, one for the gurls and one for the boyz.

In our hurry to get away first, us boyz untied the lines and set off first. Wasn't until we came to tie up that evening that we realised that the we had untied the wrong ends and the lines and the mooring pins were still attached to the bank at Braunston :angry:

We dispatched the scapegoat in a canoe we had brought with us and he retrieved them and returned in the dark! 

• Greenie 3

14 minutes ago, cuthound said:

On my first canal holiday, in 1973, I was a member of a mixed Venture Scout group which hired two camping boats (ex-working boats with 12 bunk beds under the cloths) from Union Canal Carriers at Braunston, one for the gurls and one for the boyz.

In our hurry to get away first, us boyz untied the lines and set off first. Wasn't until we came to tie up that evening that we realised that the we had untied the wrong ends and the lines and the mooring pins were still attached to the bank at Braunston :angry:

We dispatched the scapegoat in a canoe we had brought with us and he retrieved them and returned in the dark! 

Extra classic!

• 4 weeks later...

Transparent A4 plastic document folder for your Nicholsons guidebook. Easier than a map case to open and turn pages. It's left to the reader to work out the need for a "Nicholsons" (other guides are available to suit) and keeping it dry. (Ans - to find the nearest pub when it's hoofing down).